Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
There are, according to reliable sources of the fairer sex, at least fifty shades of grey. lol

Congratulations on the beautiful additions to your growing family. I see that the trauma of your hat losses has left an indelible mark on your psyche. ;)

Ha! good one, Al. And thanks, my friend. Graham is running out of gray felts for me :eeek:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice to see you, Ale! That Exile is really something special. All of them are great. I've been wondering when the Optimo thread would pop up again.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Jeff. What Graham is achieving is unbelievable. The Exile's finish feels just like my Borsalino qualita suprema from the 40's. Truly remarkable craftsmanship.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Gorgeous hats, Aureliano! Do you know what block Graham used on the modified Manhattan? Really like the effect it has.

Also, what are the specs on those beauties? -M

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. Hmm.. I'm not sure what block. This hat belonged to a couple of loungers before me... I had it re-blocked to use a little bit of the brim to make the crown a little more tall, keeping it (the brim) at 2 1/2 inches. I asked Graham to shape it like the Manhattan.
All my Optimos are 2 1/2 brims with crowns going from 5 to 6 inches OC

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I made a trip to Optimo on Saturday with fellow Lounge member Mulceber, to the downtown location in the loop. I ended up ordering a fino montecristi in anticipation of summer, and Mulceber bought himself a 1000 in silverbelly.

IMG_4763_zpse0c344d1.jpg

Mine is identical to this, although I ordered it with a darker ribbon, named 'nicotine'. It's a charcoal grey with some warmer undertones.

IMG_4764_zpsfc747223.jpg

It comes in at around 750 wpsi.

IMG_4766_zps1fb1364b.jpg

The lighting got messed up in this shot but it shows the weave a little closer.

IMG_4765_zpsb118f49c.jpg

IMG_4770_zps618b8552.jpg

This is the new ribbon.

IMG_4768_zps7093bf0e.jpg

Mulceber ordered a Cagney 1000 in their undyed silverbelly, with a fantastic dark navy (nearly black) vintage ribbon.

IMG_4771_zps68aecd9e.jpg

IMG_4772_zps39a8b48d.jpg

IMG_4774_zpse1437126.jpg

We also had some fun trying out the shop's Allie-Maillard conformateur. Apparently I am a square oval.

IMG_4778_zps7e64c226.jpg

Mulceber doesn't appear to find it particularly comfortable.

Last edited:

Hamlet

New in Town
ania_zps20a59073.jpg

My Oxblood Porkpie at work this weekend. Willowbrook, so technically not the southside, but she IS Polish.
(not me modeling)

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
The Panama I ordered arrived last weekend.

IMG_4828_zpse828d865.jpg

IMG_4829_zps14217eb8.jpg

IMG_4843_zps6ee594e9.jpg

IMG_4845_zps35754778.jpg

IMG_4846_zpsb8f8077e.jpg

IMG_4848_zps5b7b2814.jpg

IMG_4851_zpsc9c12b85.jpg

IMG_4854_zps3e0fe4cf.jpg

I couldn't be more impressed with it! These pictures turned out a great deal more white/ivory than the warmer color it appears in person. The ribbon is a dark charcoal with warm undertones called Nicotine. It's blocked as a much rounder oval head shape so for once, the brim will not freak out when I put it on.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I couldn't be more impressed with how it turned out. I'm afraid you may have inspired me to want one of Optimo's fine panama's, flute...my next trip to Chicago could end up being just as expensive as my first one. :eusa_doh:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The Panama I ordered arrived last weekend.

IMG_4854_zps3e0fe4cf.jpg

I couldn't be more impressed with it! These pictures turned out a great deal more white/ivory than the warmer color it appears in person. The ribbon is a dark charcoal with warm undertones called Nicotine. It's blocked as a much rounder oval head shape so for once, the brim will not freak out when I put it on.

MY, that is one sharp fedora sir! I am very impressed. After veiwing the Optimo hats showcased on this thread and forum, it is apparent that I need to make time to visit them in Chicago.

Darn nice hat.

Best, Eric -

wine65

One of the Regulars
Flute,
Great Montecristi enjoy!

The milan I recieved last season from Optimo, its been my go to casual hat.

IMG_0540_2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo