Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo and Art

univibe88

One Too Many
Jazzcat said:
Please understand that I feel both of these guys are the among the best in the business. I hope I didn't come across as promoting some kind of unspoken rivalry. That was not my intention at all and sorry if it was read that way.

I didn't take it this way at all. I just took it to mean that it would be fun to showcase two of the finest hats available.

Jazzcat

New in Town
The ball is rolling on both sides

I just sent the conformer back to Art today.

The Optimo is well underway. Graham is making me a Milan "C" crown and I think I'll be going with a lightweight silverbelly from Art.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We're talking about Milan straw, correct? Is there a felt model called the Milan? If it's straw, I assume that you're going to talk about customer service and ribbon work. I'm sure that, whatever the Optimo is, both hats will be fantastic.

Jazzcat

New in Town
The Optimo will be milan straw. If the hats reflect the customer service, they're sure to be superior.

For the milan, I went with a 1" grey steel color similar to the one on Optimo's web page picture of the milan "c" crown.

As for Art, I really want to go with something casual for the felt. Does anyone have any ribbons from Art that are striped or otherwise casual in appearance. I think a thinner ribbon and raw edge are in order for a summer felt.

Jazzcat

New in Town
I just spoke with Graham amd Art. The Optimo is on the way via UPS ground and I finalized some details with Art.

The Optimo is a Milan C crown and should be here in the next few days.

The VS will be a Trackside in Sahara with a 12 ligne ribbon, color yet to be decided.

I'll post pictures as soon as the Optimo arrives.

Jazzcat

New in Town
The Optimo Arrived

My Optimo Milian finally arrived. It's light as a feather and the ultimate summer hat. Communication is a little tougher with Graham. He forgot to add my initials in the sweatband and the brim turned out just a little smaller than we last discussed. The hat itself is awesome in fit and finish. I am very pleased with the Optimo order, now just waiting for my Work of Art!
004.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Jazzcat

New in Town
Hi Torpedo

I just went with Graham's standard "C" crown block. It's good to hear you say it appears similar to a Maltese Falcon style. That is such a great hat!

animator

One of the Regulars
Jazzcat -that Milan is a very nice looking hat.

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please educate me on what exactly a "Milan" is and how it differs from a Panama... besides where it is woven.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Art Fawcett said:
Gent's, especially you Tomasso, please know that Graham and I are friends, do business together occasionally, and to my knowledge, have a great deal of respect for each other. I have never and will never disparage Optimo here or on any other forum.
Art, I'm flummoxed by your response. Neither my post nor any in this thread have questioned your relationship with Graham. [huh]

Art Fawcett said:
I don't understand the chip you seem to be carrying on your shoulder Tomasso
Have you shot any messengers lately.;) I merely re-posted the derogatory comments that one esteemed hat maker directed towards another....on the Internet....... for all the world to see. If you're in the mood to chastise, you might look to the author of said pejoratives.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tomasso said:
Art, I'm flummoxed by your response. Neither my post nor any in this thread have questioned your relationship with Graham. [huh]

Have you shot any messengers lately.;) I merely re-posted the derogatory comments that one esteemed hat maker directed towards another....on the Internet....... for all the world to see. If you're in the mood to chastise, you might look to the author of said pejoratives.

This is EXACTLY my point Tomasso, thank you for showing it so clearly.

You "merely reposted derogatory comments" NOT SPOKEN HERE into what was a pleasant thread. The reasons you DID must be personal which is why I invited a private chat. Nobody in this thread spoke ill at all about Optimo, yet you have injected the negative comments with essentially no reason. I'd call that a "chip" .

In another thread it was mentioned that Graham used rabbit blends and you came unglued and responded in what I thought was a pretty childish manner "let's just brand him a liar". It appears that Graham has recently changed his thinking and is moving toward pure beaver but for all the years I have known him he has ALWAYS advocated blends so the words spoken were absolutely true, rather uneventful, until you took offense. Yes, you DID backtrack, but the words and reactions are there for all to see. I'd call that a "chip"

Since you chose to make this public I will ask you publicly to fight your pissing matches where they occur and NOT poison every thread that even mentions Optimo and myself. I understand you are a loyal fan of his and that's a good thing, but this isn't life or death. We both just make hats the best we can. Life is hard enough, we don't have to fight over hats. If Steve Delks words were so offensive and unacceptable to you may I suggest you TAKE IT UP WITH HIM and leave it out of otherwise nice threads

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Art Fawcett said:
You "merely reposted derogatory comments" NOT SPOKEN HERE into what was a pleasant thread.
Yes, but those comments exist on The Fedora Lounge and I was responding to a statement to the contrary. You read that thread and you didn't say jack. You've sat by for years letting your business associate, Panama Bob, disparage just about every one of his/your competitors without as much as a peep. While I understand that it's your business strategy to do such, I'd say it very disingenuous of you to address my actions in this matter.

And yes, I did speak up for Optimo, big deal, it's not like I was defending the roundly despised despot Brent Black, another one of your whipping boys. :rolleyes:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
We don't need arguements here that, well that's not why we are here, take it to PMs

I just talked to Graham and yes he likes blends, and he likes all beaver hats. Different mixes different outcomes.

Both Graham and Art are god hatters and the only assertion this thread will make is an addition of two hats to that fact... and we will only get to see the finished hats. We don't get to wear them and find out in person which wears better.

If I see anymore back and forth nonsense that doesn't belong in this thread, it gets deleted.

Jazzcat said:
... He forgot to add my initials in the sweatband and the brim turned out just a little smaller than we last discussed...
Now that concerns me about a custom order. I'm glad you are pleased but to go thru the process & end up with a different brim width than discussed, expected or desired would not sit well with me nor my evaluation of a custom hat maker. JMHO...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Now that concerns me about a custom order. I'm glad you are pleased but to go thru the process & end up with a different brim width than discussed, expected or desired would not sit well with me nor my evaluation of a custom hat maker. JMHO...

I wouldn't be concerned about it unless Graham refused to fix the hat to the original order. In this case, the buyer hasn't asked that the order be corrected, which indicates that he's satisfied. I haven't heard anyone complain about Art or Graham as to product or service. They're both great guys.

Jazzcat

New in Town
No problems with Graham

I'm confident that if I asked Graham about the dimensions he would be eager to please. This is my second Optimo and their customer service is top notch. I think the hat suits me well now that I have it. But again, if I were to ask him to correct any problems, he would do so without hesitation. But it's a moot point. This one's a keeper.

univibe88

One Too Many
I think your Milan looks fantastic. What are the dimensions you got? It definitely looks like the brim is stingier than the example on the website.

As for any discrepency, I would think that it's to be expected. With milans and panamas you are dealing with an entirely hand made product with a complex weaving process. It's not a felt that can be trimmed to an exact size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk