Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on the fit of my Aero 50's Half-Belt Requested

Deacon

Familiar Face
I've owned this jacket on the link below for almost 15 years and have always thought the fit was fairly good. However, after seeing some pictures posted recently of fellow FL members wearing similar jackets, I'm no longer sure the fit is proper.

http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/EdwardBrindle/Half-Belt/

The jacket is a 42 regular (w/no modifications) that when zippered fits me snugly around the chest and shoulders (I'm about 44" in the chest but with relatively narrow shoulders), but stands out from the sides of my hips (I'm a little over 30" at the waist), even though I have the side straps pulled in as much as possible. In pictures I've seen of other forum members in this type of jacket, the bottom portion appears to fit closer to the hip area when zipped up. (I should add that I'm about 5'11"; approximately 165lbs.)

So if I could get your opinions as to the fit around the waist area, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Deacon

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I have approximately your numbers and I wear a size 38 30's half belt which is even more snug than the 50s pattern, however if you like it don't care about the comments of the people of the board, the jacket is yours!

Aether

One of the Regulars
The fit looks fine to me, and if you were initially happy with the fit and have been wearing it for over 15 years, I wouldn't worry too much about how it looks on others. I've got a 50's HB and it does fit a bit closer in the waist/hips, but that's more down to my build.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can't tell from those photos. Anyway, fit is a mixture of subjectivity and dogma. As long as you are happy does it matter?

From my perspective..when someone asks for opinion...they usually want an honest one. Here's mine : The jacket just looks too big. Even a '50s HalfBelt is supposed to be trim waisted.
HD

DSCF3122.jpg

Deacon

Familiar Face
I think it's too wide at the waist as well. I just never noticed until I recently zipped it up for the first time - I don't wear the jacket much and live in place with mild climate, so I always wore it open.

Deacon
Looking closely..it seems too wide even in the body/chest area. That's the reason I am suggesting it is a size or two too big. I don't think that it looks 'bad' persay....but just doesn't fit like the normal HB.
HD

Cooperson

One Too Many
44" chest and a 30" waist - wow! Many of us on this site can only dream of a 30" waist :)

To be honest, the jacket does look loose around the waist but with your dimensions I think you might really struggle to get a trim fit all over with Aero's standard patterns. I think the 30's halfbelt might be a better choice but, with such a difference between you chest and waist measurements, any jacket would need some serious modifications.

We have to know if it's a measured waist. I wear 35" pants but I measure 40" with a 49" chest. It is kinda rough, but I specifically asked for the waist to trim down. We'll see how it came out. All I know is I like things better after dropping weight/inches.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I have a similar problem with my 30s Halfbelt. I do need the shoulder width of the size 40 jacket I have, but the chest and waist are too loose. Amanda said it's no problem to make a hybrid and have a jacket with shoulders in one size and taper it down to a smaller size from the armholes.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Honestly, I think that the Aero jacket sizes are vanity labeled. If you go to Insurrection's website, they state that the Aero Cafe/30's halfbelt are one size too large and that the Stewart is two sizes too large.

My pit to pit on my 38 measures around 22". I think that most buyers like/require a loose fit and thus Aero steers people to the larger cut. If you are slim, the smaller size fits much better.

Rudie, we are the same size, try a 38 before trying to alter the cut of the jacket.

H&D I agree. I have three Aeros - all the size tags are different, yet they fit me much the same. I think they're based off of the pattern size they start with myself. Which makes perfect sense...you gotta cut the hides to start with to a specific size is my understanding...hence, always look at the numbers, not the tag.

I looks a little like my HG-5 Aero in fit. Mine might be a little more snug at the waist, but I don't think it looks bad by any stretch...how does it look unzipped?

Last edited:

Deacon

Familiar Face
Well, that's a good point, A.C. I guess I've grown to like the closer look of the jackets I've seen of other forum members, recently - HoosierDaddy, comes to mind.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner