Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Okay,....so who was it here that bought this one? Who gets congrats?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Whew! Pretty pricey, but still worth it, all things considered. Hope it wasn't somebody that's looking to resell it!

Brad

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wouldn't pay a dime for a hat with holes in it. It's where I draw the line.

Also, Daisy bought me a vintage Borsalino from the same time period with the same lining and the same size (7 1/2) in immaculate shape with NO Holes! It was $55!
(It's the one in my avatar.)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Go with ART

That price should have been for a mint hat with no moth damage. Sorry, if any Lounger bought it, hope you can live with that, I can't.

I agree, for a few bucks less, you can have a mint NEW PURE BEAVER hat made to your spec's with brim + Crown + Colors.....for about $275. NEW. And you WON't BE DISAPPOINTED

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Gotta agree with HJ...

Hemingway Jones said:
I wouldn't pay a dime for a hat with holes in it. It's where I draw the line.
Me, too. I saw this hat but even if it had been in my size, I would have passed. I own two hats, both brown and black homburgs. Great condition. $75 bucks.

Andykev said:
For a few bucks less, you can have a mint NEW PURE BEAVER hat made to your spec's with brim + Crown + Colors.....for about $275. NEW. And you WON't BE DISAPPOINTED
Got a "Palomino" coming from Art (as soon as I return his conformer). This is going to be my one big hat "splurge" this year.

ZF

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Change your name to "Politeness-Man"

That is a nice hat but a silly price.

I'm not sure about the "1938" date though- I'm a little dubious on that issue.

However, The BR Baker Co., Cleveland, sold a lot of Borsalinos. I have one with their mark on the sweatband but it's more modern version of their logotype.
I'd say that mine is late-ish '40s, so it's actually quite possible that this fine example could be earlier than this.
Another 'Lounger, "FeltFan", has mentioned that he has one or two "BR Baker Co." Borsalinos.

My example has a $20 price tag- so again judging from evidence, this could be earlier '40s or "maybe" even a tad earlier.

(Edited due to ... er... not reading messages properly...)

B
T

Adam_H

New in Town
I was watching this too. Rather jaw-dropping final price when I logged on this morning.
A beautiful piece, but I'm still wiping coffee off the monitor.
Anyone 'fess up yet?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
No one probably will after our comments.

Note the buyer only has 31 purchases, a newby and infrequent ebayer. At 31 purchases, I was a dangerous woman on that auction site.

It's a good looking hat, too bad about the moth holes and the price.

karol

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Holy Canole

Wow! I am going to have to get of my hiney and spin up some real nice words and get my three borsas listed! I had a women contact me today with two really borsas she wanted to get rid of because she was moving. She said she just wanted a good home for them, and she would send them and then I could send here a check for what I thought they were worth. I reviewed the pics and told her I would give her $100 for both prior to her shipping them. She was elated.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh brother...

Some of the things said... tisk tisk tisk.[bad]

That hat is a beautiful hat! Yes, I said Beautiful full knowing there are a few moth bites! I wear some hats with moth bites and no one see them! I mean it, no one sees them!

Remember folks, it's a 1930's Borsalino... the collectable value is higher then the wearable value. It's also a 7 1/2 which is large for a vintage hat of this age. The size plays a roll in the price as well.

It's 70+ years old guys, it's one of them hard to find tall "un-tapered" crowns that we see in the movies... it's worth the price to a vintage collector... to a hat wearer, it can be seen as an old piece of crap.

In my eyes, I'd have paid that if I were a size 7 1/2!

=WR=

stylin

Familiar Face
Yeah, I gotta agree with some of the other gents, so much for too little. Let's face it $200+ isn;t cheap (at least not for me) I don't personally like it's look...the bow looks like it's ready to come undone. Yikes! The bow looks bigger that a bowtie on Pee-Wee Herman. The color...nothin to hoot and holler about IMHO. Ok, so you bought a vintage, I guess that's something worth blowing your nose about. But I'll pay half that amount, have the same color and lie through my teeth that my Fed is a vintage.

As my grandfather used to say, "lie about your purchases, women, and wine...and for those who know you're lying...you'll be too broke, too hardup and too drunk to give a Sh*t!

Boy I miss grandpa!! :eek:

Oh well,

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Seems I started a controversy.

Wild Root said:
Some of the things said... tisk tisk tisk.[bad]

That hat is a beautiful hat! Yes, I said Beautiful full knowing there are a few moth bites! I wear some hats with moth bites and no one see them! I mean it, no one sees them!

Remember folks, it's a 1930's Borsalino... the collectable value is higher then the wearable value. It's also a 7 1/2 which is large for a vintage hat of this age. The size plays a roll in the price as well.

It's 70+ years old guys, it's one of them hard to find tall "un-tapered" crowns that we see in the movies... it's worth the price to a vintage collector... to a hat wearer, it can be seen as an old piece of crap.

In my eyes, I'd have paid that if I were a size 7 1/2!

=WR=

Tsk, Tsk:rolleyes: It is an interesting hat and looks as if it was never worn, as the price tag is still attached, and a 7 and a 1/2 is hard to come by.
But still,.....too much money! :eusa_doh: I was going to bid on it myself,....but I saw it shoot up past $50 real quick. :eek:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That my friends... that is an amazing buy. When you consider the quality of hats you get today for the prices that you pay, A Borsalino from the 30's in that condition is worth $400.

Neither Art nor Graham nor Stetson, Borsalino, Akubra or anyother well know hatter today has been able to produce a hat with the qualities of a vintage Borsalino as the one bought here on Ebay. The Cavanagh edge and the ability to take rain without shrinking afterward and without drooping like modern hats alone makes it worth the price. While people like me have paid $300 plus dollars for custom hats from companies like Optimo, I know that Optimo nor any other company has been able to yet recreate the qualities found in vintage production hats from the 30's, 40's and 50's.

I may luck out and find a spectacular vintage hat for $5 or $12 bucks, though if it came to buying that Borsalino in my size for $400 or buying a custom made hat from the best modern hatter for $400, I'd buy the Borsalino (I still think vintage Stetson's Royal DeLuxe hats are better)!

Very good buy, and I hope it fits!

Wild Root

Gone Home
:eusa_clap

And how!

I’ve seen many modern hats… they’re nice and there’s some good hats made today that are very nice… however, you’ll never find me paying $400. + for a custom hat as long as I can find vintage.

What I’m not clear on is how some have thought that the ribbon on that hat looks tattered or ready to fall apart… it’s not going to fall off! It’s in really good shape and if you take a close look at the ribbon, there is a very unique pattern to it. The bow is perfect for such a late 30’s hat as well, I’ve seen many different bow styles from the period I like it, the color is unique, the leather sweat band is perfect, the liner is great! All it mentions is two moth bites… bites, not holes. It’s in really good shape all things considered.

If this hat was a 7 ¼ and I had the spare cash… I’d not even blink. I don’t find 1930’s Borsalino’s on ebay ever! It’s really getting harder to find good vintage fedoras.

As for me, I’m a Mallory man but, a good Borsalino is a beautiful thing.

=WR=

Magus

Practically Family
thefedorastore said:
Wow! I am going to have to get of my hiney and spin up some real nice words and get my three borsas listed! I had a women contact me today with two really borsas she wanted to get rid of because she was moving. She said she just wanted a good home for them, and she would send them and then I could send here a check for what I thought they were worth. I reviewed the pics and told her I would give her $100 for both prior to her shipping them. She was elated.

Annnnnd....your sending one my way?
(innocent look)

Size 7.5 please...lol

M

A deal is only "fair" if its fair to both parties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80