Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo and Art

Jazzcat

New in Town
Hello folks,

While I have been a member of this forum for many years, I have relatively few posts. I'm more of a reader than a writer I suppose. But my current situation warented some action.

I have been lucky enough to have a hat on order from Graham at Optimo and Art Fawcett at the same time. The ordering process is very similar with the exception of the conformer sent from Art. Both fellas are just top notch in the customer service department. Wait times are scheduled to be a little shorter from Optimo, but I'll give some better comparisons as the hats arrive. They both were very cordial over the phone and seemed sincerely interested in making the customer happy. Art is better at returning emails although I just found out that Graham was on vacation last week. In any case, it has been a pleasure dealing with them both.

I'll keep everyone up to date as the hats arrive and thanks to all of the loungers for all the great posts along the way.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I don't see Graham & Art in an adversarial position. I think their different styles co-exist harmoniously and both contribute to the betterment of Fedorakind and those of us lucky enough to own them.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Alucard73 said:
I don't see Graham & Art in an adversarial position. I think their different styles co-exist harmoniously and both contribute to the betterment of Fedorakind and those of us lucky enough to own them.
:arated: It has been noted many times on this forum that there is no apparent adversarial position among the custom hatters we support. Nor would we want one to exist.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
:arated: It has been noted many times on this forum that there is no apparent adversarial position among the custom hatters we support. Nor would we want one to exist.

Except maybe for good game of Laser Tag! lol

seed

Familiar Face
Not to mention that Art will do repairs on non-VS hats, but is way back-logged on custom builds and recommended Optimo to me for repairs/refurbishments. He is happy to do it himself, but it would taken a while to get it done.

There is plenty of work for both and I don't get the sense of any adversarial relationship between them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This was done once before, with beautiful results and not one black eye.

B R A N D X® said:
The problem with ordering 3 custom hats within a week of one another is the obvious.......cash outlay. The advantage should be equally obvious.......3 new hats arriving back to back from three of the most highly regarded hat makers in the business today.

I'll not offer up a review of the three, but merely some photo's for your enjoyment. All of these shots have been white balanced to a gray card for accurate color representation....YMMV (Your Monitor May Vary).

Optimo Park Ave in English Gray. This hat arrived with a center dent and side pinch, but was pretty easy to rework. It also arrived with what appears to be a small, blue ink mark above the bow so it will most likely need to go back. I removed the ink spot in photoshop for the purpose of this posting:

2319403928_7cac5fe57c_o.jpg

2318593829_2f446e2142_o.jpg

2318593623_33656f2e39_o.jpg

Vintage Silhouette Trackside in Moss Green:
2319374096_eeb1f6192c_o.jpg

2319373564_d2e269879d_o.jpg

2318563609_8f3fa5852d_o.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gent's, especially you Tomasso, please know that Graham and I are friends, do business together occasionally, and to my knowledge, have a great deal of respect for each other. I have never and will never disparage Optimo here or on any other forum.

I don't understand the chip you seem to be carrying on your shoulder Tomasso, perhaps you can contact me privately?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do enjoy seeing the three different hats with their own unique detailing. This is something one can only get with a custom hatter. Supporting them and their craft will allow them to produce better and finer hats. Hats that we will want to purchase and wear.

As a side note; Art, that Trackside is gorgeous! I will need to give you a call soon.

Jazzcat

New in Town
Please understand that I feel both of these guys are the among the best in the business. I hope I didn't come across as promoting some kind of unspoken rivalry. That was not my intention at all and sorry if it was read that way.

Being that Art spends a lot of time informing and entertaining FL members, the last thing I would want to do would be to create any headaches for the man.

Art, you truly have set the benchmark very high in the custom hat market!! I just got the conformer today!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
it's always good to have friendly competition. Hats are often only as good as their felt, yet after you have great felt you need someone with a great eye to make the hat. Both Art and Graham have been leading the way bringing back hat standards to what they were when hats were on all heads. We owe them both a thanks.

Now let's see what Jazzcat gets in the mail over the next few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner