Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Last Look

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Paddy's extended absence is leaving WWII sadly short of new threads. While our friend is "on leave," I will try to pick up a little bit of the slack.

Today I received from one of the Amazon.com used book sellers a GREAT coffee table book entitled: "One Last Look -- A Sentimental Journey to the Eighth Air Force Heavy Bomber Bases of World War II in England." It was written by Philip Kaplan and Rex Alan Smith and published by Abbeville Press in 1983.

I urge readers of the FL-WWII forum to go out and buy this fabulous book ASAP. Inexpensive copies are still available -- but going fast. (I purchased mine for $8.40 plus media mail shipping.) When I get home tonight I will be posting some photos scanned from the book. Until then, flyboys, go to Amazon and pick yourself up one of these if you don't own it already!

See you back in the Nissen hut. (Don't forget to stoke the stove!)

Photo #1 -- 303rd BG at Molesworth:

Molesworth.jpg

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Been meaning to get hold of a copy of that for a while. Phillip Kaplan and Jack Currie's 'Round the Clock' is the book that got me into all this flight jacket malarkey in the first place-another one I thoroughly recommend.

MB17

Jake

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the pics. Zemke....I'll have to pick that book up as well and get a copy for a gal coworker whose dad flew in B-17s.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Bad news, boys and girls...

Just checked again on Amazon and the CHEAP copies are going fast. There are about three or four in the $20.00 price range. Rest are higher. Still a GREAT book and a highly recommended read.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fred, now that's what I call team-work!

Fred! you're a star my man! What a cracking book and the photos are super. I love the club room shot (reminds me of "12 o'clock High", just need the Toby Jug on the fire place!). Sometimes a shame this place is in cyberspace, and not a real BIG HOUSE, with many rooms, a different themed vintage rooms to represent and mirror the rooms we have here. Then we could have a WWII club room. Brings to mind a piece of scripture I learnt many moons ago in Sunday School (you don't need to be religious guys to appreicate the sentiments of this line!)..."In my house are many mansions..." Well, in this Lounge, we have many mansions too. And those mansions are full of great spirited team players who pick up the baton when some of us have to drop it for a little while! Thanks for picking up the baton with this thread Fred!

Now...ANY MORE PICS...? (They are just so good!!)

simmo

Familiar Face
Cheers.Just gone for one from amazon.com after seeing prices on the UK site.Got it delivered from the states to the Uk for just under 10 quid.Just hope its in reasonable condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy