Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Cricket

Practically Family
My son is James Jackson

I think it is a Southern thing. Children must have two part names which are to be called only when in severe trouble. ;)

Dave E

One of the Regulars
My daughter's name is Cerys Rose Inara. Rose was my grandmother's name, who meant a lot to me, Cerys is just becaues we like the name and both come from Welsh ancestry. (Inara is a character name from Firefly, for those who don't know it.)

Mind you, she also has a double barrelled surname, because my wife kept her own name when we married (only child, so wanted to keep the name alive), making my little girl's initials CRIME... and yes, it was deliberate :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Cerys Rose Inara...thats just beautiful! Fragrant and mysterious! If i had had a daughter she would have been called Amelia after my great Aunt or Teresa after my grandmother or Cora just because i like old-fashioned girls names. My son is called Maximillian, Giovanni, Paul. We always call him Maxi, Giovanni after my Dad and Paul after his father. My uncle is also a Monsignore in Italy so the Giovanni Paul can also be Gian-Paolo, which made him happy as it's the late popes name and my late fathers and Maxi's father's name all rolled into one! Everyone happy! I want my son to be proud of his Italian heritage and i love traditional names too.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
my sons are Luke and Jake, they are identical twins so we wanted names that were similar, one syllable. we have a double-barrelled name as well, an English name and a Greek one so we wanted it simple!

before we knew we whether we were having boys or girls, they were going to be either Emily and Grace or Emily and Georgia.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My father's family tradition is to have two middle names, which opens up possibilities to be creative and honour relatives. Roman Catholic Irish on his father's side, and RC Anglo-Indian on his mother's side, he was Patrick Anthony Noel (the "e" in Noel is used with the two dots as in Christmas, born in December!). He was born in 1920.

My mother is pure Scots, so there has been influence there too.

I am Seán Michael Allen, for my brother John, brother Michael and my mother's middle name respectively (Allen in turn her mother's maiden name).

My brothers are John Patrick Joseph and Michael Anthony George. My sister is Dianne Janet Morag (born July 1969 so Diana the moon goddess was inspiration, followed by my mum's sister and niece).

My two girls are Sinéad Margaret Ila (Irish name we loved, my mum's name then my wife's grandmother's German name) and Ailsa Jean Harriet (Scottish place name - Ailsa Craig then my wife's favourite great aunt and my paternal grandmother respectively).

From a vintage point of view, I'd say Patrick, Anthony, Michael, John, Jean, Harriet, Joseph would all probably work. Janet I think has an older cachet to it that would work. Morag, Sinéad and Ailsa may be more ethnic than vintage, but Ailsa (pronounced "Ale-sa") is often pronounced "Elsa" by people we meet. Sounds sort of 1930s-ish!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
My confirmation name that I chose when I was 14 is Elizabeth-Rose. I chose it because the saint eventually became a hermit and I suppose I'm a bit of a loner (in a good way I hope!).
Considering that St Elizabeth Rose died in 1130 you could say it's old fashioned...

lostinthe50's

New in Town
Family Names are important!

I have 3 Children, and they all three have family names within their names.

Katelyn Marie Cora (Cora was my grandmother)
Abagail Jeanne Rose (Jeanne was my mothers middle name, Rose was my ex-wifes grandmother)
Scott Russell (Scott from me and Russell is his maturnal grandfather)

I like the older vintage names but with a little different spelling. I think it helps give them a link to their family history and hopefully give them reason to explore the past and try to remember the family.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I absolutely hated my name growing up and still do.

Betsy. Betsy Nell (Nell for my grandmother, Nellie).

I was in grade school when the movie "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" with Lili Tomlin came out so of course I got hit with "Betsy Wetsy". :rage:

I was so embarassed by it in high school that I told people my real name was Elizabeth.

My husband says if I hate it that much I should change it, but I have no idea what I would change it to so I guess I'm stuck being Betsy. [huh]

Barbigirl

Practically Family
YAY a thriving thread

So glad to see this thread has survived and flourished. Since I started this thread everyone had grown up quite a lot and the Caroline mentioned below has her own FL screen name.
So a little introduction and shout out to Sweet Caroline.

Barbigirl said:
No Dakotas or Jordyns for me...

JustJen mentioned to me her son (age 6) is names Baron. Names seem to come in and out of fashion like styles and I am aware of this because I named my daughters what I felt sounded old fashioned:

Emily Elizabeth (age 14) Elizabeth is after Grama's middle name & Aunts
Caroline Grace (age 10) It was the best we could agree on but I love it now

Emily is very commonly used now but it fits her.
What names do you like? Would name your children? Are names of people you know or admire? And what names do you abhor?

I simply cannot abide the name Cecil.

My brother and sister have this happen to them, never myself. I know if I hear Robert Lee or Dixie Rae, someone's in trouble haha.

Me and the lady-friend were talking about kids names the other day and came up with a few.

Tom (after my father and myself.)
Jefferson Davis, my favorite after my own name.
Frank (after Sinatra)
Dean Martin
Frederick

And for girls

Betty (after my grandmother)
Mary Ann
Delta Dawn
Daisy

She was partial to Memphis for a girl, but her cousin just took it, so I lucked out :)

Cricket said:
My son is James Jackson

I think it is a Southern thing. Children must have two part names which are to be called only when in severe trouble. ;)

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Neices are

Faith Marie and Hope Elise. Elise is a passed down family name.
My name is Charles ( also a family name) which I have always hated.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have an old fashioned name in fact I can think of no one under the age of 45 or 50 other than myself with it, Nancy
but I love the these girls names Katherine, Elizabeth, Joceline, and Rosalee I think they are all old fashioned
For boys I really like Joesph, Nicholas, Benjamin and James again very old fashioned

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
If I ever have kids, my first daughter will be named Maria Carmella, after my grandmother. My other grandmother is named Evelyn, and I rather like that name too, but I am only reserving one name.

lareine

A-List Customer
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Mine are
Wyatt Christopher
Dalton Thomas

All family names except Wyatt but I chose it because of my French ancestry and my love of old westerns.
Wyatt is not a French name.

From an English surname which was derived from the medieval given name Wyot, itself derived from an Old English name composed of the elements wig "war" and heard "brave, hardy". Wyatt Earp (1848-1929) was an American lawman and gunfighter involved in the famous shootout at the OK Corral.

Sweet Caroline

New in Town
Barbigirl said:
So glad to see this thread has survived and flourished. Since I started this thread everyone had grown up quite a lot and the Caroline mentioned below has her own FL screen name.
So a little introduction and shout out to Sweet Caroline.

I'm very fond of my name. I always used to get so mad when people tried to give me nicknames or shorten it to Carrie (and still do actually.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy