Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Aero 42-18775-P

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket is from Aero's last Wartime contract for A2s, awarded on 25th May 1942. The contract was for 50,000 and I wonder how many have survived to this day. As with Aero's preceding two contracts cowhide was used in this contract. Some jackets had rust knits and others a mid brown. This jacket had moth-eaten knits so I replaced them with the ones shown below. The rest of the jacket is original. The leather has developed a beautiful patina and remains strong, yet supple. The M-41 Talon zipper is perfect. My question for you guys is what size do you think it is?

thor

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket Andrew! The seal brown Aero with red knits is my all-time favorite version of the venerable A-2 (one reason why I bought my "ultimate" A-2, an ELC .50 Cal, which is quite reminiscent of the one you have just posted).

BobJ

Practically Family
That is one beautiful jacket. It's amazing how leather can last so long and age with such character. As to the size... To my eye, the pockets and knits look a bit on the large side, relative to the rest of the jacket, so I'm going to guess it's a smaller size, say a 36 or 38 (unless that's you wearing it).

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
What do you do with your old Knits and bits...please keep me in mind if you are selling off or trading for The Ratty ones. Please tell me you kept them with the Jacket at least...I would be interested to Repair them.

Marv

A-List Customer
that jacket's a beaut Andrew, normally i'm not a fan of the red knits/seal combo but your replacements seem a very subtle rust colour which really lends itself to the jacket shade, is the hide a dark russet or a light seal in shade......looks great and definitely fits you really well, I'll go with a wartime size of 44".

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you do with your old Knits and bits...please keep me in mind if you are selling off or trading for The Ratty ones. Please tell me you kept them with the Jacket at least...I would be interested to Repair them.

They were beyond repair, but I have kept them to use to repair other knits in the future.

Stand By

One Too Many
I have no idea except that it's a beauty! It's amazeballs!
I mean, there were so many thousands of A2s of many makers and the majority were so similar that they had a somewhat generic look - so, few stand out from the pack for me - but this is one. It must be those red Aero knits …!

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
My mother is a knitter, she says you need someone who is a knitter who can pick up the stitches in the holes to keep them from unraveling, it can be done, however small the knitting needles and how tedious it might seem. Will take your word that they were blown out pretty bad of course. But Never say die. Glad you are keeping them with the collection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy