Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned acne treatment

BOOMBEBE

New in Town
you know when you think about it, this is a very gross but useful thread. sometime i dont know what makes acne so gross, unless its the type that take over the whole face :p goodness ladies. lets not have that happen.
these tool work magic for the ones that dont want to come out.
kjlhkhk.jpg

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Topical solutions always help, but I think the most important thing is DIET...start from the inside, right? Choose a diet rich in antioxidants, protein, good fats and tons of fruits and vegetables.

The best skin foods are berries, nuts, flax seed and olive oils, fish (if you eat it...), greens, etc. Avoid flour products and rice (except wild rice), potatoes, and especially avoid sugary foods...sugar and starch, basically. Chocolate is very beneficial if it's dark and low in sugar (ladies, rejoice!!). Also drink 8-10 glasses of water a day; hydration prevents inflammation, and water will purify your system and plump the skin cells. Adding a little lemon juice to your water helps too.

I have a photo shoot this afternoon, so I've been following a really strict skin regimen for the past three days. My skin was a MESS beforehand (thanks, hormones...), but it's clearing up quickly. It's not perfect, but the inflammation has gone down tremendously.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
A little OT, but did you know that 8 glasses of water a day requirement is a myth? There is no scientific evidence to back up the assumption. I was always getting yelled at by people because I drank coffee almost exclusively, I rarely drank water. People were always telling me that I existed in a constant state of dehydration and I was killing my kidneys.

As it turns out, if a person is a chronic consumer of caffeine, their bodies become immune to the diuretic effects, and actually derive almost the same benefit per cup consumed. Also, we get about 4 cups of water from the food we eat every day.

Just wanted to allay any fears people may have about being dehydrated. I was worried for years, but I feel better now knowing that dehydration is not a looming epidemic ;)

Articles here:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20020711213420data_trunc_sys.shtml

epr25

Practically Family
Well I wanted to try this before I jumped the gun. I tried the asprin and honey mask. It works. Incredibly enough. I have done it a couple times in the last week or so. I can already tell a differnce in my skin. I have pretty bad skin too. This is working better then the stuff from the doctor that I have also tried. Not to mention that it's cheap! I would suggest it. From one zit face to another.

wibblebird

New in Town
The aspirin honey mask - that's salicylic acid (an exfoliant and anti-inflammatory). I think honey is supposed to have antibacterial qualities to it, like tea tree oil. So, it's kind of a primitive version of modern chemical treatments of acne. People have been putting "chemicals" on their faces for years, just not always in a very refined form. Definitely cheaper than Proactiv Solution, though.

I agree with Gluegun Geisha about Diet. When I stay away from sugar, my hormones (and therefore my skin) behaves. Damn my sweet tooth!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
wibblebird said:
The aspirin honey mask - that's salicylic acid (an exfoliant and anti-inflammatory). I think honey is supposed to have antibacterial qualities to it, like tea tree oil. So, it's kind of a primitive version of modern chemical treatments of acne. People have been putting "chemicals" on their faces for years, just not always in a very refined form. Definitely cheaper than Proactiv Solution, though.

I agree with Gluegun Geisha about Diet. When I stay away from sugar, my hormones (and therefore my skin) behaves. Damn my sweet tooth!

Honey is also high in antioxidants...ever wonder why it'll stay in your pantry for years without going bad? Sugar is an exfoliant, too. I love putting honey on my skin, but you've got to watch out -- it melts with your body heat, so keep a towel handy.

I don't trust Proactiv. Sure, benzoyl peroxide has worked well for loads of people, but Proactiv is loaded with preservatives and other needless ingredients. I heard that it's best to use a mild cleanser anyway.

My skin looks nice when I go completely starch and sugar-free, but it doesn't stay that way, and I feel deprived, moody and exhausted after a few days of that regimen. It's something helpful to do before a photoshoot, though. I do best when I incorporate some wheat products into my diet, but don't overdo it, and eat sweets in moderation. I've been eating potatoes and some non-white bread lately, and my skin has actually been better than usual. Your body responds well when you give it what it needs. When you're breaking out, it's a signal that something is out of balance.

Inflammation tends to occur when your blood sugar spikes. Refined sugar is definitely an inflammatory. A good [NATURAL, CHEMICAL-FREE, NON-CARCINOGENIC] alternative sweetener is agave nectar. It keeps your blood sugar level in check, and doesn't taste funny like stevia. It's a good honey alternative for strict vegans.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Honey is a fantastic antibacterial! I mix it with turmeric, which is also antibacterial. Honey softens and makes the skin glow and the turmeric (the yellowish-gold stuff in curry) also serves as an antibacterial. This stuff CAN and SHOULD be fought naturally!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Are you a picker?

I'm a HUGE picker and always will be.. don't try and stop me!!! I know when to stop tho, and don't "dig"...and I don't get scars.
The end of a hair pin or bobby pin works nicely.
Ugh, gross, I know.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
BTW, this is really nasty but I must say it.... being a hairdresser I see a lot of ears! Lots of ears full of blackheads! So of course I am compulusive about keeping my ears cleaned out too. My mom is one of the worst, and I know mine would probably look just like hers if I didn't keep up on them!
Sorry, TMI!
Nikki

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
BOOMBEBE said:
you know when you think about it, this is a very gross but useful thread. sometime i dont know what makes acne so gross, unless its the type that take over the whole face :p goodness ladies. lets not have that happen.
these tool work magic for the ones that dont want to come out.
kjlhkhk.jpg

OMG, please don't use that thing on your face! All you are going to do it make welts.

I posted some info about acne under the Aspirin thread, but now I am thinking I should post it here also.

I deal with rosacea every day (flushing red cheeks), super dry skin, and I had bad break outs along my chin a few years ago. And like all of you, I tried everything. I wish I had done my research first. I have to mention acne.org and their forum.

If your acne is severe, please see a dermatologist.
If you just have a few spots to get rid of, salicylic acid is only going to dry them and your skin. Same ingredient as this aspirin mask.

I know people who use the aspirin mask and it's good for gettting rid of redness and inflamation. They mix 2-3 aspirin with a little aloe vera gel to make a paste, let it dry and rinse it off.

What I used for my acne was Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment. All it is, is Benzoyl Peroxide. It dries and it gets into the acne to kill the bacteria.

Other recommendations: Do not use regular soap on your face. Treat your facial skin like fine silk. If your skin moves when you wash it...you are being too rough. If you have dry/sensitive skin, do not exfoliate. It only makes it worse.

For black heads, and pimples...don't squeeze them! You will only create welts. My dermatologist said I might want to try one of those strips that you put on and pull off...but my old fashioned way is a sink of hot water, and a towel over my head. open the pores, wash lightly, then cold water to close them back up.

I wish you all the best of luck. I know how hard i is to deal with something that can make you think twice about your self image.
-Ann

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
thebadmamajama said:
Honey is a fantastic antibacterial! I mix it with turmeric, which is also antibacterial. Honey softens and makes the skin glow and the turmeric (the yellowish-gold stuff in curry) also serves as an antibacterial. This stuff CAN and SHOULD be fought naturally!

Eating turmeric supports your skin as well...it's amazing stuff. It regulates hormones, and is sometimes used to treat depression holistically.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Diet

Acne is your body trying to get rid of internal toxins, so diet is key. The top antioxidant is vitamin A (even better than C). Take a standard amount (4,000 units (not mgs)a day?) of vitamin A for a month and see what happens.
When using a hot wash cloth to open them, use as much heat as is comfortable without burning. Actually, using the hot wash cloth to open the pores can make them clear up with out squeezing. (Don't squeeze!)

nyx

One of the Regulars
ohairas said:
BTW, this is really nasty but I must say it.... being a hairdresser I see a lot of ears! Lots of ears full of blackheads! So of course I am compulusive about keeping my ears cleaned out too. My mom is one of the worst, and I know mine would probably look just like hers if I didn't keep up on them!
Sorry, TMI!
Nikki

Sort of related to the ear thing (shudder), what works on my pimples doesn't seem to work on my blackheads and enlarged pores. Unfortunately, I'm cursed with both--although it's calmed down in my old age :p Does anyone have a natural solution for that? I've read the thread about the oil on oil method, but was wondering if anyone had tried something else that worked.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Acne is your body trying to get rid of internal toxins, so diet is key. The top antioxidant is vitamin A (even better than C). Take a standard amount (4,000 units (not mgs)a day?) of vitamin A for a month and see what happens.
When using a hot wash cloth to open them, use as much heat as is comfortable without burning. Actually, using the hot wash cloth to open the pores can make them clear up with out squeezing. (Don't squeeze!)

Not always strictly true. Hormones are often the culprit, in fact for me, they are the only culprit!

DrMags

New in Town
Fleur De Guerre said:
Not always strictly true. Hormones are often the culprit, in fact for me, they are the only culprit!

Very true. Many different forms and causes of Acne

It might be TMI but I find my acne is always better when I'm on birth control pills (hence the theory my acne is mostly hormonal)

Although I will admit when I go on a water binge (at least 2 liters a day) after about 2 days my skin looks a lot better.

Unfortunately I went off OCPS for awhile and I feel like I'm 16 again. Huge cystic acne on my chin? anyone have any suggestions before I slink off to the dermatologist and try accutane? I've tried a ton, including prescription and I'm frustrated to tears. I'm 25 and a medical professional, acne is not fun

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thats the identical problem I had/have. I came off BC and had a horrendous cystic acne breakout that lasted about 4 months, until I gave up and went back on BC. Unfortunately, I now have light scarring and regular breakouts, and am rarely completely zit-free, whereas before, I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of really big zits I'd ever had in my entire life :(

Niphredil

New in Town
gluegungeisha said:
My skin flared up after going off the Pill as well! Grrrr...it's calming down, though. But I never had breakouts like that in the first place! Ridiculous.
Same here. Nothing much during my teens, but now since I stopped BCP's...... :rage:

Anyway, I also wanted to comment on the Vitamin A recommendation.
Vitamin A is a fatsoluble vitamin and will thus accumulate in your body(fat) where it might become toxic if taken too much.
Normal varieting diet contains more than enough Vitamin A.
Be careful not to exceed the maximum daily amount if you still decide to take this.

(Note: This is about internal use, I don't know exactly about external application)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner