Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

facade

A-List Customer
I covered this already, but to save you time: It's a new photo.

I'm puzzed as to why people keep assuming this is an old photo?[huh]

As for the whole, Stetson isn't what it was debate. These are being made in a (continuously producing since before Hatco) Resistol factory that has inherited a lot of original Stetson equipment, blocks, etc and employees that were there pre-Hatco. So what if they make several different brands in the same factory? With that logic, one might as well discount a 2013 Ford or Chevy as not being "heritage worthy" because they make several different brands in the same factory.

And comparing Akubras with a dress body Stetson isn't exactly fair since Akubras by and large are "outdoor" or "country" hats, not dress hats. Comparisons to the more outdoor aimed Stetsons like the Dune would be more apt.

Just some counter points to the continually rammed home points being made.

Randy

My question regarding all the brands being made in the same factory has nothing to do with lineage. To use your car analogy, I was comparing a Dodge Neon to a Plymouth Neon. My question is in regards to the distinctiveness of the individual brands. It seems likely that hats made in the same factory, by the same workers, on the same machines are all going to end up the same quality regardless of which name they bare. I was attempting to solicit any opinions to the contrary.

Canadian Biltmore did too...just what you are asking the retailers to ask for...

Got one of those in black kickin' around here somewhere. Haven't worn it in years.

It looked quite nice for quite some time, but repeated wearings in rainy weather left it dimply and a tad tapered. But it was okay, you know. No worse than most recently made "factory" hats, and better than some. Real nice dimensions and proportions. And it was a heckuva lot less expensive than the similar looking model from Borsalino. Maybe I'll get around to reblocking it one of these days. I've found that with some taper- and dimple-prone hats (pretty much all of them are, really, given enough use and abuse), once they've been through all of that and reblocked, they tend to hold the sharper look longer.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
My question regarding all the brands being made in the same factory has nothing to do with lineage. To use your car analogy, I was comparing a Dodge Neon to a Plymouth Neon. My question is in regards to the distinctiveness of the individual brands. It seems likely that hats made in the same factory, by the same workers, on the same machines are all going to end up the same quality regardless of which name they bare. I was attempting to solicit any opinions to the contrary.

All the hats that come out of Hatco are the same. The brands are mostly for segment marketing. Dobbs is maketed to the "Urban" market but they trying to move a way from that. Resistol is marketed to the rodeo crowd Stetson is the mainstream brand in dress and western. I have noticed that the hats seem to be softer then they were.
The question I had about the pictures and where they are coming from is because we did not see or hear anything about an open crown hat from our rep when he came in to show us new product for fall/winter 2013. We are getting our first trailer load in the next few days. It just seems strange that if stetson was looking to find retailers to take on an open crown hat they would talk to one of the biggest dress stetson sellers.

Jeff
Living the dream at
Delmonico Hatter

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
I just saw this on Matt Deckard's site!

Stetson 2014 Premier Stratoliner (will be available open crown) made using the original equipment, the same way it was made when introduced.
tumblr_mmszl1nuD71r91qw7o1_r1_500.jpg

How come I haven't seen this before?

If this is really coming, I'm pre ordering no matter te cost(within reason;))!

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
Don't know? He updated tumblr yesterday and the post on the Stratoliner is from 2 weeks ago. You would think that he would bring this info to the lounge himself.

Duper

Practically Family
Well isn't that interesting. We are looking for a new open crown hat and it seems like it already exists on someone else's drawing board. Time to spill the beans.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Was wondering why Matt up and moved to Texas. Is he working for Hatco or Stetson now?

Could be a good thing for that business if it is the case.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Photo Jun 05%2C 8 04 20 AM.jpg

And of coarse this shot from Stetson HQ.
tumblr_mnlc5bafdE1r91qw7o1_500.jpg

Interesting colors would love a cadet blue version like Eric's.
IMG_3036-M.jpg

Another vintage color combo was dark grey and silver belly ribbon
Photo%20May%2011%2C%2011%2046%2010%20AM.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Dear fellow Loungers,

Let me start my response with a question. Why are you all so against this? There hasn't been a single response that said "Yeah, I'd like to see it!". Thus far, it's all been "It will never happen!" "They don't exist!" "Buy another brand!". I and Matt Range of Stetson/Hatco have both stated that they do exist, and it can happen.

As for the photos I'm sharing, they've been floating around the internet for a few weeks, I only discovered them Friday. I contacted someone I know at Stetson to verify what I was seeing and to ask when/were I can get one. I was told they're ready to be made, only that retailers had to ask for them, that I should make a pitch to get interest if I really want one.

SO, I came here, the gathering place for hat enthusiasts, and a core of retailers dedicated to our hobby, to try and spark interest in a product that you were all previously ready and willing to buy. I fully expected to come here with this and at least have some positive reaction, all I've gotten is dissent and negativity. Quite frankly, I find your biased, negative attitudes disheartening.

You've been throwing out arguments that open crowned hats won't/don't sell, yet in the next breath say I should just order an open crowned Akubra. You've said Stetson won't make an open crowned Stratoliner and I've shown you photos of one and Matt Range has said they will make them.

No, it didn't work out last time. The reasons of "why" I personally found to be vague at best. I've read every page, every post of the FedoraFest III Strat thread. There was no real "resolution" no real, definite answer as to what the issues were, just a blanket statement of "there are issues" and then "this ain't gonna work, so don't ask questions!" and the whole thing was dropped and the thread closed. But in a few years time, things can change. New people can come into a company, new/old ideas can be rekindled. Progress can be made.

But you've all chosen to believe things can't change. That something that now exists, doesn't. You choose to pick apart photos of prototypes that you believe don't exist, question the quality of a product you've never touched or worn, and come darn near close to calling me a liar.

As for the question of my desire being nostalgia. Yes, yes it IS nostalgia! What's wrong with nostalgia? Wasn't it the appreciation for a bygone era, nostalgia, that brought each of us here in the first place? But it's not just nostalgia, it's the fact that an American company can and will make a product I thought we all wanted in the first place. It's the fact that we have the option of an American made factory hat that meets one of the criteria of many members here. But you've chosen to hold grudges, and wave a plague flag in the face of someone who points out that it can now happen.

Meanwhile, I've been chatting with the owner of Nashville's HatWrks via Facebook. She immediately expressed interest in stocking such a hat. She spoke with her Hatco/Stetson rep YESTERDAY (Saturday) and he said he'd need to do some research and get her the order details Monday. THAT'S how someone has made motion toward an order. I didn't say she'd made one, I said she was in the process of putting one in.

While you've sat back and argued the "why" of how it won't work, while you spat at the idea, I made a connection and have an interested retailer.

I'm being frank and honest in this, my closing remark. Your vitriolic responses have made me question the friendliness and good will of a group that I once held in high esteem. I thought the Lounge was a place where ideas were fostered, member opinions were valued, and that we all had something in common. I'm beginning to question all of it now. Thank you for taking what I considered to be a gesture of community spirit toward my fellow Loungers and hat wearers everywhere and deficating on it.

Yours, a disheartened,

Randy Webb

I would love to see Hatco put open crowned Strats into production...I wouldn't put my money into one of the pre-creased Strats they have on the market right now....and the hat stores want a good chunk of change for those pre-creased Strats...I agree Randy, I want to see Open Crowned Strats back into production...

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Who makes Miller hats? They offer an open crown, If HatCo makes them and they sell well perhaps they will be encouraged to expand their efforts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21