Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Oldies" radio stations

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was listening to an erstwhile Oldies station that is now "Rewind 103.3", 70s and 80s music, and Don McLean's American Pie came on, for the 3rd day in a row, so I popped over to 106.5, nominally an 80s-90s station, and dammit, there was American Pie again...these radio stations have NO imagination.

More often than not, I turn off the radio and enjoy blesssed silence...except then I can her my rear wheel bearings getting humming and getting noisier, reminding me they need to be replaced.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Things are so bad here in the southwest, that i invested in a $50 wireless transmitter for my i pod. The only FM "oldies" station plays 80's, some 70's, and if we are lucky, a 60's tune. As usual, all the same songs, without exception. The only alternative is to switch to AM 1600 for 50s-60s. But even there the same songs are played almost on a loop at times.

I was joking about this not too long ago. We listen to 94.9 WOLX from Madison. Our local oldies station. When I was a kid, Dad listened to it and it was the best of the 50's and 60's, which became late 50's, 60's, and 70's. Now it's some 60's, 70's, and 80's. It's a shame really. I have little to no tolerance for music from past the Bee-Gee's.

We also had AM1350 WPDR from Portage, which was my favorite station once WOLX made their decade shift. They still played 50's and 60's, and really good stuff on Sundays. Now they're on the same format.

My current favorite station, AM900 WDLS from Wisconsin Dells, is a Classic Country Station, also was 50's and 60's until about a year ago, now they're doing 50's to 80's with a big focus on the 70's. Still not bad, and the only radio station I listen to anymore (besides WOLX at the plant, since that's what everyone listens to)

I have an iPod FM transmitter for the car, and always have that on, and have my Records and 8-tracks here at home.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Hummmm. well, I feel really old now when I hear music from the 80's referred to as "classic rock". I listen to 80's/90's mix some but lately I have set my cell phone to 50's radio station.

Derek WC

Banned
In Salem Oregon, we get two 102.9 stations, one is broadcast from Stayton, and has mostly 60's and 70's but once in a while some older music. The other is broadcast from Redmond and has a lot of old radio shows such as Hogan's Heroes, a lot of old advertisements, and a lot of old music from before the 60's.

Ahh yes, and 89.1, which I think is broadcast from Portland, has a lot of jazz, old and new, really a great radio station, and my favorite besides that one from Redmond.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
I was sick of the Stones, the Who and the Beatles 15 years ago. It's not bad music, it's just been played to death. I think a lot of DJs have bigger music collections than some radio stations.

A few years ago, one radio station decided to play every song in its collection, and it took them three and a half days to get through it. That would be nice to hear more often, instead of hearing the same three-hour loop of songs all the time.

There are a few good non-Borg-collective stations in Denver. Jazz 89 KUVO (89.3) has a thing called R&B Jukebox on Saturdays from 7-9 p.m. KEZW plays music from the 30s through the 70s, and contemporary music that fits the genre. You can get both on your computer.

Hello Paisley,

I have heard there is a big band AM station in Denver, would you happen to know what channel it is? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner