Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original WWII Bronco restoration help

usdiver

New in Town
Hi guys, I'm trying to fit into an original WWII Bronco.. but it needs some TLC and care...as the hide in some places is cracked and dry. The last Bronco I had received some treatment with gliptone...however this one is not in as bad shape and has been well looked after much better than the other one, but at the same time I think fear has been a factor in preserving it in a way that nothing has been put on it. Anyone have any suggestions, or what do we think of saddle soap, neatsfoot oil, and if so, what kind is best, and how would one go about giving it the best treatment? Thanks.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi usdiver.......don't let that Bronco keep you awake.
With some luck "aswatland" (Andrew) will see your post sometime tomorrow and weigh in on this. You would be wise to follow his advice.
Until then, don't worry. It would help if you could post pictures of the areas you are concerned about.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Most of the posters on this board recommend Pecard. I have used it for several years with good result. As an aside, the Smithsonian uses it for their restoration projects.

As Coffee said, Andrew will be on in a few hours and will have the definitive words of advice.

usdiver

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I already have some picards, but i'm thinking the jacket needs to be cleaned first and i was reading about saddle soap or neatsfoot oil. I don't think it's ever had any of that and the last thing i wanna do is harm it. I'll get pics soon as I can.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys for the info. I already have some picards, but i'm thinking the jacket needs to be cleaned first and i was reading about saddle soap or neatsfoot oil. I don't think it's ever had any of that and the last thing i wanna do is harm it. I'll get pics soon as I can.

I wouldn't use saddle soap or neatsfoot, in my experience they can weaken the leather. Just wipe it with a damp soapy cloth then pecard it. The pecards will remove dirt too.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got back from a week's vacation and have not been on TFL.

It would be helpful to see some pics of the Bronco before I would suggest doing anything to the jacket.

usdiver

New in Town
Sorry for the delay in responding Andrew, but here are the pics...
ExtraPics016.jpg

ExtraPics015.jpg

ExtraPics014.jpg

ExtraPics013.jpg

ExtraPics011.jpg

ExtraPics008.jpg

ExtraPics007.jpg

ExtraPics006.jpg

ExtraPics004.jpg

ExtraPics005.jpg

aswatland

I see there are some areas where the surface is beginning to flake. I owned a Bronco one with the same problem. I tried Pecards but it does not reverse the aging process on leather, just helps to keep it supple. Once a jacket starts to flake like this there is really little that can be done.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's interesting, Andrew. What do you think causes the flaking? Is it inherent in the leather or how it may have been kept? Did Bronco use a particular type of hide predisposed to this? By the way, from the photos on my monitor the leather looks fine.

aswatland

I have seen flaking on other contract A2s. Some batches of leather were better tanned than others. How the jacket was stored since the War will clearly affect the condition of the leather. Depot re-painted jackets seem particularly prone to flaking in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR