Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old School Wool Overcoat

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
For the past 18 years, I've worn a charcoal color, raglan sleeve, wool Burburry overcoat that I purchased at Saks Fifth Avenue for about $400 to complement my grey Cavanagh fedora. It's a nice coat but a bit plain. I'd like to jazz it up with a pattern, like the wool overcoat Nigel Bruce wore as Sherlock Holme's sidekick, Dr. Watson. But I haven't had much like finding a quality piece. It seems everyone knowadays wear the light, high tech outerwear. :eusa_doh:

Here are examples of what I like:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ProductImage.aspx?imageFile=F-45777-1&baseNo=45777&s7=False

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...up_id=920&cat_id=11234&subcat_id=11235&bhcp=1

I prefer the former (made by Huberman) and no longer available at Sierra Trading Post. The later is nice, but I prefer my overcoat to hang just above my ankles.

Would I have to travel to Great Britian or Ireland to acquire such an overcoat?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Good Taste in Your Pop's Closet

Those are very nice. The former with the military collar has a great vintage feel.
There are several threads here in which you can find discussions of topcoats and where to find them. Of course, many of those sources are in the UK (as are most sources of anything beautiful in cloth).
You might have a look at Overstock.com now and then.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge! I hope we get to see some pictures of your old trusty 18 year old coat.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
That Orvis coat is SWEET...

83AEM5PB_alt.jpg

83AEM5PB_lg.jpg

Too bad its $700 buckeroos.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Overcoat

I picked up a tweed overcoat from the UK on eBay some years
back; troll over current offerings and you may find a bargain.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I know I'm about to be severly flogged for this but...

I bought me a RED BULL racing jacket *hides*

I second the "Great Topcoat" comment... I always look at them and decide I'm far too short for a topcoat lol

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I just won this on eBay yesterday:
4a_1.JPG

From the description:
"Genuine WW2 American Army Overcoat. Wonderful Heavy wool, double breasted overcoat guaranteed to keep out any cold this winter. Hard to find small size of 34R this coat comes in almost perfect condition with the only flaw being a simple to repair slight tear on one of the lapels. This coat has bundles of character with very detailed buttons, epaulets, and huge lapels, adjustable back to relax or tighten the fit of the coat and let us not forget it got through a World War! Any questions and I’ll help where I can, and all measurements are in inches. Thanks and good luck."

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
05976e74.jpg

Here's my topper. I just obtained a second version that is slightly longer. Can't wait for winter!

-Dixon Cannon

Dixon,

That is exactly what I'm looking for right now! Where did you find it?

jml90

One of the Regulars
At 16 I already own two topcoats a single breasted charcoal coat and a single breasted grey tweed chesterfield

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is one of those finds...

SinatraStyle said:
Dixon,That is exactly what I'm looking for right now! Where did you find it

..while browsing a thrift shop in Mesa, Arizona. I'll look at the label and see if I can determine the make and model. Maybe it has a twin!! ;)

-dixon cannon

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
Scotrace -

Thanks! I've been lurking here for a few days, pleasantly suprised to find so many men with classic, old school taste. I'll take your advice and check Overstock now and again.

Zemke Fan -

Here's an Alfred Dunhill Brown Herringbone wool overcoat for you:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/201,48622_Alfred-Dunhill-Herringbone-Wool-Overcoat-For-Men.html

or large view:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/...e+Wool+Overcoat++(For+Men)&isDefaultDept=True

I'm a touch and feel person myself. I'd prefer to examine the texture, weight and pattern (if any) before a buy an item.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Ghos7a55assin said:
I just won this on eBay yesterday:
4a_1.JPG

From the description:
"Genuine WW2 American Army Overcoat. Wonderful Heavy wool, double breasted overcoat guaranteed to keep out any cold this winter. Hard to find small size of 34R this coat comes in almost perfect condition with the only flaw being a simple to repair slight tear on one of the lapels. This coat has bundles of character with very detailed buttons, epaulets, and huge lapels, adjustable back to relax or tighten the fit of the coat and let us not forget it got through a World War! Any questions and I’ll help where I can, and all measurements are in inches. Thanks and good luck."
About 12 years ago I had one just like that. It's a great coat and when they say that it's heavy they mean it. Great for those long walks through wet nighttime streets. Neat!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff