Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One doofus or an annoying trend in socks?

Metatron

One Too Many
Judging the quality of a man by his socks is probably not the most accurate way to do it.

On the other hand, if we're talking sartorial sins, I'd rather have a ban on the ubiquitous bland charcoal suits than on mismatched socks. :D

You know, the grey suit exists because of reactions like those in this thread.
The idea is to look as neutral as possible.
Being considered boring is far preferable to the ridicule the sock guy has to endure in vintage clothing forums!!

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Being considered boring is far preferable to the ridicule the sock guy has to endure in vintage clothing forums!!
I dare say the men in the charcoal suits have seen those of us who wear the vintage clothing and rediculed us for being loud and eccentric the same way the sock men are. In my opinion its more of an ultra conservative (clothing wise) reaction to dandism/bordering on foppish.

kyboots

Practically Family

Why would you want to dress to be neutral? That seems stranger than weird socks. I suspect the "sock guy" doesn't read vintage clothing forums. Maybe we could send him an anonomous link? ;)

carldelo

One Too Many
If that was the context on the meeting/presentation, then I'd have to agree with you. Although on the other hand, one should be careful who they dismiss or assess negatively based on a superficiality like that. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were/are all good examples of high achievers who have often habitually presented themselves in a decidedly low brow fashion sense whilst in very professional settings.

I think you've found the source of the trend, it seems to be a tech-nerd thing. It took a while to find the article about the trend of loud socks in Silicon Valley, but here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/fashion/in-silicon-valley-socks-make-the-tech-entrepreneur.html

Plus the slideshow: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/02/05/fashion/20210205-SOCKS.html

A revealing quote from the article:

“I have been in meetings where people look down and notice my socks, and there is this universal sign, almost like a gang sign, where they nod and pull up their pant leg a little to show off their socks,” said Hunter Walk, 38, a director of product management at YouTube, whose favorite pair is yellow, aqua and orange striped.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yet if he wore a lime green/pink tie, nobody would've looked at him twice.
Probaby not. I've been known to wear some rather flamboyant shirt/tie combinations and rarely do I get any negative feedback.

I look at "boring" blues and greys as a canvas to splash a little color on. That said, I don't care much for wild socks with suits. Casual wear, no problem.

Shoes507.jpg

Shoes503.jpg

I must say that I'm a bit surprised by the "anything goes" and "don't take dressing for your job seriously" attitudes. I would have figured quite the opposite from this crowd. At any rate, I still think being so noticeably flippant in one's dress in a serious business meeting, where others are not, is not only distracting, but disrespectful to your boss as well as the other company whom you are asking to take you and your business opinions extremely serious.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I agree on many levels.
If you are self employed or a artist yes. Many young University Grads. are trying to manufacture a persona. As a newbie in a professional environment not the right time, not the right place.

Feraud

Bartender
I must say that I'm a bit surprised by the "anything goes" and "don't take dressing for your job seriously" attitudes. I would have figured quite the opposite from this crowd. At any rate, I still think being so noticeably flippant in one's dress in a serious business meeting, where others are not, is not only distracting, but disrespectful to your boss as well as the other company whom you are asking to take you and your business opinions extremely serious.
This is a very good point.

It is distracting, disrespectful and annoying. See my tag line for comment on such.

Doing shoe shines I get to check out a lot of guys socks, never seen intentionally mismatched ones before. Socks are a great accessory and love seeing a man that knows how to go about it. Mismatched isn't the right way. Make a statement with a nice color, print, or sheer sock.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Oh, I totally agree.. i love coloured socks and bright socks, patterns and stripes.. however they MUST MATCH!! i stock Scott Nichol and Pantherella and they offered me these "odd socks". I politely turned them down.. not in my Store!!!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the other hand, if we're talking sartorial sins, I'd rather have a ban on the ubiquitous bland charcoal suits than on mismatched socks. :D
I rather agree to this. We don't know much about this man and if he really came from a business meeting or an artsy farts gallery opening. Whatever! None of my business.

The ugly modern suits are far worse imo and they are evrywhere. Suits that are worn for fun instead of pressure to fit in ...this is what we need.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pressed shirt and chinos but no dark suit and tie. [huh] It's very common and not all bad if you ask me.

I blame the shitty suits that are being made today. Not the people who feel unconfortable in them because I would too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner