Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Stetson, Anyone?

Ande1964

Practically Family
A friend of mine got this at an estate sale. He didn't know if it had much value. I don't either. As you can see it is beat to, um... heck. It is old, though, and kind of cool. I would say it dates to between 1900 and 1920.

Don't know if it's wearable, but the inner circumference is about 21 inches. Brim width is about 3 3/4 inches. Crown is about 5 inches at its tallest.

I have not tried to clean this thing at all. I have not tried to pull the sweat band back to look for paper tags. Seems too risky. The felt is stiff and dusty.The sweat band seems more held in place by dirt and stubbornness than by any stitching. Sweat band reads "The L. C. Adam Mercantile Co. - Cedar Vale" and "The John B. Stetson Co. - Trademark - Philadelphia - No. 1 Quality". There is a small chunk of sweat band missing in the back. You can kind of see it in two of the photos. Also, it looks like someone added a felt ribbon over the original cloth one.

So, let me know if it's of interest to anyone. I'm starting it at $40, shipped in the US.

Thanks,
Anj

four.JPG

three.JPG

five.JPG

two.JPG

one.JPG

six.JPG

Wconly

Familiar Face
Well, to quote (well, in this case paraphrase) Dr. Jones: "That (Hat) belongs in a museum!" Seriously! I would find a museum that has sections dedicated to the 'last turn of the century,' pieces and donate it. They can appraise it for you and give you a receipt for 'said value,' which you can use on your next income tax return! Or, have it appraised, in the same manner, and take your chances attempting to find a collector who would be willing to bid on it. Either way, you will come out on it.

Oh....almost forgot..."...wearable? I highly doubt it! W>

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Well, it certainly has history, doesn't it! It'd be worth your asking price just as a decoration in a vintage room.

Ande1964

Practically Family
The museum is an interesting idea. I'll reach out to a friend of mine who runs a local history museum. Would it be kosher to put this on hold for twelve hours, so I can see if she's interested?

Anj

Ande1964

Practically Family
Have decided to stick with the sale. I have a tentative deal lined up with the first person who sent a PM, offering to buy. If you want to get in line, should that sale not happen (although I fully expect it to), feel free to send a message.

Thanks, all!

Anj

Ande1964

Practically Family
Hat is sold!

Thanks again, all. I'm so pleased this one is headed to someone who will (fingers crossed ;-)) enjoy it.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner