Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hi, everyone. Do any of you afficianados know why the sizing on Stetsons is so erratic, in terms of the availability of larger sizes? I'm looking for a size 7 7/8 in the Premier Stratoliner, but the only store offering them is Delmonico and, even there, not in the mink. It's odd that even the Stetson home-site has a very limited range.

That is a big question that I cold not answer until I started working at DelMonico's. Stetson does not warehouse hats waiting for our order. They make them as we order them. This season we saw the available hats in late January and placed our order in March. We started to receive them in July and had most of the them by mid September. We have a large off sight storage space near our store that is used mainly to hold Stetson dress hats. Here is a link to a video I shot of one of our rooms after it was filled for this season. We tend to order sizes on a bell curve. 7 3/8 is the most common size now so we order the most of that size and less going up and down. Not all hat come in sizes bigger than 7 3/4 and some only as big as 7 5/8. Because Stetson does not warehouse them we have to and that takes a lot of capital that is tied up. All the manufactures operate in a similar fashion. At this point we are past the date for guaranteed Holiday delivery. Now the hat companies close the week before Christmas and don't open again for three to four weeks. At that point they are more interested in making straw hat then felt since we will start to take delivery of straw hat in February. So we have to pick and choose where to put our money. We started this season with 36 7 3/8 regular Stratoliners in silverbelly and we are out of them already. We have more coming but the lag time is 6 weeks. We will have them hopefully before Thanksgiving As for the Stetson store. It is not owned by Hatco the licensee to make and sell Stetson felt hats in the USA. The store is just another licensee that has paid Stetson in NYC for the rights to use their name on an internet store. So they have to order just like the rest of us.

Jeff

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that insight, Jeff. Obviously you guys have to be careful with what you order so you don't get stuck with a bunch of unsold inventory - unless Hatco allows you to return these for credit.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you very much, Jed, for your explanation. I'll be ordering from you soon. Also, I was wondering if there is anything interesting coming down the pike in the way of straws (in a 7 7/8!) in the near future.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Maybe the new-made hats might be thought of as "crap" compared to the finest from the 30s and 40s. But that doesn't mean modern-made hats are crap in the scheme of things. After all, it is a completely unfair comparison to compare today's factory hats to those of the golden age of hats.

I agree with the others that Stetson has really upped its game in the last two years or so. In fact, Stetson began to up its game starting back in the late 1990s when it first put out the Nostalgia. So, the company has slowly but surely been looking to make its offerings better for years, now.

So, go buy a new hat, too, along with your vintage ones. I have!
Yes; as much as I love the vintage hats I've bought since discovering the Fedora Lounge, I can't bear to part with the nougat Temple and the mist gray Temple I bought in the '90s (I guess they're sort of vintage now too). Both fit well and look good, and feature colors the Temples of today don't come in.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Another thing Jeff doesn't mention but is very important... once a year an inventory is made... and taxes are paid on that inventory. If you have to have stock because your supplier only does runs when they feel like it... you're stuck paying taxes on that. Can be less than fun.

Tom

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Hi Everyone,

JJ hat center has the stetsonian as demonstrated here.

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-stetsonian-by-stetson-in-mink

I took the liberty to email them today. First off, in my opinion 275 is a bit pricey for a hat that really lacks some quality control measures, that said there is a convenience factor at play here, I think. Anyway, below are my questions and then the reply (thought this may be helpful to potential buyers)

Me: "Good morning,

Some questions regarding Stetsonian:

Ive seen various brim widths reported ranging from 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 are your dimensions accurate, what are they based on?

Crown height I've seen reported 5 3/4 to 6 1/2 same questions.

How do Stetson hats tolerate rain?

If I'm a long oval should I order up a size?

Your website asks for discount code at ordering, is there a sale or coupon available?

Thanks."

JJ Hat Center: "The brim width on the Stetsonian is 2 5/8" based on the style tag, and our own measurements. Crown Height is a 6 1/2" open crown. Meaning when the crown is round it is 6.5" from the top center to the band line in a straight tine. When the crown is creased it can be made as low as 5 inches and as high as 5 3/4". This is a premium quality stetson, so it will tolerate rain as well as any other hat of superior quality.(Light to moderate rain is fine, might need some reshaping if you get caught in a downpour). Stetsons run slightly large and the sweatband on this hat is quite soft Usually with a long oval shaped wearer, this hat runs true to size. As for the discount code, there are no sales or coupons available.

Best,"

To me, the dimensions look good, especially the crown height, but otherwise, I suspect you could probably go custom for a similar entry price, not to favor one over the other but Art lists the nutria blend at 265.

Thoughts?

Asmo

One of the Regulars
This evening I ordered a Stetsonian from DelMonico. They are also running a coupon or two if you are on their mailing list. But I believe there is a six week wait for any color besides Tawny. I could be wrong. I ordered Caribou, so I'd like to be wrong on the wait.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyK

One Too Many
tumblr_nfal1rTzyC1r91qw7o1_500.jpg
Stetson Exposition

tommyK

One Too Many
Mr. Deckard's caption with Mr. Deckard's picture says "Stetson Exposition". Maybe they are changing the model from it's previous iteration. I'm assuming he knows what hat he's wearing.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
Asmo - I hope you are wrong, but my recent experience was much closer to 8 weeks. Frank.

Yeah, I got the confirmation email last night estimating January delivery. It will be a great after-christmas present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21