Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
a61464ab1d03b6eceaf2fb6425ee6c8f.jpg

Rob
Cute kids and a great layout. Peculiar language and alphabet, though. . . .

I specifically remember billboard advertising for the 64 1/2 Ford. I even remember where that billboard was. But I wouldn't recognize one if I saw one. The only thing about the advertisement that I recall was the 64 1/2 part, which was unusual.

Great info / memory - thank you. Today, everything is up for grabs as it all moves so fast and the generational shift from Baby Boomer-driven to Millennial-driven culture has thrown every business model into question, but there was a time in the '50s and '60s when things seemed so much more "established" and "set" so that even small variations - like "releasing" a new car model not "on cycle -" seemed important.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gas station & accessories including caption about the kids.

Lego.jpg

"Lego
A Natural History of Package Design
This is the 1958 box for Lego set 700/5.1 It shows three children so absorbed in play that they couldn’t even bother to look up at the camera. The children weren’t models but Lego’s managing director Godtfred Kirk Christiansen’s daughters Hanne (l) (who tragically died in an auto accident in 1968) and Gunhild (now Gunhild Johansen) as well as his son Kjeld (future owner of the company and heir to the Lego fortune)"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
About the only thing we did at the table was have supper! :D

I remember a small hand-me-down truck given to me by my uncle
and this song playing in the kitchen radio which I hated, but now
reminds me of my youth.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Lubritorium." That's a word you don't hear very often, like scriptorium. Can't be Latin, could it?

Auditorium ...
as in "high school auditorium dance" where I would stand on the corner in the dark
with my fellow “Clearasil” pimply comrades, watching peggy-sue dance with the football
gorilla & wondering why I would subject myself to this torture. :D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Gas station & accessories including caption about the kids.

View attachment 88842
"Lego
A Natural History of Package Design
This is the 1958 box for Lego set 700/5.1 It shows three children so absorbed in play that they couldn’t even bother to look up at the camera. The children weren’t models but Lego’s managing director Godtfred Kirk Christiansen’s daughters Hanne (l) (who tragically died in an auto accident in 1968) and Gunhild (now Gunhild Johansen) as well as his son Kjeld (future owner of the company and heir to the Lego fortune)"
I first saw Legos for sale at a W.T. Grant store (which is nostalgic in and of itself) in about 1963. I had no idea they were any older than that.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Auditorium ...
as in "high school auditorium dance" where I would stand on the corner in the dark
with my fellow “Clearasil” pimply comrades, watching peggy-sue dance with the football
gorilla & wondering why I would subject myself to this torture. :D
A high school dance is where the girls dance with each other and the guys stand around outside smoking.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Wood varnish on the floors, money baskets on top going from one
end of the store to the other. Cash registers were heavy and cashiers
would count the change to you with a smile.
Credit cards....what’s that? :)
Rockwell-3.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Rob.... I’m beginning to sound like a
broken record.
DF2CA743-9DEE-4AB2-A52F-27586D920858.jpeg

That was the shape & color of our transit buses. Only difference, there was a white
line below the windows all the way around.

Also, there is still a street with the traffic
lights on the sidewalk.

Most of them are now in the middle and
hanging high above.

Why am I pointing this out?

If you were to drive a 1939 or 1946
vehicle you would know what I mean.

For those not familiar:
The front windows are so art-deco small
that unless you have a reflector on the
dash or stick your head out the side door
window.... you won’t be able to see the
traffic light signal the way they are situated today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner