Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
For those that think Optimo is expensive, check out this guy:

http://www.szaszi.com/en/index.htm

Entry models are €800, which is over $1000! (Of course, according to the site, the animals are not harmed, and only shorn of their fur. Are we to believe there's a farm somewhere in Europe with shaved beavers running around? Er, don't misread that.)

That being said, I think most of the important points about pricing have already been stated. Sure there's the talk of branding, but I hardly think that's the case with Optimo. When I hear "branding" I think of buying a shirt in a department store for $300 that's been made in China- something where you're buying a name rather than devoted craftsmanship. Graham is running a brick and mortar store with plenty of employees and mouths to feed. Art as far as I know is a one man operation, which leads to lower costs. Both make excellent hats, and both Graham and Art have had to raise their prices in the last year due to increasing costs.

And RLK and Lefty have both brought up diminishing returns, which as far as I know is present in all clothing. Shell cordovan has been mentioned- there's a big case of diminishing returns! You can get a pair of Alden boots for just over $600. You could also get Edward Green to build you some made to order shell cordovan boots for well over $1000, thanks to having to ship the Shell over the Atlantic a couple of times. Does the price mean Edward Green boots are really twice as good as a pair of Aldens? Perhaps they are to a British boot lover. Once one really gets into appreciating any sort of art or craftsmanship, one can really becoming victim to such nitpicking obsession over details.

It's all in the eyes of the buyer. If you can't justify spending $600 for a hat, then don't force yourself too. Plenty of excellent alternatives exist. But for those that can (or don't need to) justify it and enjoy the product, then why not?

Hamletsghost

New in Town
NICE linc - Nice hutmacher - :eeek: NICE PRICES :eeek:
Check also Lock & Co in London for Bespoke - Yikes......:eek:

But as has been pointed out. Youz payz yer money youz gets yer hat.
Those willing to shell out the serious samoleans gets a fine piece of goods - no bout a doubt it.
Many would say WOW you spent a HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE on that Stylemaster. Or 200 on that Stetson or Borsollino ?? - YER NUTZ :p
Others will think I'm nuts when I get my money up for my VS.
Many would think we are ALL nuts for paying the prices we do for what we want.

I was just at my orthopedic surgeon, who is also an old friend.
He had asked about one of my Akubras last year & while we talked I told him about Optimo (only 45 minutes from my house - lucky us).
So off he went about a month or so back.
He bought a beeeeeutiful Optimo Fedora (sorry not sure which model) almost same color & form as my Akubra (and a Monticristi I have yet to see).
I had my Stylemaster & put it side by side & obviously the Optimo wuz de Primo of the 2 - Not that mine isn't a nice hat which I adore BUT I was droolin over the Optimo. Warm & plush to the hand - subtle - striking - understated elegance. With a fit & finish of a Bentley. And the obvious pride of ownership of the same. WHAT A HAT :D - (I think I need a cigarette)

And while Keith said it was an expensive hat - he also said it was worth EVERY penny for the quality and service he recieved.
No - I can't afford an Optimo NOW - I will barely be able to sqeek a VS this year ( I DO have many other interrests and collections - horrors that - that suck my funds in different dirrections).

So - At the end of the day - I agree completely with the school of thought that Graham is an artist - as many others we deal with here on the lounge are - This young man is one of the folks leading the charge into the revival of what was becoming a truely lost art & he has put all of himself into his lifes work and he deserves to get the recompense that his artistry & commitment deserves & the market will bear.

Just my 2 cents - cuz datz all I gots left.
:rolleyes:

PS: How many here think nuttin of spending 10 - 20 for a fine cigar gone in a puff o' smoke - or a C note for a fine bottle o' whiskey gone shortly thereafter.
It's all in your tastes & desires and how much you really want the finest things you can eek out of this short existance - One of my favorite characters Don Beach had a GREAT philosophy that fits perfectly -
Don the Beachcomber's Rule Number One: "Enjoy life and spend every penny I make."

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Neil: I do believe there are other hat makers out there that can do just as good a job at making a hat (Gary White, Art Fawcett come to mind), . I have 2 Optimos and another that hopefully will arrive today (a straw milan for summer). However, for straws I also believe that Optimo makes the best.

Neil

A-List Customer
Thanks for this link. It looks interesting. I think we have had a good airing of the price issue. Most points well taken. I don't want to look like I'm beating on Graham. The guy makes a good hat, and is a fine salesman, and in the end, it's all a matter of personal taste and limits.

How 'bout a little more sed.........

http://www.falconparkhattery.com/Home.html

He looks like the sweet spot.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Sure there's the talk of branding, but I hardly think that's the case with Optimo. When I hear "branding" I think of buying a shirt in a department store for $300 that's been made in China- something where you're buying a name rather than devoted craftsmanship.

Agreed. Another example of what you're saying. I went in Barneys NY (The highest end dept. store here) a few days ago to look for some shoes. I stumbled upon their hats. Believe me, they had straw hats (coarse brisa cuenca stingy brims) that any of our hatters here will consider rejects and would sell for $35-$50 bucks tops. How much just because they have "Barneys NYC" on their cloth sweatbands? $600. As lexyB. pointed out, you're not buying the hat, you're buying the Barneys Logo. I was appalled.

As lexyB. pointed out, you're not buying the hat, you're buying the Barneys Logo. I was appalled.

There is a bit of real estate and other fixed costs represented in the Barney's price tag too. If the demand for fedoras heats up to the digital camera pitch, I guess we'll all be buying our hats on Amazon for the best value.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was thinking of the new fancy website and their electronic newsletter. It may not be a billboard, but it's still advertisement.
I was going to comment on that, I don't like their new website setup. It's no longer possible to click on a hat and see the color, hat band size, crown height, brim size etc. You used to at least click on a hat and get the color and style I think.

Later

Bingles

A-List Customer
I do want to clarify though, I am quite impressed with the hats coming from Optimo.. and want to travel to Chicago just to see the place in person and perhaps even meet Mr. Graham, whom I have much esteem for. One day I intend to add the Optimo label to my collect, but I can't see that happening any time soon because of the added cost of an Optimo hat for whatever the reason.

I just happen to be fortunate enough to have an amazing hatter here in Buffalo, and have been more than happy with the quality, price and service I have received from The Custom Hatter -- though I would someday like to order a hat from the great Art as well as the newer company of Black Sheep Hat Works. I have heard wonderful things about both, and their rates are very reasonable.

It is nice to know that America still has some wonderful hatters out there -- and options as to where to go is always a nice thing! :)

DRB

One Too Many
I have 3 hats on order with The Custom Hatter, and one another due to arrive tomorrow. Bingles you are fortunate to live so close to Gary's shop.

Gary made me a mink and beaver hat that I admire and cherish more than my Optimo 1000 and for a fraction of the price. I also like the idea of helping the underdog.:)

But Optimo has something that Gary does not, Tiffany, isn't she a sweetheart?

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up

If I weren't married I'd ask her out! she's SUCH a sweetheart!

PS: Dennis, post that great new milan of yours here, would you?

Last edited:

Neil

A-List Customer
Barney's

Agreed. Another example of what you're saying. I went in Barneys NY (The highest end dept. store here) a few days ago to look for some shoes. I stumbled upon their hats. Believe me, they had straw hats (coarse brisa cuenca stingy brims) that any of our hatters here will consider rejects and would sell for $35-$50 bucks tops. How much just because they have "Barneys NYC" on their cloth sweatbands? $600. As lexyB. pointed out, you're not buying the hat, you're buying the Barneys Logo. I was appalled.

Yep. Barney's also sells calfskin Alden longwing bluchers for about $150 more than J. Crew or any of the other Alden retailers. The typical Barney's customer, I guess, is an idiot in a cheap hat and nice shoes he collectively paid seven or eight hundred bucks too much for.

Neil

A-List Customer
I have 3 hats on order with The Custom Hatter, and one another due to arrive tomorrow. Bingles you are fortunate to live so close to Gary's shop.

Gary made me a mink and beaver hat that I admire and cherish more than my Optimo 1000 and for a fraction of the price. I also like the idea of helping the underdog.:)

DRB:

You like the Gary White hat better than that Optimo 1000 you bought? Yowsers.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Yep. Barney's also sells calfskin Alden longwing bluchers for about $150 more than J. Crew or any of the other Alden retailers. The typical Barney's customer, I guess, is an idiot in a cheap hat and nice shoes he collectively paid seven or eight hundred bucks too much for.

PS: I didn't buy the shoes I went there looking for. Lol!

The typical Barney's customer, I guess, is an idiot in a cheap hat and nice shoes he collectively paid seven or eight hundred bucks too much for.

I think you might have to spend some more time in Barney's before you write the review.

When I was a kid, Barney's was a place to go for an inexpensive bar mitzvah suit. When I went back as a young man, it had been transformed into one of the most elegant fashion forward stores in the U.S. In the 1980's, they had more esoteric Japanese designer departments than most stores had designer departments. It is very much in the class of iconic operations that we eulogize regularly on the FL... except it is still alive. Perhaps not the best place to shop for a fedora bargain, but definitely a destination if you enjoy fashion.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I think you might have to spend some more time in Barney's before you write the review.

When I was a kid, Barney's was a place to go for an inexpensive bar mitzvah suit. When I went back as a young man, it had been transformed into one of the most elegant fashion forward stores in the U.S. In the 1980's, they had more esoteric Japanese designer departments than most stores had designer departments. It is very much in the class of iconic operations that we eulogize regularly on the FL... except it is still alive. Perhaps not the best place to shop for a fedora bargain, but definitely a destination if you enjoy fashion.

Absolutely true. Just not for hats. I love that place even though they didn't have the shoes I wanted.
We're getting very off thread topic, gulp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner