Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One doofus or an annoying trend in socks?

earl

A-List Customer
Well, at least it is a constructive means of dealing with the mysterious disappearance of single socks in the laundry process. Earl

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about all of you, but I would much rather see this as a new trend as apposed to the pants around the ankle and underpants showing look!

Jackanapes

New in Town
I was on the London subway last year and saw a guy in business attire (presumably a local) wearing loudly colored/striped socks (although they were matching). He was reading a math book, looked to be a professorial type. I dismissed it as British eccentricity (I'm American and don't pretend to get the famed "eccentric Brit" thing), although "eccentricity" is often contrived in order to put an intellectual image forward (defeating the intended purpose).

Then, some time later, I saw a fairly young American author on C-Span talking about his book, and he had the same type of rainbow socks on (Dr Seuss themed, if I recall). He said he had spent some time in London, so I'm guessing he picked up on the burgeoning eccentric/intellectual sock trend thing there and decided to run with it. We Americans often look to our British cousins for what to do when it comes to putting on intellectual airs (especially when it comes to accents).

Overall though, I think the sock thing is fine. Shows you have a sense of humor and don't take yourself too seriously. The world needs more people like that, IMO.

Last edited:
Overall though, I think the sock thing is fine. Shows you have a sense of humor and don't take yourself too seriously. The world needs more people like that, IMO.

The problem was he was in a meeting with the CEO and a bunch of others whom he was asking to take him seriously. I wonder if it dawned on him that he might be getting his wish. If he doesn't take himself seriously, I can't imagine why he'd expect anyone else to.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Judging the quality of a man by his socks is probably not the most accurate way to do it.

On the other hand, if we're talking sartorial sins, I'd rather have a ban on the ubiquitous bland charcoal suits than on mismatched socks. :D

Jackanapes

New in Town
The problem was he was in a meeting with the CEO and a bunch of others whom he was asking to take him seriously. I wonder if it dawned on him that he might be getting his wish. If he doesn't take himself seriously, I can't imagine why he'd expect anyone else to.
If that was the context on the meeting/presentation, then I'd have to agree with you. Although on the other hand, one should be careful who they dismiss or assess negatively based on a superficiality like that. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were/are all good examples of high achievers who have often habitually presented themselves in a decidedly low brow fashion sense whilst in very professional settings.

kyboots

Practically Family
Judging the quality of a man by his socks is probably not the most accurate way to do it.

On the other hand, if we're talking sartorial sins, I'd rather have a ban on the ubiquitous bland charcoal suits than on mismatched socks. :D
I really have to agree with Rudie here. It is harmless in my simple opinion. Sort of like the guy who wears Lucchese boots with a Hart Marx suit. It breathes wonderful "non-conformity" and gets you noticed in a world overpopulated with Grey suits. Go Cards!

I really have to agree with Rudie here. It is harmless in my simple opinion. Sort of like the guy who wears Lucchese boots with a Hart Marx suit. It breathes wonderful "non-conformity" and gets you noticed in a world overpopulated with Grey suits. Go Cards!

I didn't suggest it was harmful, only that it was hard to take serious a guy who dresses like a clown in a very important professional setting.

At any rate, I guess this answers my original question about it being commonplace or a one off thing.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mostly in the summer I do not wear socks. I hate them. I deal with our top management daily, I guess they do not mind, they stink worse than me. I would not wear socks that are not matching. I just hate socks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy