Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on a Straw

Uberneot

New in Town
What do you all think of this...

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/PROD/sfed/p138

I really like the style; its the same dimensions as my felt. It says its not Shantung, and made by a reputable company (Scala, they're reputable, right?) but at $70 US (for a hat that doesn't come in real sizes, only sm, med, lg, and xl) its tripping my "You-Get-What-You-Pay-For" alarm. What do you all think? Can anyone suggest a better choice similar to this one? (4 inch crown, 2 1/2 inch snap brim, center dent with the bashes in the front, etc.) I wasn't planning on needing a straw this soon but I was just informed that my whole family is going on vacation to the Dominican Republic in January. Thanks!

android

One of the Regulars
My first Panama was similar to this. It's a Cuenca that's been machine blocked. That's means it'll last about two summers of regular wear before it cracks, unravels and becomes generally useless except for the lake.

Buy it if you need it in a hurry, but your $70 + shipping would be much better spent getting something from Bob.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Scala??

I have one and its an Ok hat. It shrank after repeated wearings and I have to keep it in a stretcher. Also the sweatbands are some cloth material, they will soak and could bleach into the body of the hat. save your money, the Scalas are turista hats. At 70 bucks its too pricey for what you get.

stylin

Familiar Face
art92101 said:
I have one and its an Ok hat. It shrank after repeated wearings and I have to keep it in a stretcher. Also the sweatbands are some cloth material, they will soak and could bleach into the body of the hat. save your money, the Scalas are turista hats. At 70 bucks its too pricey for what you get.

Art, how about Scala fur felts? Any good? Do they shrink like the daisys too?
Better wuality than their straws??

Grimstar

Familiar Face
I have a scala "havana" style....not a bad hat, I haven't had any shrinkage problem, but maybe I just haven't worn it enough :p I also have two Dorfman Pacific hats, in natural (tan ) colored straw...bought the second after getting caught in the rain with the first...'nuff said...not bad for the price (about $35 ) but you get what you pay for. Just don't get caught in the rain! lol

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Panamabob said:
If you want to spend $60-70, you'd be better off with a Montecristi.

Yes Bob, we all know that a Montecristi is best and nobody sells them for less than you do. But for the person who wants a nice panama hat this week they can buy a Brisa or Cuenca from nearly any hat retailer.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
We almost always have Cuenca Brisas and Llano Lisos in stock for a nice price. However, if they don't mind waiting a bit, they can have a much better Montecristi.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
Panama bob, i checked out your site. Its very informative but i still don,t understand the price bump from $89 to $249. is there really almost a 300% difference in quality?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
3 years ago...

I did a experiment and ordered a Montecristi from Brent Black $425.00. and one from http://www.montecristihats.com/ $350.00. Well when I got the hats I compared them to Robert Weber's Montecristi that I had bought and it had more weaves per square inch and the back weave on the brim was nice and even. A much better Montecristi than the $350.00 hat and the $425.00 that I had purchased.. I had paid only $89.00 for the Montecristi from Robert Weber... http://www.panamas.biz/

It cost me a few dollars on postage to send these over priced hats back but I learned where to buy my Montecrist's hats from....:eusa_clap I hope this helps!!

"Buy the hat not the story":D

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
No doubt your prices are fab compared to others ... but do you think my spending the extra $$$ will give a quantum leap in quality/

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
:D You can get a "colored" Cuenca Panama hat for around $30.00 from Panamabob. Just ask him...
I like the natural off white color it will take on a nice patina over time and the hat has no stiffner in it to crack the straw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo