Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One doofus or an annoying trend in socks?

So I'm in a big meeting this morning...a dozen or so people from all over the world. We're all wearing business suits. One gentleman, about 30 I'd guess, is wearing a charcoal gray suit, nice shirt and tie, and nice black shoes. He is, however, wearing one bright lime green sock and one bright pink and black striped sock. Is this a trend of which I'm just not aware, or is this guy just as big a doofus as he looked? I should mention this gent was from the UK.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
David Hockney did mismatched socks in the 60s:

Cecil+Beaton+David+Hockney.jpg

...given his eccentric pop art personality (and the rest of his outfit) i think it works.

Edward

Bartender
I've done it as a way of using still-good odd socks. Needs to be a pronounced contrast for it to work, though. I remember when towelling fluroescent socks were in in the UK back in the early Eighties it was fashionable to wear odd ones - pink and lime green or yellow, usually - but I don't recall seeing it as a trend since. Entirely possible that it was no more than a slip induced by jetlag.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
So I'm in a big meeting this morning...a dozen or so people from all over the world. We're all wearing business suits. One gentleman, about 30 I'd guess, is wearing a charcoal gray suit, nice shirt and tie, and nice black shoes. He is, however, wearing one bright lime green sock and one bright pink and black striped sock. Is this a trend of which I'm just not aware, or is this guy just as big a doofus as he looked? I should mention this gent was from the UK.

before I was married I would have been guilty of that--color blind.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Look at me! Look at me! I'm wearing loud mismatched socks! I'm such a rebel!

Well, Mike, a "doofus" is pretty much a harmless character, so I'd go along with you there. Otherwise, I see it as a pathetic cry for attention.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
You could at least match solids and stripes, no?
people (mostly men) who are affected by colorblindness don"t focus on color or pattern but rather on the general shape of an object. That is why camouflage is not effective against them, as I found out in Viet Nam myself. I am not saying that the gentleman in question is colorblind but if he were, combinations that you might say was an obvious mismatch would be hardly noticeable to him. When my family has get togethers now. my sisters invulnerably bring the subject up as it was their duty to inspect me before I went off to school. Unless you have been around a colorblind person it is hard to believe that nothing clashes to them. To this day my closet is 75% khaki for that reason.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
In the 1980's a church member was regularly accompanied by her attention seeking husband who was always dressing in the style mentioned earlier. One day he arrived with half of his mustache shaved off. Being a smart teenager I had to ask. His response was, "just trying out the look". My reply, if he would shave one of his eye-brows off to match, the look would be improved and completed. LOL's.

Last edited:

Michaelshane

One Too Many

He probably has another pair just like them.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Look at me! Look at me! I'm wearing loud mismatched socks! I'm such a rebel!

Well, Mike, a "doofus" is pretty much a harmless character, so I'd go along with you there. Otherwise, I see it as a pathetic cry for attention.

OH sometimes, members of this group can be so hard on others. Did it ever occur to any of you that the poor man might be color blind?? :D I comment with my tongue planted firmly in cheek. JEEESH!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy