Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions wanted: Marathon Refurbishing

BigFitz

Practically Family
Hey Gang,

I got this Marathon last year for free but it needs a sweat band, maybe a new ribbon and a good cleaning. Aside from these problems, the hat is solid with no moth damage or other issues. I looked up prices at Clean A Hat and with shipping this would cost around $130. I'm having trouble deciding if this is a sensible thing to do, or would I be better off putting the money towards a different hat.

Your opinions are appreciated.
hat 049.jpg hat 050.jpg hat 051.jpg hat 052.jpg hat 053.jpg hat 054.JPG hat 055.jpg hat 056.JPG hat 057.JPG

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you've got time to wait you could get it done cheaper here: http://www.falconparkhattery.com/Pricing.html From what I've read it does take some time to get the work done though.

For that style of hat I wouldn't personally get it restored. You could probably find something in better condition on ebay for less than the cost of restoring it. I would keep it as a beater hat and wear as is.

Not quite seeing why the sweat needs replacing. Rest looks like a good brushing & some shaping would address.
Some places in Ohio that may be cheaper but $130 for this hat is a bit too costly for me unless it has sentimental value.
You're talking the cost of a new Akubra, shipping included....

fashion frank

One Too Many
Salmugundi in Boston would do that for half that price and they also sew in new sweat bands .

I think Casechopper is giving you the best advice here since you got it on the bubble just steam (teakettle) shape it yourself ,give it a good brushing and wear it as your "everyday work" hat .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd go the DIY route - Naptha bath / soak in lighter fuel, lexol the sweat, decent brush with talc then shape over a kettle. I think it could come up quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen