Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on US Authentic A2

William Diamond

New in Town
Folks,

My current ELC A2 has seen better days, and needs a new lining, cuffs and waistband. I'm on the fence between spending around 1K for an ELC A2, or pocketing a few hundred and going with a US Authentic as a backup/new jacket.

I've tried searching, but frequently get an error message. The few times the search feature plays nice with me, I've only found a few reviews, most dating back a few years. It seems opinions are mixed on the jacket quality. I'm not a rivet counter, but would like a nice replica of the A2.

Has anyone purchased a US Authentic recently, and wish to weigh in? Also, they appear to offer a repair service, has anyone used this? I'd like to get my ELC fixed, but no clue where to go for that...

Cheers,
Bill

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased a G-1 from U.S. Authentic earlier this year. It is well made and I am happy with the fit. However, it is not in the same league as Eastman in my opinion. If you are already used to the fit and quality of an Eastman jacket I think that you will probably regret trying to save a few hundred by going this route.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Bought a US Authentic A-2 about 2 years ago. It's great "entry level" jacket for the money- but as noted it is not of the quality you'd expect from Aero or Eastman.
12074771_10200943020774053_3417349302339503098_n.jpg

HPA Rep

Vendor
Folks,

My current ELC A2 has seen better days, and needs a new lining, cuffs and waistband. I'm on the fence between spending around 1K for an ELC A2, or pocketing a few hundred and going with a US Authentic as a backup/new jacket.

I've tried searching, but frequently get an error message. The few times the search feature plays nice with me, I've only found a few reviews, most dating back a few years. It seems opinions are mixed on the jacket quality. I'm not a rivet counter, but would like a nice replica of the A2.

Has anyone purchased a US Authentic recently, and wish to weigh in? Also, they appear to offer a repair service, has anyone used this? I'd like to get my ELC fixed, but no clue where to go for that...

Cheers,
Bill

Hello, Bill!

Please contact us if you want to get your Eastman jacket(s) refurbished at the factory using Eastman parts. We typically send these over to ELC in bulk to save customers in shipping (much less costly than shipping a single unit). ELC won't be accepting repairs (other than warranty work) until the spring, so I'd suggest contacting us in early May. Once repaired, you'll get another 20 years out of the A-2.

Have a wonderful holiday season and winter if we don't bump into each other again!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Very early on I bought 3 jackets for U.S. Authentic. I learned from that experience what I didn't know, things like needle scars, loose threads, patches placed on the wrong side of the jacket. What I got from them was neither respect nor quality. However recently I purchased an "Authentic" second hand from a Lounger. His jacket was far superior to anything they made for me. Truth be told he was a valued customer, I guess I was not.

Worf

William Diamond

New in Town
Thanks folks,

Sadly for them, this seems to be the buzz on their jackets and customer service. While I have seen a few good reviews, there are more negative ones than positive...

I need to rethink this!

bn1966

Love my Eastman Roughwear A-2, so much so that I wore out the knits and lining. Sent it back for refurbishment & now it's rocking again. Charles is talking a lot of sense there & sounds like you avoid getting a hammering on shipping :)

William Diamond

New in Town
Love my Eastman Roughwear A-2, so much so that I wore out the knits and lining. Sent it back for refurbishment & now it's rocking again. Charles is talking a lot of sense there & sounds like you avoid getting a hammering on shipping :)

I know, but both my A2 and G1 are out of service. The G1 Talon zipper came off, and the A2 wont zip up and the cuffs are shot. Both jackets have been worn hard, and traveled the world, and logged thousands of hours in the air over 17 years! I will absolutely be sending them back for refurbishment, but need a jacket now! :(

El Marro

I know, but both my A2 and G1 are out of service. The G1 Talon zipper came off, and the A2 wont zip up and the cuffs are shot. Both jackets have been worn hard, and traveled the world, and logged thousands of hours in the air over 17 years! I will absolutely be sending them back for refurbishment, but need a jacket now! :(
Very simple solution here: buy a new Eastman G-1 and A-2 from HPA before sending the old ones in for repair. This way you have zero downtime and you will be able to to rotate jackets once the old ones are back.

thor

Call Me a Cab
IMG_3654.JPG
I just picked up this US Authentic HH A-2 from a fellow Lounger and I absolutely love it! Fits very well and has my favorite squadron patch on it (India-China Wing, ATC) plus a CBI shoulder patch on the upper left sleeve.
The seal HH is thick and robust yet very broken in and flexible. The grain is really popping up and there are cool vertical striations on the back (something I've only seen on Lost Worlds HH). Not sure how old the jacket is but it's a winner. There's nothing better than an ELC A-2 IMHO, but this jacket is really very nice. I guess it's hit-and-miss with US-A jackets.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 906

Deacon211

One Too Many
Sad to say that I have had a similar experience with Authentic. I bought the infamous "G8" jacket from them. The jacket itself was nice enough.

But the service I got was pretty abrupt, answers were summary, and questions were inconveniences.

I have heard that he does a great job with restorations. But I generally try to avoid doing business with someone I know is going to be a headache if something doesn't turn out right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Have you considered a US Wings or G+B jacket? Obviously getting another ELC is more of what you love. But if the price is an issue or you have use for a beater, there are other options out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why not go with some type of "beater" jacket, such as Cooper A-2 on eBay, and then send your A-2 and G-1 in for repair next spring?

J-Utah

New in Town
First time posting here, so take that into consideration before placing any value on my opinion.

I don't have much experience with the A2, but I am sort of an A-1 addict. I have owned many different brands, over the years, and absolutely love my two by US Authentics (one is HH and the other is goat). I will agree that a few other manufacture's quality might be a little better, but somehow I feel that the US-A jacket hits the mark better when it comes to what I am looking for in this particular jacket style. I want a high quality representation of a classic flight jacket as opposed to a piece of art. I love many different types of jackets and the design elements that go into them. However, when it comes to flight jackets I take a more utilitarian approach. As long as the jacket fits good and is of an acceptable level of quality, then good enough is good enough. And US-A fits this bill perfectly for me.

Again, my experience is with the A-1 but, if you are not ordering a custom from US-A, I would recommend taking one size down from your suit size as they tend to run a little large. And, as others have noted, they are a tad longer than some other brands. However, for a few dollars more you can have a custom one at you door in about a week and a half so I might go that route if I had any sizing concerns.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My experience with US A was a long time ago - 2002 - so I don't know how useful this is... I had a seal HH A-2. I thought it was well made of good materials for the price, and as a "generic WWII A-2" it was pretty good. I especially liked that it felt rough-hewn and hand-made, as opposed to the factory perfection of my G&B jackets. But the trim-but-long sizing was all wrong for my short-and-wide frame. I eventually sold it here to help fund the Good Wear Dubow that replaced it.

My feeling is, if their sizing works for you, they are a good moderate-price choice - especially their less expensive goatskin model. But if you've already had an Eastman A-2, the US A jacket is going to be a step down. Just know that if you go forward.

As to dealing with Shaul... since I live in the area, I visited the "factory" - actually an old carriage house adjacent to his home. It was, and still may be, a very small operation - just a couple of people and two or three sewing machines. (Hence the hand-made feel: it's really not a mass production setup.) It was good I did, because I had to size down from my G&B jackets... and even then, the sleeves and body length were seriously longer than the "oversized fit" G&Bs. Anyway, Shaul is Israeli, and like many Israelis I've met, he tends to be brusque and no-nonsense. But he does care about getting things right, even if he seems dismissive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner