Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

gear-guy

Practically Family
Great for you I like Esty more than eBay set price and fair deals.

Hey wise, I don't know which part of Louisville you live in but if you visit daisy's antique mall there is a booth in the back that specializes in retro clothing and hats. I have purchased many great fedoras from this place. If you're interested give it a try.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
What's an API?

"Application Programming Interface". It's an interface you can use to get data in and out of the "Etsy-machine" ... a set of defined commands and responses. You can use the interface to include Etsy-data on your own website - or you can use it with local programs. EBay also has an API. That is what the sniper-programs use to get data from EBay and to post your bids.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Was lucky and bought this hat 2 days ago. As I have bemoaned a thousand times, early 1930s hats are hard to find so when I get one I'm crazy happy:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/173112348?ref=fb2_tnx_title

I have been finding and winning a lot of these 30s hats lately and notice that many of them have these ugly feathers. I promptly remove them even though I feel terrible for throwing away Golden Era feathers but what else am I going to do with them? Once the ugly stringy feathers are removed I'm left with a smart and simple short brimmed 30s topper which is just my style.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Was lucky and bought this hat 2 days ago. As I have bemoaned a thousand times, early 1930s hats are hard to find so when I get one I'm crazy happy:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/173112348?ref=fb2_tnx_title

I have been finding and winning a lot of these 30s hats lately and notice that many of them have these ugly feathers. I promptly remove them even though I feel terrible for throwing away Golden Era feathers but what else am I going to do with them? Once the ugly stringy feathers are removed I'm left with a smart and simple short brimmed 30s topper which is just my style.

Looks a great buy.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Early 20s or older Homburg that was sold by Henry the Hatter before it was 'Henry the hatter'

ma8ydary.jpg

pa6eqase.jpg

u7a6y7yz.jpg

jymaba5u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Put it on the Garve or other such hat stretcher, Ole. You might get just enough to wear it... It IS cute.

Seriously sick Hommy, Justin. Man, you just keep finding winners!!!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I think you'll be OK. They are too young to know about eating one's hat.

The oldest is 13 - and a boy. That spells five approaching years of eating anything that can be torn from a fridge or squeezed into a microwave (Note to self: Remember to epoxy the fridge-thermometer!) lol

Charlie: Thanks, but I'm just trying to work on being a pin-head :D

Rick Blaine

TUTUHandmadeHats on etsy

TUTUHandmadeHats. is a third generation hatter in Belgrade Serbia, with the closest hat store to the rail station, providing tremendous foot traffic back in the day, I imagine. It sounds as though you can pretty much get a bespoke from him. I wonder where he sources his felt as he has a UK address as well.

bond

Ok, here it goes. I don't take pleasure in putting this out here but I feel that this is warranted and others should know about the Montecristi Hat shop of Santa Fe nm and the really disgusting interaction I had with the owner this morning. I recently purchased a montecristi hat on eBay and it was originally from this aforementioned store by the sweat stamp . There was a owners name stamped into the sweat as well and being new to montecristis in general I thought I would call the store and try to see if I could get some info about the hat as well as ask about their renovation costs regarding a new sweat and a reblock. To my amazement the owner whom I talked to hung up on me telling me that he didn't have time to answer qs , this is before telling me putting a new sweatband in and the whole Reno would cost a flat 300...
Long story short I called him back to tell him I didn't appreciate being hung up on and low and behold he hung up again. All this at approx 9 30 this am, now that I was curious as to why someone who has a store would act so rude to a potential customer I sent him an email telling him I didn't appreciate the way he handeled the situation he replied later today with a curt "Go F- yourself" email back to me.
For what its worth I am putting this here as acknowledgement that I got the email loud and clear and now so does all of the other fedora lounge members here. All of this because I read his website and he seemed like a knowledgable person who might have enlightened me. Boy did he ever.
Buyers beware of this place and in particular of the rudeness of this proprietor of this so called business .

The panama hat biz seems to generate more hat passion and heat than most. Perhaps he didn't want to provide information to support another seller?

bond

Your fishing Alan . Are you serious? What difference who calls some one that has a business wanting info to decide whether or not to spend their money with them or not ? What gives any one the right to treat someone like shit because they don't want to take time talking on the phone ?I wanted to have the hat reblocked and get a new sweat there , buy not at the 300. He was asking for. I also wanted to ask about the quality of weave as I did send pics too , he gave me the date and original cost of hat because original owners name was in sweat, but when I fudged on cost of rebuild he hung up and then sent me not one but several emails telling me to F off, all after telling him I would definitely not be sending him a hat to reblock now or anytime on the future . He's a charmer for sure I hope everyone here reads up on this guy before considering giving him any business in the future .

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was going to get a couple of these (several actually with different colour ribbons) for the summer.
Think I'll pass now :(

mchw-L.png

Just kidding of course, I had always thought that $12k Brent Black hat was the most expensive Panama, but this bloke has it well beaten!

RBH

Bartender
Ok, here it goes. I don't take pleasure in putting this out here but I feel that this is warranted and others should know about the Montecristi Hat shop of Santa Fe nm and the really disgusting interaction I had with the owner this morning. I recently purchased a montecristi hat on eBay and it was originally from this aforementioned store by the sweat stamp . There was a owners name stamped into the sweat as well and being new to montecristis in general I thought I would call the store and try to see if I could get some info about the hat as well as ask about their renovation costs regarding a new sweat and a reblock. To my amazement the owner whom I talked to hung up on me telling me that he didn't have time to answer qs , this is before telling me putting a new sweatband in and the whole Reno would cost a flat 300...
Long story short I called him back to tell him I didn't appreciate being hung up on and low and behold he hung up again. All this at approx 9 30 this am, now that I was curious as to why someone who has a store would act so rude to a potential customer I sent him an email telling him I didn't appreciate the way he handeled the situation he replied later today with a curt "Go F- yourself" email back to me.
For what its worth I am putting this here as acknowledgement that I got the email loud and clear and now so does all of the other fedora lounge members here. All of this because I read his website and he seemed like a knowledgable person who might have enlightened me. Boy did he ever.
Buyers beware of this place and in particular of the rudeness of this proprietor of this so called business .

I met the gent at the WESA Market in Denver.
Not the most friendly hatter I met.

On the other hand I had a nice talk with J.D. Noble, The Hatsmith of Santa Fe.
A real nice fellow who bought me and Major Moore a cold beer while we talked hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes