Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

fleur

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis said:
Whoah! Much as I didn't want to give it away - Neva is my favourite name for a girl, Fleur! How spooky :eek:

Holy macaroni that is mega spooky!!!

Fletch - I dont mind being called Lisa - I hate people calling me Lisa Marie!!! :D

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My wife and I just got married about 3 monts ago going on 4, so we are not quite ready to have a child yet, maybe next year. We have decided on a name for the boy if we have one, will be Cameron Taylor Russ. Cameron for my Scottish Clan and Taylor for how we are connected to that clan. It is just a good sounding name. For a daughter we keep toying with names. I pesonally like Michaela Barrett Russ. Michaela and Barrett are two of the sweetest little girls that belong to one of my cousins in Clan Cameron. I love them dearly and think of them as my wee ones.

Gray Ghost

canucklehead

New in Town
What's in a name?

My name is partly in keeping with a family tradition, and partly a concession made to my mother by my father. Y'see, the firstborn males of my father's side of the family for who knows how long had been named Walter _____ Shea, ie my father Walter Grant and his father Walter Malcolm, etc.

Well, when it came time to name me, I was to be Walter Michael. My mother, however, put her foot down and pointed out that my dad only ever goes by his middle name, or if on something official, W. Grant, and she posited nothing but problems with my classmates if I were to be a Wally. My father relented, and I got Michael as a first name and because I had to get SOMEthing of my name from my father, I got Grant as a middle name.

My wife and I decided that we wanted to give our daughter a name that was unique, without being among the Apples, Scouts, Moon Units and all that rubbish, so we decided to look backward in time. After much discussion, we agreed on Amelia. Full name Amelia Anna Elizabeth Shea. Anna from my wife's great aunt and Elizabeth from my grandmother.

I think we've talked to one person who's encountered an Amelia other than our daughter, and that was some aunt or grandmother or somesuch.

Roger

A-List Customer
Brian Sheridan said:
We are about to have a baby boy Feb 14th.

The biggest problem has been coming up with a name.

We are thinking about Bennett - after Tony Bennett. My wife and I went to his concert on a early date. I also interviewed him and found him to be a total gentleman.

Middle names have been tougher. We can't use my Dad's or her Dad's names in any combination. Mine is Ray; her's is Lee - Ray Lee or Lee Ray...sounds to "Dukes of Hazzard."

I'm like Bennett Cole or Bennett Truman - though Bennett Chandler Sheridan has a nice ring.

Any thoughts?

BRS

Anthony Bennett? Tony Bennett? Antonio DiBenedetto?lol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Vintage Baby Names for Future (or current) Offspring

Mr. Misanthropy mentioned it in the "Ever yearn for a Vintage Name" thread, and after searching I couldn't find one, so here it is:

Post the vintage baby names you plan on using, or have used already!

I don't have any children and am not sure that I ever will but here are mine:

Girls: (in no particular order)
Ingrid Elizabeth
Molly Grace
Charlotte Anne
Daisy Elizabeth
Elizabeth "Betty" Joanne

Boys: (once again, in no particular order)
Caleb Gideon
Edward James
Tobias "Tobey" Matthew
Robert Floyd
Thomas Charles

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Oh gosh, I've gone and opened a can of worms. lol I'll have to give this some thought and report back. I'm curious to hear what some of the others have to say.

This thread, covering baby names from the 20's through 40's is great to reference for some name ideas.

Does a vintage pet name work? I have a cat called Henry.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
For future babies:

Girls
Isabel
Clara
Frances
Hazel
Nora

Boys
Jack
Luis (pronounced the Spanish way, loo-ees)
Henry
Paolo

I assume Luis and Paolo are vintage?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
maggiethespy said:
I don't have any children and am not sure that I ever will but here are mine:

Girls: (in no particular order)
Ingrid Elizabeth

My best friend is an Ingrid Elizabeth. And Ingrid is a pretty unusal name. Her brother is Matthew and her sister is Nicola! But she is an unusal girl, so she suits it right down to the ground.

Minerva

Familiar Face
We currently have Abigail Rose. If we ever have another girl, she'll be Alyce Evelina.

Boys' names are more problematic around here since the husband's family runs to boys. All the 'good' ones seem to be in use already. [huh] I'm presently favouring Othello Joseph or Edouard Emile for a boy. I was toying briefly with Anatole Laurent, but I wouldn't want to saddle the poor child with the previous owner's peculiarities.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Girls:

Flora
Nettie
Letty
Ethel
Maude (or Maudie)
Muriel
Bertha
Rose
Florence
Anna
Frances
Lily

Boys:

Karel (Chharles, Karl)
Bernard
Joseph (Jozef)
Simeon
Bohdon
Harvey
Henry
Harry
Meyer
Jack
Manny

Pets:
(dogs)
Trixie
Whitey
Tippy
Bear
Rup-chand

(cats)
Hootie
Igloo
Mittens (Mitsky)
Rhapsody
Peg-Leg Pete
Squeak-box

All of these are family names of the last two generations, save the pet names. The pets have all been mine.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Undertow said:
As morbid as it may seem, this is absolutely excellent advice. At the very least, it could help a couple brainstorm.
:D :eusa_clap

Oh boy! Can you imagine what the kid will think 5-10 years later? "Mommy, why did you name me Edna?" "Well, honey, we went to the cemetery, and there was this fabulous headstone, and the lady who was buried there was named Edna Jane Merryweather..." lol

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Most of the old names in my family are saints names since most of them where Roman Catholic. But the other side was not so here are a few of thier names....
Some of the old names in my family are.
Emmett
Gertrude
Hazel
Ellen
Winnifred
Martha
Bridget
Francis- female
Nellie
Ida
Agnes
Austin
Leola
Reta
Dorothy

And then there are the Eastern European names which i think are really neat, and rare.
Apolonia
Rosalia
Tekla

tuppence

Practically Family
katiemakeup said:
I love boys names. My favorites are Mortimer, Montgomery, Argyle & Nigel.

I had a Great Uncle Mortimer(Mort)He was nice:)

I also knew a girl who was named after a tattoo on her fathers arm. Saves getting the tattoo removed.

I have a neighbour named Wendy and she has a brother named Peter. Her Mother chose those names on purpase.

Pets
I did have a Bonny Bunny
and when she got a bunnyfriend the obvious thing was to name him Clyde

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner