Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oops! Did that just come out of my mouth?!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
most people know i'm a vintage freak so using out of date terms wouldn't raise an eyebrow. i prefer to surprise them with modern street jargon like 'whack' (bad) and 'sick' (cool).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Say... what does "oh, SNAP!" mean anyway?

Either a cover for the s-word or "Damn that was harsh!"

I use it for the s-word occasionally. "Oh snap I forgot my..." doesn't singe elderly ears.

Viola

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Precisely! It helps to be wearing baggy jeans made by Fubu, for the correct inflection. lol

:eek:fftopic: and perhaps too critical (apologies, if so), but i was unaware there was any situation in which wearing such jeans could be beneficial.

GOK

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
A question for our U.K. Loungers. When I first read Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim I thought 'beetle off' was a charming phrase and I still use it to this day. Of course, no one know what I'm talking about. Is it still (or was it ever) popular over there?

Regards,

Senator Jack

As in to beetle off? Meaning to leave somewhat hastily? To scuttle away? Yes, it is still used over here and is certainly a phrase that was/is used quite frequently amongst those I know/have known.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
I've been known to say "Heavens to Murgatroyd" on occasion.

Do you say this in your Snagglepuss voice?

J. M. Stovall said:
At least once a week when I'm leaving the office I say "I'll see you mugs later".

HA HA HA mugs! I love all that classic street slang.

koopkooper said:
"Bob's your Uncle" is a fave too!

I was disapointed in the definition! I was hoping it to be another 'Your Mom' quip.

A short while back, I actually said 'scram!' to some kid. I also am partial to 'squirrely'.

Sunny

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Us hillbillies in North Georgia said it "whompy-jawed." :)

Good deal! Kentucky and Ohio fit right in, too. It came from my maternal grandmother, and her people have been in and around Canton, Missouri for a looong time. So this one's definitely not a Texas thing.

Zohar said:
In the South we say cattywhompus. I'm not too keen on wopper-jawed.

I hear that one a lot, although I don't think it's ever made it into my vocabulary. I'm one of the unfortunate large-Southern-city natives who lack any accent and have few regional oddities of speech.

GOK

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Than you, GOK. Funny how I've never heard the phrase used in film, or actually anyone at all use it. I had only read it in Lucky Jim where the hero tries to get the girl to leave a party and 'beetle off to the pub'. I took it to mean 'sneak away.'

Regards,

Senator Jack

Well I suppose if they were going to sneak off to the pub, they'd probably want to go quite quickly, so yes, I think they could beetle off in this instance! :D

Christopher

New in Town
Hmm..didn't know how unusual my lexicon was until this thread.

I have used many of the ones here but also "Son of a Rutabaga", "Minerva" "Snafu" "Rasputin's Dagger", "Nero's Fiddle" and "Boxers". People in the office usually don't bother asking anymore but they can tell I am generally ticked off. I have also invoked the names of at least 30 or so Gods in my wrath..some really obscure.

As far as my less angry moments, "Gee", "Golly-Gee-Willacurs", "Great Caesars Ghost", and "Jenkins" at least half a dozen times in a week.

I have also referred to someone "Having a Queen Victoria Moment" meaning to be stuffy and dodgy while being in charge. IE: Aloof and snooty.

Heh..this has been fun. Thanks.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over two decades of listening to Rockabilly, jump blues and Swing records have given my language a distinct tone. Anything good is 'crazy' or 'the mezz'; guys are cats, girls are chicks, cars are 'kemps' or 'rides' and I never leave, I 'split'. If I really enjoy something, I'm 'fractured.'
Scarily enough, most of my non-hep friends not only understand those terms, they use them as well!

I suppose the weirdest phrases I use I caught from reading Moseley's "Devil in a Blue Dress." The novel's dialogue is written as the characters speak. We're talking rural coloured men caught up in big trouble in post-war L.A. After reading the book a couple of times, I found myself saying "I'm gone t' work," instead of "I'm going to work," and "He bad news, man," instead "He's bad news." Seems out of place for Australia, don't you think? Well, no one's ever so much as batted an eyelid over it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran