Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
'58 Edsel for $58 a month! :) Nice.
9BE4C3EA-5A58-49A1-9254-B14BA1E1E902.jpeg

Wait a minute---that comes to $511 a month in 2018! :(

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gas station from '20s-'30s
9E188636-FCB0-4650-8E9C-3530500D1026.jpeg

Although not the '30s, I grew up in small town where this was the
type of roads in
my neck of the woods. There's still some of those
houses around with outdoor roofed porches where folks would

sit in the afternoons to listen to the radio and enjoy tea or coffee
with pastries from the local bakery.

The pennies and nickles I got to keep gave me the chance to buy
Baseball cards that came with a slab of chewing gum.
The chewing gum tasted like
cardboard smothered in powdered
sugar.
Heck...who cared as long as I got the card to complete the
pack.
Topps and Bowman were some of the card companies I remember.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
7FF10EBE-F6FC-4B10-A130-692ED6C82106.jpeg

Front wire shield of the car and the hills reminded me of the times I would ride from
Merced to San Francisco on BMW.
Without a helmet the possibility of getting
pelted by bugs was 100%.The motorcycle
shield was fine. But at 6'3" the shield protect
only part of me. Unless you
were hungry,
you kept your mouth shut! :cool:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Good illustration of the "right facing" Flying Red Horse -- although he always faced left on the curb signs and product labels, company standards required that he be mounted on the building flying toward the station office. They had to manufacture both right-facing and left-facing variations of the big building Horses in order to meet this specification.

B1OsHeyCEAAzLDa.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Pegasus appeared on Mobilgas products during 1911, but it was in 1931, with the forming of Socony-Vacuum, that it was officially adopted as a trademark. The flying horse was first colored red by an artist at the Mobil Sekiyu division in Japan. A major makeover was done in the 1930s by the commercial illustrator Robert “Rex” Elmer. Not only was it given a cleaner and more graphic appearance, but the horse now flew from left to right, as opposed to from right to left.
eE1kPt.jpg

Custom repo signs for sale.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Mobilgas brand was used, sans Flying Red Horse, by the Vacuum Oil Company on a regional basis prior to the merger with Socony.

MobilgasVacuum1930.jpg

After the Socony-Vacuum merger, the Mobilgas brand didn't roll out nationally, using the Horse, until the spring of 1934, but stations in "Soconyland," the assigned territory of Standard Oil of New York, kept the Socony brand name on the curb signs until 1956.

18874340_1_x.jpg

Socony-Vacuum also included several other regional companies, including White Star Refining in Michigan, Magnolia Petroleum in the South, and General Petroleum in California. General insisted on keeping its identity after the takeover, and had its own variation of the Mobilgas shield, using a non-standard Flying Red Horse:

aoinOi-GAVk9gWjeV65zsg.jpg

The company abolished all these regional variations in 1956, adopting a single unified logo for all its stations.

100_4773__62041.1427668734.500.500.JPG

Mobilgas continued as the brand name of the gasoline until 1963, when -gas was dropped. If you look at post-1963 images of older stations, you'll see where those three letters were taken off the front of the building leaving just "Mobil."

The Horse turned direction for good with the adoption of the new corporate logo in 1965, which also coincided with the company dropping "Socony" from its corporate name. The original plan was to drop the Horse completely leaving as its only trace the red "o" in "Mobil," but they eventually settled for a reversed-direction version in a while circle, with simplified artwork.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
АЗС «Кермет» сильно отличается от остальных современных АЗС. И очень сложно представить человека, который решает воспользоваться услугами такой бензоколонки. Он заслуженно может получить звание героя. Самое лучшее место для любителей 90-х.
52AEB52E-DC9A-48E4-AB4E-73813690225A.jpeg

translation:
Gas station "Kermet" is very different from the rest of modern gas stations. And it is very difficult to imagine a person who decides to use the services of such a gas station. He deservedly can get the title of hero. The most place for lovers of the 90s.
12EFE31C-2652-4E14-9CD6-4F25056D80C7.jpeg

78962224-89F0-431A-8A7F-49F51B6C420F.jpeg

Texaco would love this :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner