Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think of that color?

I own an oxblood and I love it. I wear it with gray and navy suits and with jeans & sport coats or leather jackets. I've posted this shots I tool of my hat before but since you were wondering about the color here they are again. It looks, I'd say, 98% accurate.

IMG_0524-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

One thing that several custom makers do is to send you a conformer that gives a drawing of your head shape. If Optimo (haven't shopped there) doesn't do that, you can do the same thing with some copper wire. Just wrap it around your head where the hat goes, and trace it to paper. Make a copy or two of the paper, and one on cardboard. Cut out the hole on the cardboard and see if your "new hat" fits or not.

Oxblood is a weird color, I love the color and wish I still had my old Gran Prix in Maroon to match it. I'd have to work a whole new wardrobe if I got an Oxblood hat though. Are there any Eastern Corridor hatters for the Boston brewer? The furthest East I've bought a hat so far is StL.

See, He was posting while I was typing. Great color, but I'd have to get all new clothes. If I found a tie that matched either the hat or the ribbon exactly, I'd buy two of them.

Later Y'all

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have an old oxblood with a black ribbon ... but it's so dark -- the hat, not the ribbon -- that in some light it just looks like brown -- again, the hat, not the ribbbon

The ribbon is black and looks like it

It's sort of like the old cordavan shoes they had when we were kids and you could wear them with browns, tans, black, gray ... whatever.

My oxblood is in good enough shape to wear with casual clothes, but I'd love to have one like is posted above to wear with suits.

Sam

bostonbrewer

New in Town
Thanks for the replies guys. I just reserved the felt with a downpayment, and now I have to choose style. It looks like I'll get my first optimo in about 3 weeks :)

BTW, she told me that they will not be doing another run of the oxblood for next year, so this may be it for awhile.

Tatude

New in Town
Got my Optimo Dillinger a few weeks ago in oxblood. I found the crown was just a touch higher than I'm used to. I'll try to post photos. The color is good but steel grey looks better on me. Quality of the hat is great.

Tatude

New in Town
Well I took photos and sent them to photobucket but I have no idea how to post them here. Tried for a hour had to give up.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Copy the IMG code and paste it into your post. It will look something like this, but with a closed bracket at the end. You only want up to the .jpg.
IMG

Tatude

New in Town
Ok thanks. I would have never figured that out. That came out scary big :). Its the same dimensions as the movie hat. Still working on the shape.

Last edited:

Tatude

New in Town
Thanks. The photos could have come out better and smaller lol but I'm new to some of this tech stuff. Still can't get an avatar yet. I wasn't in love with the hat the day I got it but am much happier the second time I tried it on. Maybe I was having a bad face day or something. Quality is top notch.

bostonbrewer

New in Town
I got my first Optimo last week. The Optimo in oxblood:

PEAvatar50.jpg

I'm hooked and want to get a second one. What do you guys think of the brim width on this hat? This is 2", and I'm thinking of 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" on the next. I have a narrower face. Tiffani at Optimo told me that I should stick around 2" after she saw my photos. She also said that what is stingy for one, is not stingy for another. Interesting. What do you guys think?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brim width is OK, but could try a bit more height in the crown, especially if you increase the brim width. Your opinion, of course, matters most.

Tatude

New in Town
Looks good. My oxblood has a five inch crown and took me a bit to get used too. My other hats are 4 1/2. I like the brim size but 2" is my personal limit as to what looks good on me.

I got my first Optimo last week. The Optimo in oxblood:

PEAvatar50.jpg

I'm hooked and want to get a second one. What do you guys think of the brim width on this hat? This is 2", and I'm thinking of 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" on the next. I have a narrower face. Tiffani at Optimo told me that I should stick around 2" after she saw my photos. She also said that what is stingy for one, is not stingy for another. Interesting. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure what to suggest on your next hat, but I can't stop looking at this photo. It's fantastic.

bostonbrewer

New in Town
I'm not sure what to suggest on your next hat, but I can't stop looking at this photo. It's fantastic.

Thanks Alan. Photography is one of my other hobbies. It's great when they cross paths on occasion.

I actually was using this photo for a test of my post-processing technique to recreate the movie poster for public enemies. I thought since I got the hat, I might as well use it for a cool photo. I now need to go around the city and shoot parts for the composite. I also need to acquire a Tommy-gun. :)

GamaH

A-List Customer
I'm guessing most of you here are not from Chicago, IL. If that is the case, how did most if not all of you get your Optimo Hats?

Reason I'm asking is that I see quite a number of hats I want badly, on the Optimo Hats website (6, to be exact). I'm wondering how I can go about obtaining one (or six) of these works of art, if it is *impossible* at the moment for me to purchase one in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy