Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Stetson Whippet is worth??

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
If it's on ebay and a larger size, quite a bit. They have been selling for a real premium these days. Which has kind of amazed me they go for so much, as they were a $10.00 hat originally. They were no where near the quality of some of the other Stetsons of the same era, at least not the ones I've owed. But they do typify that era and they have a great look.

fedoralover

billyspew

One Too Many
I would say it's not just the whippet, but a hat of that era is worth a pretty penny. I've paid $180 for a whippet. I also have pretty much the exact same hat from Adam of that era that I paid $120 for. I think it's just that the style of the whippet appeals to many people.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Depends on size, vintage, color and other factors. I would use the ultimate price guide, ebay. If you're registered you can search through completed listings and see exactly what they've been selling for.

Anj

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
A Brown Whippet just recently sold for a little over $300.00, at the same time a Resistol with a cavanagh edge, in great shape and 3 times the quality didn't meet the reserve with the max bid of $102.00. Go figure.

fedoralover

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Worth what somebody will pay for it. Simple as that.

I bought my mint condition NOS Whippet from a member here for $180. I've seen them on Ebay for anywhere from $100 to over $700 (the height of the craze).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
How much about would you guys say an original Stetson Whippet is worth in fair to good condition?

Condition is the real issue, to me.
Not that I plan on paying over a hundred bucks for a vintage hat, unless journalism suddenly becomes A LOT more lucrative.
Nevertheless, if you are going to pay three-figures and end up with a "fair to good" condition hat, why bother? I mean, why not spend the same amount of money for a brand new fur felt hat?

I haven't handled one of the new Whippets, but some of you have suggested they are well worth their price. For daily wear, that might be the route to consider.

Just saying ....

Sam

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Benny, as an alternative to paying high price for a Whippet, why not look at one of the custom guys like TonyB (here on the forum) or the Black Sheep Hat guy? Either of those could set you up with a great hat, styled just how you want it for about $300 or so - a similar price to getting a decent condition Whippet on eBay.

I've bid on a couple of vintage Whippets over the last few months, but the price has quickly gotten to more than I'd want to pay. To be honest, I also prefer to support someone who is an enthusiast, who's taken the trouble to learn how to make quality hats, that some random eBay seller as well.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07: Worth what somebody will pay for it. Simple as that.

Well, while I understand the point you are making and maybe it's just semantics with me, but just because someone Overpays for an item, that doesn't actually make it worth that amount. People get auction fever all the time and they pay more than what something is really worth. The seller is happy as a clam, but the buyer may end up realizing that they and at least one other person got caught up in a bidding frenzy and just flat out paid too much.

I've had several Whippets, at present I only have one and it's by far on the lower end in quality of my other vintage hats I own. It has been greatly overpriced on the bay and I would never pay more than $125 to $150 for one. If it's going more than that, I'd just as soon save up a little more and have Art make me a clone and it would be 10 times the quality of an original. But hey, it's not my money, it's just my opinion and it's no better than anyone elses.
fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner