Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Hollywood themed Salon.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Sorry, If this isn't in the right place...Anyway,

Hi everyone!

My mum plans on opening up a Old Hollywood themed Salon(and eventually a Vintage shop "Boutique") around January/Feburary. She wants it to have a "High end" classy feel to it, and she has has a few ideas, which I'm curious what people would think about...I was also wondering if any of you had any nifty idea's that I could show /bring back to her.

This is a few of her ideas:

- She wants black and white, with a few hints of color(Like a Light pale blue or red.)
- Hollywood stars every now and then in the floor(Not everywhere, Just every now and then.) with movie actresses from the 1920s/30s and 40s/maybe even 50s...which I was curious about the "copyright" laws of.
- Black and White large pictures of actresses and actors from the era's above.
- All old fashion like furniture with a few modern "tweaks."
- And then the Vintage Boutique(Which will be put in later, after we see how successful the salon is.)

So, What do you guys think of the ideas, and the idea of a Old Hollywood theme salon?

Thanks!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Are you talking about a hair salon? What is the boutique - clothes? I always wanted to have a place like they had in the original movie The Women. It was a spa where they also had fashion shows. You would have lingerie and dress models walking through the place and drinks available. It was a place where you really made a day of it.

I agree with the suggestion of Art Deco. Nothing says class like Art Deco. Tell your mother we wish her good luck with the place. I hope you will post photos for all of us to see.

Inky

One Too Many
the salon i go to is primarily black/white with red vinyl accents and chrome, it is more of a 50's rock n roll look. It's called "Hep Kat."

When I think "old hollywood glam" i think boudoirs and pink and satin and chandeliers.

boudoir01.jpg

or Art Deco like Foofoogal mentioned, with black and glass and deco touches.

boudoir02.jpg

what a lovely idea! let us know how it turns out please!!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Here's a snippet from The Women where they have the fashion show. At the end of the clip they show the women sitting in the salon.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHJ3BKznTpk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHJ3BKznTpk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Delia's Gone

New in Town
The bathroom in The Women could be a huge source of inspiration! What a room!

Here is the whole scene on youtube!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WGgs0us-tk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WGgs0us-tk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Antje

One Too Many
What a great idea, but indeed is it a hairsalon or an other boutique with clothing,
I love art deco and black and white pictures of for example
clark gable, jean harlow, clara bow etc

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Wow, many congratulations to your mum!

I'm with the others on Art Deco/30's. There is a salon in Etobicoke (northwest Toronto) with exactly this theme, called Gable & Garbo. It's done all in peach and gold tones, with marble and white fabrics... Delicious.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Yep, It's a hair salon(Should've been more specific..sorry!)...She wants to add in a Vintage Shop after or if the Salon becomes succesful enough(With clothes, Vintage, Repro, Shoes, the pin up style, and accessories like that.)

Agreed with Art Deco...The design(What is that word?) of Art Deco was gorgeous, That black and white photo, inky, is amazing...
While back, I had managed to talk her into putting pictures of the actresses and actors up, So now she definitly wants Black and white pictures (I'm like, "Mum, You HAVE to put clara Bow and Rudolph Valentino. AND that Pin up picture of Greta Garbo up" I tried for Camille Clifford, But it's too far back for what she wants :Sigh:)

And those links were great. The Bathroom was wicked pretty..The Ceiling and the bathrub area especially. and the stage area at 3:38 on the fashion show video was amazing. I'll defiently have to show her those for inspirations.

She also wants to put in a Make up Area, She came up with this idea of a Old Hollywood backstage theater type area, You know with the mirror and the big bulbs surrounding the area...I'm personally not fond of the idea(only if it's in a whole other room.), cause it really doesn't go with what she wants, But that picture Inky put up with the Vanity area is really beautiful, So maybe she can use that as inspiration...

Thanks everyone! And I will definitly let you all know how it goes, and put up pictures once it's up and going.

Heather

Practically Family
It is my dream to work in these types of salons when I graduate but unfortunetly, and sadly, I don't think there are any in my area. Keep us posted!!

crwritt

One Too Many
The Bathroom was wicked pretty..

Will the salon be in Maine? Will she do the vintage styles or is the
focus on decor?

Heather

Practically Family
Holy cow!! I didn't realize you were in Maine. Me too! So yeah, where is she planning on opening the salon? I graduate in may *hint hint * hehe

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Haha...I'll pass the hint along for ya, If you like...

Yeah, It'll be in Maine...She wants to do it in the Waterville area, She is sort of thinking of the Bangor Area...But it'll most likely be the Waterville area.

"Vintage styles" as in the hair styles? Both. She's kind of into the whole decor type thing really, But I've been telling her "You can't have a vintage salon, If you don't do vintage hair." and I thinks intreseted in learning how to do the hair cut, and styles of that era...I know once I get in and graduate school, I want to "specialize" in Vintage hair.

Heather...Just curious(Sorry, sorry...I'm just very nosey.) what school do you go too?

My mum is a instructor for new Mr. Bernards School of hair fashion in Bangor...

Lollipop

Familiar Face
My mum says, Hey, If you ever move to Augusta-Waterville..Come See us...

Also from My mum: If you see Kathleen or Deanna, Tell 'em Debra from Bernards says Hi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran