Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old time radio online

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all the links and fantastic info provided, I'm going to make a cd for my dad (who doesn't believe in computers of satellite radio!) We used to sit in the dark and listen to old radio shows when I was little. He'll be thrilled! Thanks all!

Brinybay

Practically Family
I thought I posted this, maybe I posted in a similar thread somewhere, but I don't see it here. I listen to 1920s Radio Network. I use iRadio 1.5 to download the music. iRadio is free, easy to use, but has a couple bugs. I've learned to work around them. There is no support for it because the entire project is up for sale, but what the heck, it's free. First thing you need to do is delete all the pre-set stations in the list, very few of them work, and the ones that do are (c)rap stations.

Sunny

One Too Many
skyscorp389 said:
Sunny--

Thanks for the OTRFan link. They've got some WWII-era Gildersleeve episodes that I'm looking forward to hearing.

Nic Ellis

Especially the one on, IIRC, December 7. It was pre-recorded but aired that day. Very... interesting to listen to.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
iTunes

For those using iTunes, there are lots of free OTR podcasts available. They are separated into different groups, ie detectives, suspense, science fiction, westerns, etc.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KIXI Seattle

A friend's involved with a mystery radio series and just found out that they stream online - KIXI Seattle - tonight's the first episode of a new series called Dot-N-Dash (premieres tonight at 8 pm Pacific, 11 pm Eastern and so forth), but they've also got a lot of great shows like Martini Time and the Friday night Frank Sinatra & Friends show and Big Band shows. Lots of Big Band and 40's style music. Give it a listen!

JassCat1923

New in Town
my favorite show for 20s and 30s music...

...is the Big Broadcast, streaming every Sunday night from 8-midnight Eastern. It's at www.wfuv.org, or for those of you in NYC, 90.7 FM from Fordham Univ. Good music, and the past 2 shows are archived on the site in case you miss them. They used to archive everything, but that new Digital Millenium copyright law is really screwing things up.

I love OTRCat! I got the whole series of "The Black Museum" with Orson Welles. [a little outside the time frame this forum is devoted to, but fun nonetheless] :)

I love that they let you listen to an entire sample episode. I've kept myself entertained for hours just listening to the free samples.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Another firm supporter of OTRCat....

Penny Candy said:
I love OTRCat! I got the whole series of "The Black Museum" with Orson Welles. [a little outside the time frame this forum is devoted to, but fun nonetheless] :)

I love that they let you listen to an entire sample episode. I've kept myself entertained for hours just listening to the free samples.

I have been doing business with Jon for about 5 years now...I found him because, when preparing to run my first vintage skeet shoot and wanting to have a full day of radio playing in the background through a period radio, I wrote every OTR dealer I could find to ask them what the oldest full-day aircheck preserved was....Jon was the only one who wrote back (its the Sept. 29, 1939 WJSV broadcast day done for the LoC, BTW, and he has it). The amount of stuff he offers, and the truthfulness with which he describes the quality, are equally admirable (most of it is great!, on both scores...).

This is clearly a labor of love: you can buy a disc containing, oh say, 40 hours of material for $5.00...I don't think he's doing this to build his retirement fund! And the site is full of quirky humor which I find....bizarre and fun. The collections he assembles for various holidays (the ones you'd expect, and some you probably wouldn't, like April Fool's Day) are a great idea.

Yes, you can get a lot of stuff for free, and more power to you. But if you want to support someone worthy of your custom, try OTRCat.

"Skeet"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just a reminder that due to Lounge policy on copyrights, we can't include links to audio download sites.

I don't collect MP3 myself, but for those who still have tape capability, I strongly recommend the tape library of SPERDVAC, the Society To Preserve And Encourage Radio Drama Variety and Comedy. A lot of the OTR circulating in MP3 form was encoded from these tapes, and going back to the source is a good way to avoid the audio problems in those circulating digital copies.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Old Time Radio Shows

I like to listen to recording of old time radio show( Green Hornet, Burns and Allen, Dragnet). I have a few cd but would like to find more or a web page that plays some shows. Any one know where I can find some.

K

kpreed

If you like listening to old radio shows all day like me on the web try searching for AM 1170 Antioch, (some great shows), if you need a certain kind or title of show, try try Internet or radio Archive. (at the link above)

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Great recommendations.
Something that I've found to make it easier to deal with pages and pages of individual links, is flashgot.

Select a page of links, right click, and choose "flashgot selection." Voila!
You might have to redownload a couple if they don't make it, but it can save you alot of time.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love OTR shows. They're so much fun to listen to, late at night. I download them free off the 'net and I've got a collection of several hundred spanning almost every genre imaginable, from police to mystery to private eye to comedy and drama...

I even wrote an article about the "Golden Age of Radio" in my blog...here:

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2009/1...bout-to-read-is-true-the-golden-age-of-radio/

...Anyone who knows their OTR shows will know at once where I stole the title of my article from...

JimWagner

Practically Family
OTRcat

Well, I'm late to the party, as usual. I discovered OTRcat today while googling for Fibber McGee and Molly collections and ordered it from there, along with a sampler and the Goon Show. My pickup truck has an MP3 cd player in it and the episodes are just about the right length so that I can listen to a whole one on the way to and then another coming back from work :)

Then I searched threads and see it's a well known site here. Lot's of hours of listening there. I'm going to have to ration myself, though, just to keep from going broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21