Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Havana is falling into ruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw this link on Drudge to Reuters:

"The situation has become critical. There are areas of the city where buildings collapse every few days. The overcrowding is tremendous," said leading Cuban architect Mario Coyula, who fears Havana's architectural beauty is damaged beyond repair."

According to this article, Baroque and Art Deco gems are falling to ruin in Havana. Many of us share a love of the city and its people and buildings. It was a site of glamour and romance during The Golden Age.

Absent of any political associations, many of us would like to see this great city restored.

Does anyone have any personal photos or stories to share of Old Havana?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No photos, but I do have a bit of a passion for Old Havana. I have always wanted to go there, especially for the architecture. Going there is like taking a step back in time. It's such a shame that something so incredible has fallen into disrepair. One persons trash really is anothers treasure. Thanks for the link to a great article.

RedPop4

One Too Many
OF course there's an elephant in the room here, but we can't and shan't mention it.

This is heartrending, to say the least. As a lover of cigars, a Spanish-speaker, someone who wants history preserved where possible, this is beyond sad. And once Cuba is free, again, I fear the U. S. corporations will come in and demolish swaths with a great infusion of capital.

Of course, the REST of the World is free to act on this, but it doesn't seem they have the bottle to do so.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
RedPop4 said:
And once Cuba is free, again, I fear the U. S. corporations will come in and demolish swaths with a great infusion of capital.

Yes, and they will make Havana better just like they made Pennsylvania Station better; just like they made so many decaying downtowns better with "urban renewal" and turned them into clusters of gleaming glass and steel towers where people work during the day and which are abandoned at night leaving the sidewalks as the exclusive territory of thugs, the homeless, the police and the occasional misinformed tourist.

Oh, and there'll be a Starbucks on every other block. Hooray for bad coffee!

rongoms

Familiar Face
i have some pictures on a harddrive somewhere, i'll dig them out.

I went there, from Mexico, and toured some of the old cigar factories, Fonseca, Fuente, Macanudo, etc.

While it is most definately a time capsule in many ways, i left feeling quite depressed. It's simply a manifestation of the failure of communism. even moreso than the former Soviet-bloc contries. (who have embraced capitalism with both fists, literally)
It was obvious that there is really no concern for pre-revolutionary history, if not an outright effort to do away with it as much as possible.

The people, however, were wonderful, if not a bit reserved. They are still told that America is out to get them and two generations on, it's become almost biblical. ONce they realize that you're not from the government and tryingf to trap them, they're still some of the warmest most gracious people on the planet.

I'm not holding out much hope for a Free Cuba anytime soon, but i'll be on the first plane if it ever happens.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I get the idea that Havana is a city waiting to rise again. Some cities, Miami for instance, realize that there is a heritage in the old buildings and they restore them, knowing that people will come to see them. Even Wildwood, NJ did this!

One way or another, Havana will rise again and vestiges of Old Havana will always remain. So, I will meet you all, in a few years for a get together at Bar Floridita. ;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I would love to see Havana before they give it the Vegas treatment.

Me too.
I simply could not bear that :eek:
Please don't --- don't give Havana tha Vegas treatment, let her be ----whatever that means----

Story

I'll Lock Up
If any of you think for a second that the Families in Miami don't have "re-occupation" plans for Havana that rival the Invasion of Europe in scope and detail, I have some Florida swampland you might be interested in purchasing. lol

And don't mourn the Cuban cigars too bad, there's been a drought going on for the last ten years (particularly in the Southeast) and those exported 2002-onwards were generally rated substandard.

Investment hint: desalination plants. ;)

HadleyH said:
Me too.
I simply could not bear that :eek:
Please don't --- don't give Havana tha Vegas treatment, let her be ----whatever that means----

But it got the vegas treatment a long time ago. A little mojita-sipping person/slime called Battista creaming the profits.

I'd love to see a free Cuba. free to make its own decisions as a sovereign state must, without outside interference.

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Rehabbing Havana

There is enough in Castro's overseas bank accounts to pay to renovate 2 Havanas.

I think that when they go there will be a different culture because there will be a surge of pride by US Cubans and then an influx of clean money along with a National Movement to save Habana Vieja that will involve the UN et al.

You will probably see Jeb Bush or someone held in high regard by the Cuban-American community who will headline the effort which will involve lots of serious guys like the head of Coca Cola et al.

Viva Cuba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy