Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

tommyK

One Too Many
tumblr_n192wv4fuE1r91qw7o1_500.jpg

really digging the Knox Special Edition Mr. Deckard is taunting us with. Hope it goes into production.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Fisrt and formost welcome to the lounge. I hope you enjoy your time here. There is a lot of knowledge here and very little flaming. Secondly thank you for your order. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Stetson to make hats for us after we order them. That being said we do not know their production schedule. It could be longer or shorter.

Jeff
I almost wish I hadn't seen this post! LOL

These new offerings are sweet!

I just ordered a Premiere Stratoliner in Caribou from DelMonico.

How long of a wait should I expect for delivery to TN?

Bold1972

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge Bold1972. What a terrific way to start off with a new Caribou on the way. We all look forward to your posting of your opinion and some photos of the new addition.

Thank you - I am happy to post up pictures when the new Strat arrives - I always take them anyway :)

Bold1972

New in Town
Fisrt and formost welcome to the lounge. I hope you enjoy your time here. There is a lot of knowledge here and very little flaming. Secondly thank you for your order. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Stetson to make hats for us after we order them. That being said we do not know their production schedule. It could be longer or shorter.

Jeff

Sounds good - if the quality is as good as everyone here has stated, it will be well worth the wait.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
got mine in today in Mink

overall very nice felt, color good feel to the felt & creased EZ
conformed very well to my in between 7 1/8 & 7 1/4 LO (I ordered 7 1/8) sweatband is real nice
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv96%3B7%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2826469%3B%3B525%3Aot1lsi

Rebecca likes it !
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv337%3C%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2826472%3C%3B325%3Aot1lsi

But
im going to be honest there are 2 stitches on the left side of the ribbon that were sloppy tack stitches lacked quality control.
maybe it was the end of shift bum rush or a rookie stitch.
I run my finger over them feels like plastic & firm the stitches

front left
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B25%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2826469%3B%3B825%3Aot1lsi

rear left
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B55%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D373555%3A%3A%3C%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

if I had the chance to buy in person id pass if it was like this

but I ordered it 10-11-13 & Jeff got us that sale special its here today
so if it weren't for the 2 stitches it would be well worth the wait & a good value & I would rate it excellent..

I might return it but might not be worth the hassle & cost....
hope I don't sound picky but maybe mine just slipped past quality control...

it sure does feel good sitting on my head though..
che

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Great looking hat, Seabass, but I don't think you are being too picky. That was a sloppy job on the stitching and for the price point these things are commanding I think it totally reasonable to expect better workmanship. But all in all it looks great!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Che, that is an area that has always been a complaint with Stetson's. They just miss the little touches on the hats. Mine look fine thou I wish the wear totally invisable like a vintage or custom hat ribbon tack.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
....I wish the wear totally invisable like a vintage or custom hat ribbon tack.

Well, I wouldn't say that vintage Stetsons had invisable hat ribbon tacks. They were done far better and more towards the bottom of the ribbons edge so they would blend in better. The problem with many of the modern day hat factories is the use of plastic thread which is not only bulky, but doesn't feel right. I suspect they use clear plastic thread to avoid having to buy thousands of thread colors. It appears in this example Hatco did use a regular fabric thread, it was just poorly executed.

Che: If you have a pair of fine tipped sewing scissors, you can cut that stitch and pull that thread out. Because the hat still has the ribbon sewn all the way around and at the bow contacts, it will not go anywhere if you remove the one stitch. Then with a little steam, the bunched up ribbon will look normal again. Just a thought.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
The first of mine came in. As was stated, the Premiere Stratoliner is not available in Tawny... darnit. What I received instead was Mink. Like I need another brown hat! But, we can dress it up with a blue jacket, heh.

The original:

stratad.jpg

My new Mink:

minkstrat.jpg

As I usually do, creased in a teardrop shape, pinched a little more than half-way back, with some decent rake. It's about 4-1/2" in the front and 3-3/4" in the very back. I raise a dome in the middle to clear my head.

I use steam to set the crease; this hat is soft out of the box, but where you hit it with the steam will determine where it gets stiff and holds its shape. While initially I was, "huh?" it actually makes sense. For the next one, the Cornhill, I'm going to steam the front lightly where the pinch is to get more of a snap into it.

If you haven't gotten any yet and you like the colors offered so far... it's worth the $225.

One last pic...

1782006_10202248193462775_2025621284_n.jpg

Hope you liked my little review.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner