Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions regarding Schott Vintaged Perfecto Jacket 618V1?

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi. This one is on the Schott site and goes for $900. What are your opinions regarding this jacket? It's tempting to me because I can get an old looking, but new leather motorcycle jacket that's broken in right out of the box. What do you think of it?

Edward

Bartender
Nice enough looking jacket, tho i'd prefer to buy something that looked new and break it in myself. Not sure I'd spend that much on a jacket of this style with so many alternatives available for less. If you're into the idea of the "original", though, that'd be the Schott.

I tried that jacket on at a local leather shop several years ago. This shop carried some of Schotts 'upper end' and commemorative type jackets. I just couldn't justify the price of these jackets....mainly because of only standard fit. The only thing that seemed unique was the aging of the hide. For those prices I would prefer custom sizing.
HD

Aether

One of the Regulars
Nice enough looking jacket, tho i'd prefer to buy something that looked new and break it in myself. Not sure I'd spend that much on a jacket of this style with so many alternatives available for less. If you're into the idea of the "original", though, that'd be the Schott.

I agree Edward. I couldn't bring myself to actually spend more on anything 'vintaged', that would be truly distressing...sorry couldn't resist.

Metatron

One Too Many
I think that selling a distressed jacket for a higher price than the regular one is perhaps gimmickry. You could however buy used, or the equivalent in new condition for less and distress it yourself. However I think that most people here would agree that part of the appeal of a jacket is that it develops it's patina from your own use of it.

D

Deleted member 16736

I don't know about this particular jacket, but the "aged" horsehide on the Barney's Heritage Perfecto is washed. Do you really want a jacket that's been washed?

Aged jackets are due to modern immediate gratification.
Used is a mixed bag too. Unless its well -kept, it can have stains and/or smells.
Just get a new one and wear it to bed :)

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Butte, I don't know how wise it is to disagree with a man that looks like an NFL linebacker, but it doesn't matter how long I wear it, my jacket is never going to get that beat, well-worn, hard life look that the vintage Perfecto has. I could buy vintage and pretend I've lived a life of jumping railroad cars and riding with a hard luck motorcycle gang. However, I hope the jacket is not too heavy because I'm very dainty.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Butte, I don't know how wise it is to disagree with a man that looks like an NFL linebacker, but it doesn't matter how long I wear it, my jacket is never going to get that beat, well-worn, hard life look that the vintage Perfecto has. I could buy vintage and pretend I've lived a life of jumping railroad cars and riding with a hard luck motorcycle gang. However, I hope the jacket is not too heavy because I'm very dainty.

Always remember........you're the one who brought up the subject of a leather jacket possibly being too heavy as to cause back problems.

LOL. Not an argument! I hear you. Problem for me is too many jackets.
I sold two this week. More to go.
Once I get them paired down, I can wear each one more.
I don't like when folks wash/sand/chemically age jackets.
Just me. But get what you like. That's all that matters!!

This Schott has an overall flat finish in person. The one I tried on did have the look of some wear on the edges. The weight of the jacket was probably the normal midweight hide as on many MC/vintage jackets...maybe somewhat less since it was washed..or tumbled and the hide 'relaxed'. If the price doesn't bother you..then more than likely you would like this jacket. I suggest reading some of the comments on that website. They seem pretty accurate on the specifics.
HD

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have a little differnet outlook on this. I am of the opinion that real patina sometimes looks good, and sometimes just looks old and crappy. Even starting with a quality product, I've seen old boots, jeans, jackets, etc. that just look old and worn out.

I don't generally like to buy pre-distressed items, but I could see the advantage of having a jacket that had the best of both worlds (ie - new, and nothing is broken or worn out, but still having the patina of an old item).

As to the original poster's question, I would save the money and buy a standard new Schott and break it in myself. You can get a horsehide or heavy steerhide Schott for $300 less, and I think it will be a better jacket. Pre-distressed items can be nice, but sometimes a little authenticity can be nicer in the long run.

Last edited:
Funny thing this "patina". Before I came here (and a few other jacket spots) I always thought to replace my jackets when they looked worn. Lord, being 20 something was a time of ignorance :)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not get an actual used one for a lot less money?
Some of the old ones are supposed to be of good quality...

Otherwise, why miss out on the fun of breaking in your own jacket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran