Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Studillacs were a product of Bill Frick and went beyond a mere engine swap. Frick bought new Studebaker coupes and new Cadillac V-8s and combined them in his shop. He also went through the entire Studebaker and "tuned up" the body and chassis, fixing a lot of the quality issues that were endemic in South Bend in that era. The enthusiast press was pleased, and Tom McCahill's review is particularly memorable--but weren't they all?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It's also worth noting that while the Studebaker V-8 was small by 1960s standards, it was a respectable powerplant in its own right, and acquitted itself well in Golden Hawks, GT Hawks, and not a few Larks. An R-2 mill in a '53 Starlight would be a good combination!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Tiberius 1946
GAS_STATION_IN_TIBERIAS._תחנת_דלק_ליד_העיר_טבריה.D839-099.jpg

Dutch East Indies.
COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Portret_van_een_man_bij_een_benzinepompstation_TMnr_60045650.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 12.48.51 PM.png

:rolleyes: With those “biceps”, I don’t think there would be no problem opening those cans.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Reminds me of a corny old joke:

"Two not so bright fellows were traveling from the East coast out to California, and after they started out on their trip, they stopped at a gas station that had a sign reading, "Clean restrooms".

By the time they got to California, they had cleaned 852 gas station restrooms, and boy, were they tired."

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What used to really get us was when tourists would try to flush all their accumulated in-car trash down the toilets. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

The ultimate was when a vanload of pranksters stole a life-size wooden figure of a Hindu from the back of a giant wooden elephant outside a local tourist trap and left it sitting on the toilet in our ladies room. My grandfather went in to clean and nearly had a heart attack when he encountered the Hindu.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
crash.jpg

Looking at this picture and I'm wondering, is this in the US? To the left of the photo, a car is in a head on collision, the car behind, facing the same way, also looks to be involved. It's right hand, front wing appears damaged and there's debris on the road. Behind that you can just see the headlights and bonnet (hood) of a third vehicle. All these vehicles are heading down the left hand side of the road. To confuse the situation further, the second vehicle in the head on collision is on the correct side of the road, but the car adjacent to it, is not. Or is it? Was this in a State that adopted right hand drive? Your thoughts.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 88293
Looking at this picture and I'm wondering, is this in the US? To the left of the photo, a car is in a head on collision, the car behind, facing the same way, also looks to be involved. It's right hand, front wing appears damaged and there's debris on the road. Behind that you can just see the headlights and bonnet (hood) of a third vehicle. All these vehicles are heading down the left hand side of the road. To confuse the situation further, the second vehicle in the head on collision is on the correct side of the road, but the car adjacent to it, is not. Or is it? Was this in a State that adopted right hand drive? Your thoughts.
The photo might be reversed, or mirrored.

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Rob, this is a reversed or mirrored image of the photo.
In this case the Texaco sign is also reversed.

crash.jpg

crash.jpg

The light color vehicle in the middle left lost control and slammed head on with the other vehicle on the opposite lane.
There are no tire skid marks on the ground. This happened quickly and does not
appear that the vehicles were traveling at very high speeds. Otherwise the vehicles
would have sustained more damage and more debris on the ground.

The darker color vehicle seeing this slammed on the brakes and was hit from behind by the vehicle
behind him also causing it to go into the opposite lane as well.
The vehicle on the far right swerved to avoid the accident.
This is a chain-reaction accident which I have seen in my 28 + years
covering minor and major accidents on the roads and freeways.

The steering wheels are on the left side which would place this somewhere
in the US.

I can’t say for a fact, but I’d doubt that a state would change or adopt right
lane driving while other states did not.
This would cause accidents of epic proportions all over the state.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails