Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
VS oxblood is darker than Optimo.

VS:
IMG_20130402_175855_zpseb225125.jpg

Optimo:
20130128_140242.jpg

Optimo's felt has a slightly stronger purple undertone.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting the pics, Jared. You might be the only person (or at least part of a very select group) who owns the VS and the Optimo.

The new VS Black Cherry is closer to the Optimo than the original version.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
One of these days I'll get around to snagging a direct comparison under the same lighting. I actually did try to do it the day before yesterday - completely coincidental to this thread - but lighting wasn't cooperating.

Edit: ok, here it is anyway:
20130522_114543_zps23757ee5.jpg

Indoors, natural lighting only. Much harder to see the difference

Last edited:

GamaH

A-List Customer
So, I have a Silverbelly fedora en route to me, and I received an email from Tiffani saying, "Upon final inspection of your hats, Graham and I noticed a tiny dag in the felt on the edge of your brim. We sent the hat so you could inspect it yourself. Most Silverbelly's have some sort of small defects due to the nature of the felt, however this is right on the line of being acceptable to us."

I don't have the hat yet, so I'm not exactly sure what she's saying here -- at least not as far as hats go. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem seems to be? I know what a dag means, but I can't picture it in terms of a hat, or what it has to do with felt. Being that most, if not all of their Heirloom felts are beaver belly, why is the silverbelly felt prone to small defects?

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's interesting, GamaH. This is an Optimo 1000 right? I would have have thought they would just remake a hat at that price point that was "...right on the line of being acceptable..." rather than ship it to the client to decide.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It would be a very small- but larger scale than the smooth invisible interlockings- piece of fur fiber visible. All vintage hats-even 40's and 100's have these if you look close enough. The Silverbelly is undyed and belly fur so has less processing to begin with relative to most felts.

GamaH

A-List Customer
That's interesting, GamaH. This is an Optimo 1000 right? I would have have thought they would just remake a hat at that price point that was "...right on the line of being acceptable..." rather than ship it to the client to decide.

Yeah, it's an Optimo1000. Generally speaking, I trust Graham not to sell me an inferior or defective product, so I guess we'll have to see how noticeable it is. I'll take pictures on Monday (which is when it's supposed to arrive).

It would be a very small- but larger scale than the smooth invisible interlockings- piece of fur fiber visible. All vintage hats-even 40's and 100's have these if you look close enough. The Silverbelly is undyed and belly fur so has less processing to begin with relative to most felts.

Kinda like "pilling" on a polo-tee? In any case, I noticed that on Optimo's website, picture #2 for the Silverbelly Rush Street (#209) has a darkish spot/nick at the back of the crown. Would that be what Tiffani is talking about, or is that something else?

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Could be color variation or just textural--would need to see in person. I see the spot in the photo, but it might be something on the hat that remained unnoticed that can be brushed off.

GamaH

A-List Customer
So based on your earlier response regarding vintage 40s/100s and dags, I'm guessing it's an acceptable flaw (at least in your opinion)? As mentioned above, I'll post a few pictures once I receive the hats -- a picture speaks a thousand words and all.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Depends upon size and location and you certainly don't want a chunk(exaggerated perhaps) that will come out. If you can't find it without a magnifier and/or assistance it would certainly be acceptable. If you find it easily and begin to notice it whenever you look at the hat, then I would say no.

GamaH

A-List Customer
It's on the edge of the brim. How big, I'm not sure, though Tiffani called it "tiny."

Aerol

A-List Customer
Optimo's standards are very high. I've noticed that things that are invisible to me are problems to them. RLK is right: if it concerns you, send it back. If not, just enjoy the hat.

GamaH

A-List Customer
RLK is right: if it concerns you, send it back.
Hopefully it won't come to that, and based on my previous Optimos -- all superb -- it most probably won't. That said, what's their policy regarding such things? I mean, I can't imagine them (or anyone really) replacing a thousand dollar hat, but at the same time if it could be fixed with a simple touch up, wouldn't they have done so prior to sending it out?

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Light colored felts will generally reveal minute flaws under close scrutiny, especially Graham's undyed Silver(beaver)belly and Porcelain. It is my experience and observation that Graham is exceedingly obsessive about detail(with hats), sets an inordinately high standard for himself and his staff, and constantly strives to raise the bar even higher.

Difficult to comment on the particular flaw referred to in this instance without a hands-on inspection, or at least some detailed photos, but my guess is that Graham observed the issue on final inspection and wanted to make you aware that this was noted on his end before shipping.

GamaH

A-List Customer
I've received my hats.

More pictures (of the others as well), will come later. But for now, I think this is what Tiffani was talking about, because I can't find any other flaw. Opinions?

3y0r.jpg

qr8i.jpg

rpin.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo