Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

Landman

One Too Many
My black Strat has been a very nice hat. I have worn it quite a bit but only once in a light rain and did not have any problems with taper or the dye bleeding. Mine came from DelMonico and was part one of the first order.

tommyK

One Too Many
My black Strat has been a very nice hat. I have worn it quite a bit but only once in a light rain and did not have any problems with taper or the dye bleeding. Mine came from DelMonico and was part one of the first order.

+1 no problems with bleeding, powder or tapering. My only complaints are the inelegant stitching on the ribbon and both the crowns on mine were overly stiff and difficult to shape.

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the reassurances guys. Crappy tack stitching and stiff crowns are Stetson traits I've been dealing with for many years on their westerns, so no biggie there. Looking forward to the hat, as finding a vintage Strat in a 7 7/8 is not happening. My 2 1/2 year old was playing in his vintage 6 3/4 grey Strat today, got me wondering what it would be worth on eBay in my size. Frank

VTporkpie

Familiar Face
My 2 cents to go with the ample amounts of change already on this post. Just purchased a Silverbelly Strat and am impressed with the pounce and feel of this production hat. Not stiff at all, takes a good dry crease, and holds up to some other customs I have. My only gripe is the same I have with all Stetsons in that I am a dead on 7 1/4 in every other brand, but am a way too loose 7 1/4 Stetson and a tight 7 1/8.

All in all though, I hope Hatco keeps this up. Head and shoulders above other mass produced moderns and I for one am glad to see the new colors rolling out.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FWIW, I have not (& will not be getting) the Stetson Orienter Straw Hat, but I got (& got rid of) both of the "Original Forty-Seven" Straws, the foldable shangtung as well as the Panama version. Very disappointing.:(

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm hoping to go to Delmonicos and see the new colors in person. Still waiting for this hat to become available
tumblr_n108pa8GFL1ts2dtbo1_1280_zps3492d628.jpg

I don't think it's coming

I'm with you Mr. Blaine my Original 47 is probably going to go

bartcubb

New in Town
What are the problems you are having with your hats? If you let us know we can pass it along to Stetson.

Jeff

I bought an Original 47 online and while I like the overall profile of the hat, I was a little disappointed to see fraying around the brim edge and broken straws here and there. It seemed a bit sloppy for a hat at that price point.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Jeff,
Its been slightly over a month since it was mentioned about the hat(?) show, any more current word? Even if nothings coming out till next year, I may be able to wait if I hear something that peaks my interest.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm hoping to go to Delmonicos and see the new colors in person. Still waiting for this hat to become available
View attachment 17726

I don't think it's coming

I'm with you Mr. Blaine my Original 47 is probably going to go

If this hat is made, I would without a doubt buy one for both myself and my Husband. The "heather" look is not something seen every day.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have refrained from buying the new Stetson Stratoliner, not because of any negative comments nor positive ones, just seems close to a price for a custom hat, or finding a clean vintage hat that is close to appearance of a NOS never worn hat. Not knocking anyone that has purchased one of these new Stetsons at all, and perhaps for some that do not find anything vintage of their liking the Stetsons work for them. They just sit on a "price zone" that I am not really going to entertain paying.

tommyK

One Too Many
I have refrained from buying the new Stetson Stratoliner, not because of any negative comments nor positive ones, just seems close to a price for a custom hat, or finding a clean vintage hat that is close to appearance of a NOS never worn hat. Not knocking anyone that has purchased one of these new Stetsons at all, and perhaps for some that do not find anything vintage of their liking the Stetsons work for them. They just sit on a "price zone" that I am not really going to entertain paying.

I recommend these to people with big noggins like mine who can't find a vintage Strat anywhere near this price if at all. Also to people who are uncomfortable with/or have a phobia about wearing someone else's old hat. Or someone who is new to hats and unsure of the style, go to a store and try it on. A nice vintage one would be best. A custom would be better if you can get it at this price.

tommyK

One Too Many
If this hat is made, I would without a doubt buy one for both myself and my Husband. The "heather" look is not something seen every day.

Yep, really want one of these.

tumblr_n108pa8GFL1ts2dtbo1_1280_zps3492d628.jpg

Again, I'll probably never find something like this vintage in my size so I'm in.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yep, really want one of these.

View attachment 18186

Again, I'll probably never find something like this vintage in my size so I'm in.

Not sure but perhaps the gentleman from DelMonico hats could find out about this hat and it's possible production? Now this hat if made, would be something I would buy as long as the price tag stays south of $300.00 because as soon as it goes past that, I'd be a calling a custom hatter and have it done up by them. But also if they do make this hat, I 'll order two of them, one for myself and one for my Husband.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I recommend these to people with big noggins like mine who can't find a vintage Strat anywhere near this price if at all. Also to people who are uncomfortable with/or have a phobia about wearing someone else's old hat. Or someone who is new to hats and unsure of the style, go to a store and try it on. A nice vintage one would be best. A custom would be better if you can get it at this price.

It is hard to find a clean vintage stratoliner, in a size 7 1/2 LO but I have done so a few times already. Sold one to a fellow lounger and I am very sure he loves it the same as we did here. Price was not all that much more than these new Strats are, but I am also sure I was just at the right place at the right time to obtain them.

Yes you are most likely correct, for the larger sized heads, having these as an open option is a good thing. Not saying they are not.

tommyK

One Too Many
Not sure but perhaps the gentleman from DelMonico hats could find out about this hat and it's possible production? Now this hat if made, would be something I would buy as long as the price tag stays south of $300.00 because as soon as it goes past that, I'd be a calling a custom hatter and have it done up by them. But also if they do make this hat, I 'll order two of them, one for myself and one for my Husband.

Sadly, I asked about this when I was there in the spring and Jeff said the Knox brand is for the European market, if this hat goes into production at all. I haven't found any custom hatters that offer this color/kind of long hair heather color. It may be the only option left to us.

+1 on $300 or less

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy