Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscars and period pieces.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Like 99.9999999999999999999% of the population, I did not watch the Oscars this year. This despite the fact that all or nearly all of the major contenders are streaming films available to us. And no joke, my wife on being asked if we wanted to watch it replied "that's tonight"???

I do hope to catch some of them. The Ma Rainey one, Nomadland, Mank, etc., as we do in fact appreciate quieter, dare I say, "art house" films, which seem to be the Oscar trend recently. Some I enjoy at least in part because of the (attempt at least) at period dress.

And gotta be honest. If I watch an entertainment show, I want to be entertained. Not preached at.

I go to church for that...

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It’s odd how so many period dramas get best costuming when a Sears catalog and piles of vintage clothing tend to be the material studied by the costumers.

This year we get Mank on the running for Beat picture. I don’t know about the movie, but I do have a prediction for best actor at these oscars.

Sir, fedora and homburg gent though now drawn toward caps. Looking for a newsie to match Irish coarse tweed topper. Did you look at the American footballers Leatherheads? Those caps best the lot. Any suggestions please do reply.
As to this year I am surprised Danielle Deadwyler and Til failed Oscar cheering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points