Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oldy DVD Special Features

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I purchased The Getaway DVD awhile ago and I got around to watching through all the Special Features.

I got to say -- I loved the Audio Commentary by the 3 scholars. I think this is something that more and more rereleases of old movies on DVD should do. Find a few people that have studied the director/actor/movie throughally, are big fans, and let them cut an audio track. I learned a lot and found a lot of new appreciation for the film.

Often times I am not a fan of actor commentaries ... but it is a pity that I can't learn more about Steve McQueen's point of view. Fortunately, The Getaway DVD has some audio clips of McQueen interviews at the time, too, but it just ain't enough.

Usually, with an older movie (especially movies older than The Getaway), I am very disappointed with the special features. I was pleased with The Getaway's features, but even that could be much, much better. So much information is roaming around unharvested that can really add to a DVD publication.

The Thin Man box set came with that great documentary Nick and Nora. Are there any other DVD's with great Special Features?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two off the top of my head

Peeping Tom from Criterion has an excellent commentary. Born to Kill does as well with a special appearance by the director Robert Wise. DO NOT listen to the commentary on Leave Her to Heaven. I wished someone had warned me and it almost ruined one of my favorite movies. I'm still shuddering.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Warner Brothers has done a great job. They movies usually have a cartoon, a short subject and often a radio show adaptation. Sometimes even more documentary and assorted goodies.
Criterion Collection usually has good bonus stuff.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: "Bamboozled" was rough movie to watch. Especially the clips from the Golden Age.:eek: I like that Spike Lee never took an easy way out with the movie. He doesn't say "it isn't anybody's fault" or even "this is the right side and this is the wrong side". He just opens it up for everyone to think about.
On a similar note, I just finished watching "C.S.A.: Confederate States of America" a fake documentary about the history of the U.S. (excuse me C.S.) after the South wins the Civil War. Another interesting yet disturbing film.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Recently saw 1971 Silent Running on DVD. At least bruce Dern is still around and the director Douglas Trumbull too. They offered a nice commentary for the 2002 re-release DVD. Had either not been alive to offer insights it would have diluted any special feature aspect for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner