Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oops! Did that just come out of my mouth?!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I use "copacetic" (one of my favorite words) constantly and "the bee's knees" fairly frequently.

I'll also occaisionally come out with some "Midwesternisms" (as I like to call them) that get me some looks out East.

Examples; You: "I'm going to the Queen Mary event" Me: "oh, for nice!"

or

You: "I'm going to the Queen Mary event" Me: "oh, good deal!"

I haven't, as yet, lapsed into "you betcha" though.

DocBob345

Familiar Face
My new wife and step daughter are still getting used to some of my language. The first time I used the phrase "Bob's your uncle" they looked at me funny, as my name is Robert. I still get raised eyebrows over "swell", "nuts" (as an exclamation) or "cracking" good. Oh well, we have a lot of time for them to get used to it!

Best,
Robert

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I say "Oh my stars!" all the time, and it's been sort of 'adopted' at the office I work in. I don't know whether to be happy or slightly annoyed.[huh]

Barbigirl

Practically Family
DocBob345 said:
My new wife and step daughter are still getting used to some of my language. The first time I used the phrase "Bob's your uncle" they looked at me funny, as my name is Robert. I still get raised eyebrows over "swell", "nuts" (as an exclamation) or "cracking" good. Oh well, we have a lot of time for them to get used to it!

Best,
Robert

Bob's your uncle.....I remember hearing that in Mary Poppins, but what does it mean?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Yesterday at work I had a meeting with several people and for lack of a fix to a problem and uncomfortable silence I said, "well, aren't we in a pickle?"

My coworkers looked at me like I was an alien and said, "a pickle, a pickle?! that's an understatement!"

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
These are pretty funny!

My husband uses "golly," "gee willickers" and "swell" all the time. And although I have a tremendously foul mouth rivaling Carole Lombard (working on that), I frequently use, "Oh, stars!" I also call men "gents" or "chaps" and often start my sentences with "Say..." The other strange one I use is, "Now you're cooking with Wesson!"

Miss Sis

One Too Many
DocBob345 said:
My new wife and step daughter are still getting used to some of my language. The first time I used the phrase "Bob's your uncle" they looked at me funny, as my name is Robert.

I'm surprised - is this an unusual phrase in North America? It is still really common in England. Sometime for a laugh we'll say "Bob's your Auntie" which is sort of short for "Bob's your Auntie in a dress"! ;)

DocBob345

Familiar Face
If it's used here in America, it's probably filched from another continent. I've used it since hearing it in several older films and books. I just always loved the simplicity of the phrase.

You're right, Miss Sis, I hear it very rarely here in the States.

BTW, I also love the word "filch".

Best,
Robert

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'm not sure I've ever heard "Bob's your uncle"...maybe on an old movie or something, but if I did, I had no idea what it was supposed to mean.

If you think "the bees knees" is good, what about "the cat's pajamas!";)

griffer

Practically Family
Great googily, moogily!

Nifty

Keen

Ghastly

I use a lot of obscure words. I just don't realize they are obscure.

I have had two different guys I have worked for on separate occasions ask what 'über' means.

Schadenfreude is another fave of mine.

natty.

svelte.

cocked up.

pear shaped (uk, not vintage)

the following are not misspelled, but rather my own slang, borrowed and modified.

splenderific.

fantabulous.

ginormous.

hugungous.

ridibulous.

And of course, skirts are always judged as 'hat worthy' or not.

(My sailor vocabulary is even more impressive. When I was reading the Aubrey/Maturin series, all sorts of arcane, nigh on eldritch expressions) lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
'Goody gumdrops' :D

(think Brick Top from LOCK, STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELS)

griffer said:
(- nigh on eldritch expressions) lol
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn-style Eldritch?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
griffer said:
Great googily, moogily!

Nifty

Keen

Ghastly

I use a lot of obscure words. I just don't realize they are obscure.

I have had two different guys I have worked for on separate occasions ask what '?ºber' means.

Schadenfreude is another fave of mine.

natty.

svelte.

cocked up.

pear shaped (uk, not vintage)

the following are not misspelled, but rather my own slang, borrowed and modified.

splenderific.

fantabulous.

ginormous.

hugungous.

ridibulous.

And of course, skirts are always judged as 'hat worthy' or not.

(My sailor vocabulary is even more impressive. When I was reading the Aubrey/Maturin series, all sorts of arcane, nigh on eldritch expressions) lol
I use nifty and ghastly alot. Also I call things "foul" instead of bad, or other, more inappropriate words. Also, I love the word "fantabulous", I use very often. :p

griffer

Practically Family
Aw, eldritch just means obscure in an occult or magical way- of or relating to the fairy realm.

But I have enjoyed the tingles of tendrils stretched from the gaping maw of that darkest, non-Euclidean dreamscape- Night. I shudder now to recall that first fated evening my eyes fell upon my friend's tome of preternatural rantings.

To say that I broke with him is to repeat the subterfuge I contrived; for, in truth, he was lost to me. But lost to me only in the sense that he no longer shared my peadestrian and colloquial plane of existance. I am to his existance now as an electric lanthorn is to me...

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
My parents were not keen on having their kids curse and I read far too many young adult books from the thirties and forties, so here are the rather old-fashion phrases that pepper my conversation without me even meaning to and tend to raise an eyebrow or two in conversation:

- "Hot dog!"
- "Cheese and crackers!"
- "Oh my stars!"
- "Jinxies!" (more of a nod to Scooby Doo's gal pal Velma, but still, it works)
- "Oh sugarfoot!"

Sugarfoot is also a favorite name to call babies in my family. It was also used in "Arrested Development" as the name of some long-gone TV show about a horse in the fifties.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jeez!

Doh! said:
I got into an argument with a priest, he insisted that it was a shortened form of "Jesus." I told him that didn't enter my mind; I assumed it was a contraction of "gee whiz."

Discuss.
Sorry, I really hate to, but I'm going with the priest on this one as, to derivation. Though I don't agree that jeez is blasphemous.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Holy moly...

I don't know if that's actually out dated or not, [huh] or holy guacamole, sounds more like Robin in the old Batman tv show.

I also like to call people "dah-ling..." when I am not calling them dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80