Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The steering wheels are on the left side which would place this somewhere
in the US. I can’t say for a fact, but I’d doubt that a state would change or adopt right
lane driving while other states did not. This would cause accidents of epic proportions all over the state.
Having one State out of kilter with L/H or R/H drive would indeed be catastrophic, i was being facetious. However, there has been such a scenario here in Europe. Up and until 1967 (I think,) Sweden drove on the left. What a fun day it must have been when they switched over. You can still find that scenario but it's usually the off shore Islands like Hong Kong (Left) Mainland China (Right.)
The Caribbean Islands are a mish mash of left & right but the one curiosity that I like is Tortola, where they drive on the left in L/H drive cars. It's practically a US State. I'm not sure if the US dollar is their currency, but I didn't see anything else when we were there, although GB pounds were freely accepted. Tortola is a wonderful place, I was truly saddened by Tortola's destruction during the the recent hurricane.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
full-10752-7462-jcp_gas_station_tacoma.jpg

gas12.jpg

gas13.jpg

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Coalwood Good Year Service Station
coalwood6.jpg

Coalwood School marm Miss Coate on the steps surrounded by children. That’s all the
caption to this image.

5fd112bef58fff4df2b32830282060c4.jpg

No caption given on kids filling up bucket with gasoline.
Wonder how far they
had to walk?:(

1929.jpg

Circa 1929
No explanation given on this photo

unless someone thought it was a good idea....

”Hey kid... yank on the gas hose...thats always a knee-slapper! :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How the English speaking countries can give a product different names is one of life's curiosities, so I looked it up:

Petrol is short for petroleum, which is unprocessed crude or shale oil. Gas is short for gasoline, a petroleum byproduct, which is what the fuel used in most internal combustion engines is actually called. Americans and Canadians are right.

Well that's put me well and truly in my place. Don't think I will bother with diaper/nappy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Gasolene" was a popular variant spelling in the US, and some companies, notably Cities Service, made it their "official" spelling for a time.

35976798_4153415fc8.jpg

The little kid in an attendant's uniform was a popular Cities Service advertising character around 1940, to the point where child actor Ronnie Liss appeared in commercials on the company's NBC radio program, dressed in full pump-jockey regalia for the benefit of the studio audience.

A confectionary parlor with gas pumps must've been something to see.

3fingers

One Too Many
Some samples of my favorite illustrations by Ronald McLeod.

View attachment 88653

View attachment 88651
At first glance... I did a double take!
Woulda changed the whole aspect had
the kid used the middle finger.
But that’s just me and my warped
sense of humor! :D

Mobil coin operated Pegasus.
Supposedly, only five were made.

View attachment 88654
That looks very similar to a mechanical horse made in a small town near here. I need to do a bit of research.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Flying Red Horse was also a radio star -- Socony-Vacuum sponsored a number of programs during the 1940s which used a unique electronic sounder to simulate the FRH's arrival. An announcer would bellow out "THE FLYING RED HORSE BRINGS YOU...(name of program)," and you'd hear a sound like "beeda-beep, beeda-beep, beedabeep, beedabeep beep beep beep beep beep" blending into hoofbeats as the FRH landed and galloped off to wherever it is he spent the rest of the program.

During the Era, Socony never referred to the FRH as "Pegasus" in any of its advertising. He was always, and insistently, The Flying Red Horse. It's only since the company revived the logo in the 1970s after several years of disuse that "Pegasus" became its official name.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

She don’t look too happy Rob!

:mad::confused::oops::(:mad:
I get these looks when I aim my news video
camera at crime suspects being brought in for questioning at police headquarters.

One time a “Bonnie Parker” lookalike
hissed at me in a very venemous
foul language
that I squeezed the camera button and
accidently stopped recording.
It takes a lot for someone to make me
react this way.
I didn’t expect it from this blond cutie! :D

Last edited:
For the first picture, I suspect it's no earlier than 1964 or 1965, as the car at the farther pump is one of the first Mustangs, 64 1/2 as they were called by some.....

Was the '64 1/2 designation informal or not recognized by the company? For some reason, I thought Ford marketed it or at least referred to it that way, but have no evidence or even memory of why I feel that way.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Was the '64 1/2 designation informal or not recognized by the company? For some reason, I thought Ford marketed it or at least referred to it that way, but have no evidence or even memory of why I feel that way.
I'm in the same boat as you. My memory of the cars is that they were first available ca. April of 1964; I saw my first one on the street sometime that year. Ford may have marketed it to further distinguish it from the regular family sedans, hardtops, and wagons in their lineup. People were very much used to the annual change of models from each manufacturer, and new models were rarely introduced at any time other than the fall preceding the model year. So having a new car available in April would have been something notable -- even aside from the Mustang's sharply different looks and proportions.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I specifically remember billboard advertising for the 64 1/2 Ford. I even remember where that billboard was. But I wouldn't recognize one if I saw one. The only thing about the advertisement that I recall was the 64 1/2 part, which was unusual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari