Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Older Than Dirt Quiz

Wild Root

Gone Home
I haven't grown up with those things JP but I have some of them in my collection :p

You should have put radios that used tubes on that list! Also Street cars and autos with 6volt batteries!

Root.

Wild Root said:
I haven't grown up with those things JP but I have some of them in my collection :p

Close enough to be called older than dirt retroactively.

Wild Root said:
You should have put radios that used tubes on that list! Also Street cars and autos with 6volt batteries!

We still have street cars here in Frisco. :p Cars with 6 volt batteries? That is old. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Let me add these to the mix:
How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
James, the more you fellows write, the older I feel.

Here are some goodies to remember:

When most cars on the street were black and looked like PT Cruisers.

When WW II ended.

When Roosevelt died (that's Franklin, not Theodore)

Only having a radio. (Listened to The Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, Gangbusters, Fibber McGee and Molly)

Having 78 rpm records. They broke all too easily. Then came the little 45's and the LPs. Now the latter are collectibles for the artwork.

Drug stores with overhead fans and wonderful soda shops.

Going to the movies on a Saturday with your little brother. A quarter got both of you in the theatre plus you had enough for popcorn, a nickle cokd and Jujy Fruits and a nickle coke. You gave your brother all the orange and green ones and you ate the red and black. We shared the yellow.

Recall when yours was the only family on the block that had a TV set. Not color, but an old B&W Admiral floor length model. All the kids came over to watch Gene Autry.

Kukla, Fran and Ollie, not Howdy Doody (he was a latecomer)

Dime stores with bins and bins of neat things, especially toys

When the Lone Ranger wore a red shirt, not a blue shirt

Having not only an ice box but an outdoor toilet.

No telephone

Father shoveling coal into the furnace on a cold night

Fixing your own flats because tires were put on by hand not with those mechanical thingys and now you would have to be a lowland gorilla to get a tire off.

I could go on, but will stop....

karol

Wow Karol. That really was a long time ago were there buffaloes? :p
Seriously, when I think that my grandmother was born the year the Titanic sank it was quite a while ago. ;) I suppose all of us have that milestone even that marked our birth years as well. For me I suppose it would be the moon landing---not long ago at all. :p

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey Karol, great stories! Times have changed and not for the better in many ways.

As for the cars looking like PT's I would change it to a PT Curser resembles a real car. And yes 78's are not to strong! I have over 300 of the things. I love them though.

Root.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, I was a war baby -- my birth year is the same as the movie Casablanca: same year as Barbra Streisand and Paul McCartney and Aretha, the Queen of Soul. I share a birthday with Brian Wilson. Good year for musicians, though I am not one.

Yes, James, there were Buffalo around then, but they were in recovery having almost been wiped out by the likes of William Cody and friends.

Two of my great grandfather's fought in the Civil War, a great-great-great grandfather fought in the Battle of Long Island in the Revolutionary war. Another relative served in the Black Hawk Indian Wars as a spy. (!?)

My father was born during the first WW and served in the Navy in WWII. Mother was born just after the Spanish Flu killed 20 million people worldwide.
I was in college when JFK was assassinated; it was a defining moment of my generation, as the walk on the moon was to some, the Challenger disaster to another, and, of course, now 9/11.

I lost a good friend and a relative in Vietnam. Another friend survived it, came home and died of AIDS 20 years later.

Here are some other phrases used to define we who are older than dirt:

Old as the hills
Older than Methuselah
Older than God
Older than the Mountains

karol

MissTayva

Biltmore Bob said:
Mom cut chicken on the counter then sliced an apple for you on the same counter.

How bout this one...Remember when you were bad, Mom would say, "Wait Till you Dad gets home", and you were scared.

Haha, I'm not very old and that was still standard in my house as a kid!

They still make the wax bottles :)

Tabitha

New in Town
Remember when....

Remember when you could go down to the dime store (Harvey's) and getting a bag of candy with 12 cents, (and I'm talking a bag that would last you all day) which included pixie sticks and wax lips. Cracker Jacks were a nickle. And yes I am older than dirt.. ;)
Tabitha

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ben Franklin or Woolworth's.

Sears sold guns

I'd mow 2 acres with a push mower for a dollar.

You could find gas for less than $0.35 a gallon.

Mongomery Wards was high scale.

You knew everybody in your neighborhood, and you visited for no reason.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Or, and this was the best part of my childhood: an eight-year old girl could walk to school by herself, cut down an alleyway, wander around an empty lot, look into the window of a decrepit haunted house, cut across a yard, stop to throw some dirt clods at an excavation site, walk up a hill and cut through another alley, and down the hill to school. And no one thought a thing about it!

karol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
According to your quiz I'm older than dirt yet I'm 41.
I still buy Black Jack gum occasionally but it is always more expensive than regular gum.

Who remembers the little no-draft window on cars? I miss that feature.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Johnnysan

One Too Many
This thread really got me reminiscing. A block or so from where I lived as a kid, there was a neighborhood grocery store where you could buy a loaf of bread, a quart of milk, lunchmeat from the meat case and basic staples. The store was run by two elderly sisters, who, at that time, were referred to as "spinsters." They had inheireted the store from their father.

The key feature of the store from my perspective then was a candy counter that ran almost half the length of the place. They carried everything - jawbreakers as hard as granite, wax bottles, candy cigarettes, chocolates, nuts, malted milk balls, red hots and those sugar-filled straw things that gave you a rush like no tomorrow!

Although I didn't think about it then, I look back on that now to realize that every kid came out of that store with the same amount of candy in his/her bag regardless of whether they had a nickel or a quarter or a dollar...that was just the kind of decent human beings these two ladies were. That was thirty years ago and I still remember them as if it were yesterday.

So, if you will all indulge me - to the Petrovich sisters and those like them who have passed into memory - thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy