Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo Hats opening factory in vintage Chicago Fire Station

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
November 13, 2013
Former Beverly Firehouse To Be Sold to Men’s Hat Maker

Chicago’s premiere men’s hat maker will convert a former fire station in Beverly into millinery under a former fire station in Beverly into millinery under a redevelopment plan approved today by City Council.

Optimo Hat Company Inc. will rehabilitate the two-story firehouse at 1706 W. 95th St. for its new production facility and headquarters. The ground floor will be dedicated to the craft of custom hat-making and the second floor would house offices.

Valued at $190,000, the property will be sold for $1.Total project cost for the first-floor renovations would be $422,000. The $400,000 conversion of the second floor will be tied to the opening of additional retail outlets for the company. The project will create 10 new jobs over the next five years.

Built by the Chicago Fire Department for Engine Co. 121 in 1915, the 6,400-square-foot building closed in 2008 after a new, larger station was built nearby.

Founded 18 years ago, Optimo hats have been used in movies such as “Public Enemies,” “Road to Perdition” and “J. Edgar”and on a range of celebrity clients like musician Buddy Guy and actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.

Optimo's current millinery space on South Western Avenue will be converted to a retail location after the move.

Don't know where I've been, but this seems to be old news...I just found out about it. Congrats to Graham. He is a true American Success story!

Last edited:
Street view from July of this year. Probably some action going on behind the covers.

Picture38.png

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I am very happy for Optimo that business is doing well. It appears like their branding, service and offerings are working. The expansion and build-out shows they are a business intending to stay-excellent.

Sounds great. I better start preparing a resume and looking for a house locally. What's not to like - an area know for it's excellent blues music, hotdogs, Cubs and of course hats.

Future Mad Hatter Eric-

barrowjh

One Too Many
Graham's operation is definitely flagship, and he continues to innovate. Moving the production to a separate location is a big change, should free-up retail space at the Western Ave shop to display more inventory, and apparently retail volume is 'demanding' that.

oak1971

Familiar Face
Went to Optimo today. Was just staring up at the wall of hats and poof! There was Graham! He seems like a great guy and gave me ideas for my next custom hat. He also said they have some production already moved with more to come.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner