Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Operation Market Garden

Bugguy

Practically Family
Heading to Groesbeek (Netherlands) at the end of this week to tour the museum (Grateful Generation Tours) and the battle field where my father (82nd Airborne) landed in a glider. These guys have my fathers uniform, medals, etc.on display. I'll post some pictures when I get back.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Heading to Groesbeek (Netherlands) at the end of this week to tour the museum (Grateful Generation Tours) and the battle field where my father (82nd Airborne) landed in a glider. These guys have my fathers uniform, medals, etc.on display. I'll post some pictures when I get back.
Rained every day in Amsterdam and Paris. However, the Market Garden battlefield trip to Groesbeek (at the German border) was clear, sunny, and windy.... almost too cold for a top down jeep ride. Here are a couple of pictures that show the actual field my father landed in, with the forest he fought in on the German side. This was all represented in the 1977 movie "A Bridge Too Far", adapted from the Cornelius Ryan book of the same name.

This was a pretty moving trip - even my wife was struck by the "feeling" of the battlefield. Looking at it as my father would have and remembering his description of the battle, it's no wonder 30-40 years later he was still dealing with the effects.

IMG_8800.jpeg
IMG_8801.jpeg
IMG_8802.jpeg

Below with Toem van Dorn, the museum and tour owner.
IMG_8818.jpeg
IMG_8816.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpeg
    IMG_8800.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner