Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned red hair color?

RainbowBits

New in Town
Hi :)
Does anyone know what shade of red this would be called? It's from Ginger on Gilligans Island.
I've been looking through OTC Hair colors and i just cant seem to find a match. Most are either shocking red or too auburn (burgundy or brown tones)
Any suggestions for an OTC hair color that would be similar?

gingercolor.jpg

pumori

New in Town
I'm fairly sure Loreal has a shade which is actually quite close to the picture shown. Revlon colorsilk also has a similar shade, although it's not the highest quality hair dye. I would look for anything in the strawberry blonde range, it tends to be a lighter red.

RainbowBits

New in Town
ahhh strawberry blonde :)
i think i saw Loreal reddish blonde, but i put the box back lol
so its def not in the auburn family?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
When I use a light auburn blonde, I don't get Ginger's color, because I don't strip color off my hair but just lay it on top. Mine turns out a deeper, warmer red.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't have much experience with natural red shades though I've always wished I could pull off something like that. Actually, I tried in 87 but it was invisible except for a faint cast in bright sunlight. Aren't natural shades of red supposed to be chosen a few shades darker than you actually want it because it fades too fast or was that just an 80s thing before color protection improved? Sorry, I don't know better.:eek:

RainbowBits

New in Town
I dyed my hair the other day with Revlon Light Auburn, they had that little hair swatch thingy and the color looked nice.
I put two boxes on my Medium blonde hair and it came out a light strawberry blonde, still not Ginger enough, but at least im getting there lol
So im going to wait a month and try something else, maybe Loreal's Medium Reddish Blonde will have more ooomph?
Antje, I did see a few Copper Auburns, i wonder if this may be a better choice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw