Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Haversack

One Too Many
Reading this entire thread at one go has made the fact that peoples' naming choices are heavily influenced by popular literature, (and laterly, by movies.) Probably #1 for this practice is the Bible. Many of the current common names here in the USA derive from the New Testament and are often of Greek origin. (e.g. Peter, John, Andrew, Thomas). In centuries past, names from the Old Testament were more popular, hence Ezekial, Hezekiah, Hepzabah. Then further back you have those names so popular among the Puritan set intended to instill their meaning to their recipiant; Faith, Prudence, Sword-of-the-Lord...

In 19th C. England, you have the Gothic Revival arising out of the Romantic Movement and names from the chivalric fiction by Sir Walter Scott and Tennyson became almost synonymus with English upper-middle class. Percival, Lochinvar, Galahad. Nowadays a boy given one of these names is almost guarenteed to be either the fastest runner or toughest fighter in school.

In fact, some names have been whole-cloth inventions of authors and which later became popular names of their own. The classics of this type are "Wendy" from Barrie's _Peter Pan_, "Cedric" from Scott's _Ivanhoe_, and "Fiona" which was the pen-name of the 19th C. author, William Sharp. So all those Tolkeinesque names popular for children born in the late-1960s-early 1970s are following an old tradition.

And of course, some names from each of these waves of name-popularity linger on either in general practice or in regional/subcultural practice. Mix this with the tendancy for names to handed down within families and you can get some interesting reappearances of older names. For awhile, I was slated to be named Holger. This changed when some of playground-permutations of it were realized. My family then resorted to the old practice of using the name of the saint whose feast-day was my expected due-date. Much safer.

Haversack.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
The actress Wendy Hiller said she was named after the character in Peter Pan.

I have a friend named Wendy and I asked her if she was named after the character in Peter Pan. "No," she said, "I was named after Wendy Hiller."

karol

Rosie

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
At the store I work in, I do most of the interviews and hiring. I've seen "Shithead" on a job application a few months ago. When the young lady called to inquire about the status of her application, she pronounced it "shah-Thayd". I laughed last week when two applications came across the same day where both applicants were named "Unique".

I have a distant cousin named Unique, some other members of my family liked it so much when they had a child, they named her Unique. That was pretty funny.

My brother's name is Sean, my dad said my mom named him after Sean Connery who my mom thought was SO hot at the time. My mom says it isn't true, she just liked the name Sean. People sometimes pronounce his name as "seen" which I usually find weird.

Roger said:
We named the boys Portuguese names;
Rocky Joao
Justin Francisco
Ernest Joaquin
and the girls
Teresa Maria
Elvira Isabella

Hahahahhahaha! You are kidding right? lol
The first two boys names are more likely to be found with Italian recipients. Remember Rocky Colavito? lol
Justin is short of the Roman Emperor Justinian or his son Justinian II. Both that and Francisco is of Italian origin. There used to be an Italian restaurant around here named Francisco's. lol
Elvira Isabella?! That is in the same boat. Remember Isabella Rossalini? lol
Now I know you are kidding.:D

Regards,

J

Roger

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Hahahahhahaha! You are kidding right? lol
The first two boys names are more likely to be found with Italian recipients. Remember Rocky Colavito? lol
Justin is short of the Roman Emperor Justinian or his son Justinian II. Both that and Francisco is of Italian origin. There used to be an Italian restaurant around here named Francisco's. lol
Elvira Isabella?! That is in the same boat. Remember Isabella Rossalini? lol
Now I know you are kidding.:D

Regards,

J

You are not very well versed in Portuguese, Italian, Spanish or any Romansque languages. These languages were based off of Latin since they all were part of the Roman Empire. You need to do a little history check.
St. Rocky is a name given to many Portuguese boys. Of course Justin is short for the Roman Emperor; we were part of the Roman Empire!:eusa_doh: It is also a very popular name given to boys in my home country of Madeira. Do you know where Madeira is? Francisco is either the Portuguese or Spanish spelling of St. Francis of Assisi. In Italian it would be spelled Francesco.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Isabella was a Portuguese Queen who was very generous to the poor. Recently in May, the Portuguese community in the San Francisco Bay Area (Francisco; named by the Spanish Padre Junipero Serra:rolleyes: ) held numerous Holy Ghost festivals in honor of Queen Isabella. Are you familiar with or associate with the Portuguese Communties in San Francisco Bay since you say you live here? You post makes little sense other than to post for posting sake. Also, the Spanish Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand were the ones who paid for Columbus' voyage in 1492.:eusa_doh:

Roger said:
You are not very well versed in Portuguese, Italian, Spanish or any Romansque languages. These languages were based off of Latin since they all were part of the Roman Empire. You need to do a little history check.
St. Rocky is a name given to many Portuguese boys. Of course Justin is short for the Roman Emperor; we were part of the Roman Empire!:eusa_doh:

Really?! How many Roman legions were there in Portugal at the time then? How would you know which part it was since Portugal was not separate from Spain then. In fact it existed under a completely different name. Rome was not a huge influence in Portugal as you might think. Where are the ruins? There are none. The area governed itself under the auspices of Rome not in deference to it. :rolleyes:

Roger said:
It is also a very popular name given to boys in my home country of Madeira. Do you know where Madeira is? :

I am quite positive I know where Portugal is. Let's see if you know its history. What were the names of the founders of the island of Mediera who discovered it? Where did they come from and who populated the island?

Roger said:
Francisco is either the Portuguese or Spanish spelling of St. Francis of Assisi. In Italian it would be spelled Francesco.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :

You are mixing Spanish and Portuguese now. I know many Spanish Franciscos but no Portuguese Franciscos. It just isn't a popular name.

Roger said:
Isabella was a Portuguese Queen who was very generous to the poor. Recently in May, the Portuguese community in the San Francisco Bay Area (Francisco; named by the Spanish Padre Junipero Serra:rolleyes: ) held numerous Holy Ghost festivals in honor of Queen Isabella. Are you familiar with or associate with the Portuguese Communties in San Francisco Bay since you say you live here?:

Again you mix the Spanish with the Portuguese. Where was Isabella born? Not only not in Portugal or Spain proper but in Castile. In fact, she was the queen of Castille and Leon not Portugal---ever. :rolleyes: Alfonse V of Portugal at the time even supported her rivals. Her daughter, Isabella as well, was a Queen of Portugal but predeceased her.
Isabella VI the Portuguese Queen lived most of her life outside of Portugal. She was the Isabella you erroneously give credit to's mother.

Roger said:
Also, the Spanish Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand were the ones who paid for Columbus' voyage in 1492.:eusa_doh:

For once you are speaking of the correct Isabella and Ferdinand of Aragon. Isabella was biased toward Columbus because it has now come to light that he was also really from Castile as well. He kept that hidden all of his life.

Regards to all,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Castile, Leon, and Aragon are in Spain. The two monarchs spoke Spanish, and their names in Spanish were Fernando and Isabel. I can understand why we say "Ferdinand" (since it is the English version of his name); but why on earth do we say "Isabella" (which is the Italian version of her name)? The English version of her name is "Elizabeth". Why, then, don't we be consistent and say "Ferdinand and Elizabeth"?

Roger

A-List Customer
A brief history

Portugal became a part of the Roman province of Lusitania (Luso) in the SECOND CENTURY B.C.. Many Portuguese businesses incorporate the name Luso. In the 5th Century A.D. control passed to the Visigoths and in the 8th Century it was included in the Moorish Moslem conquest.

In 997 the territory between the Duro and Minho Rivers was retaken from the Moors by Bermudo, King of Galicia. In 1064, the reconquest was completed by Fernando I of Castile and Leon. These districts were reorganized into a feudal county. The northernmost fief, Comitatus Portaculenis extendting around the old ROMAN seaport of Portus Cale (present day Oporto) gave Portugal it's name. You want to see Roman Ruins? Visit Portugal, the whole country is such.:eusa_doh:

In 1418, Portuguese navigators explored the uninhabitated Madeira Islands and in 1427 discovered the Azores.

In the reign of Joao III Portugal was at its height of prestige. Many slaves were imported from Africa. The decadence of the uppers classes was legendary. In 1496 Jews began to be expuled, thus depriving Portugal of much of its middle class.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Not a very smart move.

The name Francisco is very common in Portugal. The three children who witnessed the Virgin Mary in Fatima were Lucia Dos Santos and her cousins; Jacinta and FRANCISCO Marto. Many Portuguese people named their children in honor of these three. Hence I named my son Justin Francisco.:eusa_clap

The Holy Ghost Festivals are in honor of the 6th Portuguese Queen Isabel.

Roger said:
Portugal became a part of the Roman province of Lusitania (Luso) in the SECOND CENTURY B.C.. Many Portuguese businesses incorporate the name Luso. In the 5th Century A.D. control passed to the Visigoths and in the 8th Century it was included in the Moorish Moslem conquest.

In 997 the territory between the Duro and Minho Rivers was retaken from the Moors by Bermudo, King of Galicia. In 1064, the reconquest was completed by Fernando I of Castile and Leon. These districts were reorganized into a feudal county. The northernmost fief, Comitatus Portaculenis extendting around the old ROMAN seaport of Portus Cale (present day Oporto) gave Portugal it's name. You want to see Roman Ruins? Visit Portugal, the whole country is such.:eusa_doh:

In 1418, Portuguese navigators explored the uninhabitated Madeira Islands and in 1427 discovered the Azores.

In the reign of Joao III Portugal was at its height of prestige. Many slaves were imported from Africa. The decadence of the uppers classes was legendary. In 1496 Jews began to be expuled, thus depriving Portugal of much of its middle class.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Not a very smart move.

The name Francisco is very common in Portugal. The three children who witnessed the Virgin Mary in Fatima were Lucia Dos Santos and her cousins; Jacinta and FRANCISCO Marto. Many Portuguese people named their children in honor of these three. Hence I named my son Justin Francisco.:eusa_clap

The Holy Ghost Festivals are in honor of the 6th Portuguese Queen Isabel.

You've told me nothing that we didn't already know. I already corrected the last part about the correct queen.
If there are Roman ruins, I never saw one.
You still didn't answer who founded Madiera though.

ortega76

Practically Family
I have no choice on the naming of my child if we have a son. My wife will uphold my family tradition of naming my son with my name and my father's name- Salvador.

If we have a girl. Ophelia Margerite.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
RORY?

I thought Rory was a boys name. Why are people naming girls Rory? Or Jordan for that matter?:eek: I also don't like the naming of girls Irish last names like Madison, Kennedy. Would you name a girl Sebastian?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
I thought Rory was a boys name. Why are people naming girls Rory? Or Jordan for that matter?:eek: I also don't like the naming of girls Irish last names like Madison, Kennedy. Would you name a girl Sebastian?

All I think of when I hear "Rory" is the daughter character on Gilmore Girls on the WB. I've never met a boy by that name.

Jordan, well, that makes me laugh as I'm a Jordanna. Had only my parents gone for the version people could spell/pronounce. lol

The only time I really hate the Irish last names is when there's nothing at all Gaelic in either parent's family, and their last name is something like "Horowitz." (<---a fine Irish name apparently) I know a few, and it just seems to clash badly. If their name was Connelly or something I wouldn't begrudge it a bit.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
"I thought Rory was a boys name. Why are people naming girls Rory? Or Jordan for that matter? I also don't like the naming of girls Irish last names like Madison, Kennedy. Would you name a girl Sebastian?"

Lincsong I have to agree with you. I never understood this new trend of naming children a name that used to be a last name: Connor, Parker, MacKenzie, etc...

I gave my girls traditional names, Natalie Kristine and Rebecca Cecilia, and I warn them constantly to think twice when they are ready to have their own children to not make up some cutesy name that no one can spell, or to pick one of the trendy names of the times or they will be one of many Dakota's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt