Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My "Brooklyn Boozer"...

2hxv909.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
After choking on the price of gorgeous Italian made leather vintage shoes, Dromarti, I decided to customize a less expensive pair of shoes for cycling (see pic).

image.jpg

itsbruce

Familiar Face
I have Dromarti shoes. If you get the lacing right, they are the most comfortable cycling shoes you could ever wear and can be used on very long rides. And they're beautiful.

I justified the cost to myself by thinking that it would prevent me having to carry ordinary shoes in my backpack; the Dromartis look smart enough to be worn to the pub/restaurant/office without making you look like some Hi-Viz lycra nodder. I've gone to job interviews in them and they didn't look out of place under my suit.

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Mostly I buy old frames and find components to build them up. Couple of old racing bikes that I've rebuilt fixed...

1970s vintage Pat Hanlon racing bike:

7209082432_bed3be97ec_b.jpg
7209079728_804a30b189_b.jpg

All the components are contemporary apart from the pedals. Took a while to gather together. Yes, it only has one brake lever.

1981-vintage Gazelle Champion Mondial:

5789721389_0ee10aba64_b.jpg

This is my commuter bike. It was originally used by a professional racing team (hence the 531c steel), but now it mostly gets me the 8 miles from home to work (and sometimes longer distances, like the Dunwich Dynamo or rides to Brighton, Whitstable or Winchester). Not vintage components. Two brake levers this time but both attached to the same brake (one is an interrupter).

Been a while since I last owned a geared bike, but I've just spent some savings on a tourer/road bike (a complete bike, rather than building it myself). Not vintage, although traditional styling. Will post a pic when I've finished tinkering with it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Dromarti / Maresi shoes. Lovely but expensive at over £200 GBP..!!! That's why I customized a cheaper pair (£20..!)

Edit: Original photo removed at request of author.

And my cheap version..! At £20.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Probably down to the frame material, I am guessing Reynolds 531 on the Saxon and 'gas pipe' tubing on the Enfield plus the almost 'Russ' type fork on the Saxon which tend to give a slightly more comfortable ride due to the extra curve as opposed to the more upright Enfield fork.

The front chainring looks like a 'big un' Paddy you might want to increase the sprocket size on the rear if possible as it's a bit hilly, a mate rode the 30 mile course the other day on his 3 speed Raleigh Lenton clubman and said it was a bit of a pig at times and he's a club cyclist, I must admit I've rode myself all over the Peak at times and occasionally it can make you want to get off and throw the bike over the hedge!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails