Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the avenue ...

I rarely name a hat, mostly on account of them generally being one-of-a-kind offerings, so I leave it to the people who end up with them to decide what to call them.

But in this case I make an exception. The Elizabeth Avenue Limited is so called because 1.) Elizabeth Avenue is, according to a couple of signs along its route, the "historic name" of the roadway on which I and my shop currently reside, and 2.) this model will almost undoubtedly be quite limited, seeing how I have but one partial roll of the band ribbon and I figure the odds of finding another just like it slim to none (yes, it's a vintage ribbon, probably older than I am), and 3.) I like the alliteration. The name may be more evocative of a bus route than a Golden Era passenger train, but that's fine by me.

I was shooting for something with just a hint of "Western" in it, hence the wider than usual brim and the not-quite-raw edge. (Note that row of stitching about an eighth of an inch from the edge, a la vintage Stetson Playboys.) And, in keeping with the vaguely Western theme, I stiffened the #&*! out of it. Often, those wide, "unfinished" brims could use more stiffening anyway, lest they go all floppy on you. And I added more stiffener to the crown, too, just for the heck of it.

IMGP1823.jpg

IMGP1824.jpg

gtdean48 said:
Brim width? Crown height? Ribbon width? Felt color? Details man details!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

2 3/4 inches

6 inches open. As shaped, about 4 1/4 at the front, 4 3/4 at the back, 5 at the highest point on the sides.

22 ligne Rock Blue with white and Aluminum bow knot highlights.

I call it "Dove," but the supplier calls is "Silverbelly." The flash washes out the color some. Bright sunlight does both the body and ribbon colors the most justice, though. The colors work just great together, if I do say so myself.

Like many light-colored hats, it does tend to draw attention to itself. Not the thing to wear if you're aiming to blend in with the crowd, you know.

Feraud said:
^ Can I ask why that might be?
Is it a matter of demand, or a manufacturer's ability to produce light weights..?

My understanding is that the manufacturer's failure rate is so high as to make it not worth their while.

tonyb said:
2 3/4 inches

6 inches open. As shaped, about 4 1/4 at the front, 4 3/4 at the back, 5 at the highest point on the sides.

22 ligne Rock Blue with white and Aluminum bow knot highlights.

I call it "Dove," but the supplier calls is "Silverbelly." The flash washes out the color some. Bright sunlight does both the body and ribbon colors the most justice, though. The colors work just great together, if I do say so myself.

Like many light-colored hats, it does tend to draw attention to itself. Not the thing to wear if you're aiming to blend in with the crowd, you know.
Many thanks! I have a vintage Resistol that has 2 rows of stitching on the brim as you descrived. Very nice, indeed.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Oh Tony...
Oh Tony...
My gawd, what a beautiful hat.
Brim stitching is a brilliant touch.
Great proportions.
Is the body beaver? (Nothing wrong with bunny.)
Lighting doesn't bring out blue color of ribbon on my screen.
But I have a weakness for dark blue ribbons.
Why do you do this to us??? :eek:

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR