Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions regarding Schott Vintaged Perfecto Jacket 618V1?

IXL

One Too Many
I have this jacket. Many total strangers comment on how good it looks (I presume on me). I found a brand new one and the retailer was willing to let it go for around half-price. The size "Med" was just too tight in the shoulders and I ended up taking it back, tags still attached, and got the "Lrg" which is a bit big in the belly area.
But at less than the cost of many of the Schott jackets I couldn't pass it up and I do enjoy wearing it. One of the pockets contained two small ceramic tumbling stones (a form of finishing media) which I believe to be from the aging process. Cost aside, fake age aside, this is a good jacket and I'm glad I got it.
If you like this jacket, get it and enjoy it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Funny about the aged look, I had a J C Pennys black motorcycle jacket I bought new in the 70s. I wore it every where for 25 years, on my motorcycles, while flying, working on cars, motorcycles and airplanes, doing construction work, I didn't baby it. Finally, the threads on the sleeve where they meet the body of the jacket gave up, i sold it to a Harley guy that liked the look, he paid to much, I was happy. It never did have the look of the predistressed jackets!

IXL

One Too Many
It is my understanding that Schott will not haggle with retail customers, as this would upset their dealers. The retail dealers are free to do what they want, however.

IXL

One Too Many
I've got a couple of old Filson jackets like that, but I can't seem to find a Harley rider who wants them.

green papaya

One Too Many
it's better to get a "distressed" jacket, because a new leather jacket could take a life time to get that "aged look" you will probably stop wearing it by the time it looks all aged and broken in, then it will be too late, lifes too short to age a leather jacket by wearing it

Edward

Bartender
it's better to get a "distressed" jacket, because a new leather jacket could take a life time to get that "aged look" you will probably stop wearing it by the time it looks all aged and broken in, then it will be too late, lifes too short to age a leather jacket by wearing it

You work in advertising? ;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just picked this one up for $89:
$%28KGrHqJ,%21jQE6FtYs7M4BOiRoSo12w%7E%7E60_3.JPG

Leather looks nicely broken in (it's from the mid-to-late 70s according to online tag dating). Hoping it will fit.
Might not be the precise model you are looking for, but there are a lot of Schott jackets out there, already broken in.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks guys. I'll let you know if it fits when it arrives. Also the seller never answered my question about the condition of the
collar where it touches the back of the neck- a common failure point for vintage leather jackets. But at that price...

The point is, there are a lot of those great old Schott jackets out there. BTW, mine is marked a size 50- there a lot of sizes
available, too. So I was trying to say that there's no need to spend the better part of a thousand smackers for a "broken in"
jacket when so many nicer vintage ones are available for less than $200. With an application of Pecard's, whew.

And ButteMT61, you're gonna have to let that buffalo jacket go... As a wise friend of mine who collects many vintage things
likes to say, "the life of a collector is full of regret". Plenty will get away, but more will show up. There are always amazing finds
ahead, even though it always seems like they don't make deals like they used to.

@ feltfan: touché. Hope yours is what you want it to be! We've been collectors (wife, an and me) for years, and yes, I rarely regret buying, only not :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't like this Schott at all. It reminds me of those 1980's fake distressed leather jackets, like those awful baggy A2's with the map lining. I way prefer the look of a simple Schott cafe racer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran