Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this heavy black cowhide leather jacket...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not necessarily something I would personally go for (right now at least, I'm more geared towards flight jackets like the G-1 or A-2), but in my opinion that's a good looking jacket. There's something I like about the two-tone leather color, with brown on black. As for age, I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about that, to me it looks like it can be worn pretty conservatively enough, especially when paired with a dress shirt, and maybe slacks if not jeans as well. Jeans will go great with that though!

Peacoat

Bartender
I normally gravitate toward specific use leather jackets, such as motor cycle jackets or flight jackets. So I have an initial bias against this jacket. However, putting that bias aside, I don't like the stitching, especially the stitching at the back of the jacket; there is just too much of it.

All I can see when I look at the jacket is the stitching. My impression is that it was added on for no real purpose other than to stitch it up for someone's idea of styling. That isn't my perception of how a jacket should be made. I prefer a simple and non cluttered presentation. But that is just my 2 cents worth.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
^^ yeah what he said.

Style is a personal preference and I think this would look fine for what it is intended to be.

With that said... I like jackets that have some roots in either history and/or serve a functional purpose. Form follows function.. That's why I also gravitate toward moto / military jackets.

This looks like a quasi-cafe racer with the mandarin collar and waist length. Personally, I don't like the unneccesary stitching and 3-piece back. Prefer function over style. Why mess with a proven design like the 141 or Style B?

375 would be steep for me... perhaps it is chump change for others with deeper pockets. For almost 4 bills I could probably snag a lightly used Schott or Vanson, which in all likelihood, may have inspired or at least informed this garment to begin with.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
My GF likes it on me. The fit is spot on. Feels heavy but well broken in. I appreciate the comments but you also need to understand that vintage jackets are not my bag and that is why I am considering this modern looking one. No offense, but I don't want to look like an wrinkled old retired pilot yearning for the good ole' days. Much like I don't want to look like a 20 something wanna-be baller from Fast and the Furious. Glad we can get that out of the way. ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
westinghouse said:
My GF likes it on me. The fit is spot on. Feels heavy but well broken in. I appreciate the comments but you also need to understand that vintage jackets are not my bag and that is why I am considering this modern looking one. No offense, but I don't want to look like an wrinkled old retired pilot yearning for the good ole' days. Much like I don't want to look like a 20 something wanna-be baller from Fast and the Furious. Glad we can get that out of the way. ;)

That's fine! I'm glad that you'll enjoy your new leather jacket. Just because most here are into flight jackets or more traditional motorcycle jackets, doesn't mean you have to favor them as well. You know, my first leather jacket had a color like the one on yours, and it was plain black, but it didn't fit me well, so I never really wore it much...

Papa M

A-List Customer
westinghouse said:
I am 39 years old and wonder if it may look too youthful or trendy for me.

Blimey! Only 39 years old and you're starting to worry too much.

Go for it. It is a neat jacket and if you feel good in it then you should wear it.

I can't imagine that it would look youthful or too trendy - even on someone in their fifties. Look at all those senior Harley types in their later years. I don't think they look ridiculous at all. Some of them are overstated a little in their overall appearance. However your jacket is comparatively subtle.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Will it look good in 10 years?

I'm going to venture a "probably not." One of the benefits of getting a "classic" jacket is that they tend to be timeless. If you decide to go with a fashion jacket, you are subject to changing styles and industry whims. With that said, though, if you like it, I say go with it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not really a classic jacket, is it? But you know what? If it were worn by, say, Daniel Craig, in a movie - everyone would be wanting it. My 2 cents - leather jackets should be simple and subtle and made for a job (flying, riding a bike, etc). But having said that, I prefer this jacket to some of the more rococo designs like Aero's Windward or the Schott Brando style Perfecto.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Well it certainly looks good on the model; the stitching doesn't look nearly as conspicous in the model shot. I like the look and color of the jacket and especially the higher than normal stand up collar and sewn on shoulder epaulettes, two things you don't often see on what is essentially a cafe moto jacket design.
With that said I'm not a fan of the stitching on the back (front is fine) but as with the model shot perhaps it isn't nearly as conspicous as in the picture. I suspect that it wouldn't be difficult to "tone down" the stitching if it proved to bright for you later. Also, I certainly wouldn't give a fig about how old I was when wearing it.

P.S. The leather looks heavy, good quality, what brand of jacket is it?

kyboots

Practically Family
Jacket

I think the jacket is great. It is not an A1 but if we all wore the same thing we would be alien clones. It is sexy and will go great with jeans on a weekend. If you are tall it will be even better. It will also get noticed (you won't sleep alone that night.) If you don't get it I will. Go for it. John

Windward

Practically Family
Don't worry about your age . . . style is ageless

"Look at me - I am old - but I am happy (Cat Stephens)

I am 50 and FEEL GOOD and wear what I like NOT what others like...
Thanks god I am a member of the Fedora Longe and still meet like-minded-persons.

Maybe my Avatar will shows you how an "old man" looks and feel with stylish leatherjackets. Life is too short to wear boring clothes ... driving boring cars or live together with ugly persons... just my humble opinion and now:

back to the good things in life ...

Thanks
Windward

Windward

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
Not really a classic jacket, is it? But you know what? If it were worn by, say, Daniel Craig, in a movie - everyone would be wanting it. My 2 cents - leather jackets should be simple and subtle and made for a job (flying, riding a bike, etc). But having said that, I prefer this jacket to some of the more rococo designs like Aero's Windward or the Schott Brando style Perfecto.

good said ...!!!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Tastes are all subjective. But I must admit that I'm very unimpressed with these jackets. Looks like a dozen other generic-looking car coats found at any department store in America.:) Not much that is timeless or remarkable about these in any way.

Here's a nice casual car coat... in fact the maker even calls it the "casual weekend jacket". Reminds me of a utility jacket from the 50's.

05a16f7a135blkfrt-1.jpg

westinghouse said:
I decided to be more conservative and buy these two jackets in black and brown instead:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
As for what my opinion is worth
(I own vintage, but not leather jackets... my only leather jacket is strange "luftwaffian- A2 indian made hybrid"... and... I like it!)

I'd go for the first posted cowhide jacket. Why not, after all?
At least it's particular and not identical to every other jacket. Way better than two more "conservatives", in my opinion: which, a part from being conservative, seem to lack any personality.

On the otehr hand, the "casual weekend jacket" posted by capataincaveman seems to have both "conservativeness" and some style.

I also second what SebLucas said: there's plenty of jackets (or other items, by the way) that are completely normal and nothing special, and have their own aficionados only cause they were used in some movie or TV series.
Ciao!

sbhva

Familiar Face
Westinghouse;

I really like that first jacket you posted. Can you give me a link to the seller?

BTW, I am 56 years old (well, for another 2 months) and I would not be worried about the style being too young for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn